Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,171,369 times

Advertisements

Recently, there was talk of the Florida Marlins moving, and charlotte was one of the possible relocating sites. Though I'm not a baseball fan, many newcomers have come from baseball loving states. If this happens, which city in the carolinas do you think would best support a franchise? And, just for fun, what would you name the team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 02:24 AM

58 posts, read 228,137 times
I dont think any state/city would support the marlins. Ownership dosent spend much money, and once the triple-a players they develop become good and win the world series, the marlins management wont pay them, so they dump them.

NC is a big minor league baseball state. The Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats are very popular. As for the majors, this is part of the Atlanta Braves territory that has engulfed most of the southeast.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:30 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,102,221 times
Thumbs up Red Sox Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Recently, there was talk of the Florida Marlins moving, and charlotte was one of the possible relocating sites. Though I'm not a baseball fan, many newcomers have come from baseball loving states. If this happens, which city in the carolinas do you think would best support a franchise? And, just for fun, what would you name the team?
As a transplant who has supported The Boston Red Sox since childhood I would welcome a MLB team here in The Carolinas and would root for and support whatever team comes here. (not sure what I will do when they play The Sox, however

I am not sure which city would best support this new team - Charlotte, Raleigh or Winston-Salem - but if given the chance to select the new team's name it would be The Carolina Sluggers (remembering we need South Carolina's support as well)....my two cents for what that's worth!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
I'm sure the Charlotte taxpayers would welcome another tax increase to build another stadium for another private for profit corporation.

And with the breaking news about rampant steroid abuse, perhaps MLB should just close down, they have nothing to offer but a bad example.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm sure the Charlotte taxpayers would welcome another tax increase to build another stadium for another private for profit corporation.

And with the breaking news about rampant steroid abuse, perhaps MLB should just close down, they have nothing to offer but a bad example.
I agree with you with the first, we are still upset over bobcats arena, but in the next 10 years or so, this will probably be a hot topic in charlotte. And yes,they need to prevent all the steroid abuse in the future.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:09 PM

52 posts, read 183,407 times
I heard the new stadium in Charlotte for the knights will be expandable for a major league team. Being a Red Sox Fantic and just moving done here I would love to have a ML team w/in a short drive.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM

168 posts, read 689,069 times
Forget MLB...let's get a MLS team closer than DC!!! :P

Old 12-18-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Forget MLB...let's get a MLS team closer than DC!!! :P
I thought Cary could be a home for a MLS team, until i saw SAS park is too small.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM

168 posts, read 689,069 times
I'd be fine with a team in Charlotte or maybe Greenville, SC? You'd think as popular as soccer is here in NC, we'd have a team closer than DC. *shrugs*

Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,112,373 times
There are people working hard behind the scenes trying to get ML ball to Charlotte. The new KInights "uptown" stadium will be the testing ground. If sponsorship and ticket sales are strong I would expect the money to attract ML ball would suddenly appear. If the PR is done correctly and the public "demands" ML ball, we could see something like "Hornets Hysteria" that swept this area just before NBA basketball arrived.

Would the Charlotte-Metrolina region suppost ML baseball? That's an interesting question. There are plenty of baseball fans here. Many of them are die-hard Atlanta Braves fans who have been following the adventures of the "Southern" team since the Hank Aaron homerun days.

Baseball fans, regardless of their team allegiances, buy tickets and go out to the games because they love the game. The Knights have been playing in Ft. Mill which is a long haul for many fans even though it is right on I-77. They have decent attendence. Two nearby A clubs, The Kannapolis Intimidators and the Hickory Crawdads, draw well.

In light of all that is positive about bringing Major League baseball to Charlotte there is one serious negative that will be difficult to overcome. Charlotteans voted down a proposed tax package to build the new uptown (Bobcats) arena. The mayor and city counsel however, disregarded the wishes of the electorate and passed the tax package anyway. Thus Bobcats Arena was built. That upset many people who withdrew support. It also left a bad taste in the mouth of many who saw the action by the mayor and city counsel as distasteful.

The region is lukewarm to the Bobcats. Part of the reason for the lukewarm reception is the shifty politics. Part of the reason is out of state ownership and the ridiculous "ownership package" they received. The Bobcats aren't unpopular, they just aren't popular. Unlike the former NBA team, the Hornets, and the NFL Panthers, fans don't seem to have the interest or attachment to the players of the Bobcats.

This same lack of interest could transfer over to a ML baseball team, especially if the city trys to pass a new tax package or provides outrageous incentives to ownership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina