Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It was implied that NC attracts racist whites who don't like ethnic diversity (and my reply to that tripe was a rather long rant about NC's fastest growing and most diverse counties; Wake and Meck). .
Well the recent boondoggle over the Wake school board actually supports that assertion, but that's for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
All of northeastern NC is a giant blank spot to people west of I-95.
No, all of NE NC is a giant blank spot period until you are right on the ocean. have you ever driven through there. Seriously, there's a lot of truth in what you say though. Even in my job that region is covered by the Richmond office while most of the rest of NC is covered by Raleigh. Another exception would be Charlotte that is covered by the Columbia, SC office, which is also in a whole other district. I'm sure UrbanCharlotte aprpreciates that, as it seems he would much prefer Charlotte be in SC

Quote:
Here is ONE difference I've noticed about some North Carolinians that's VERY different from South Carolinians. There are some in our state who seems to think that approval from (or being more like) DC, NYC, and the likes somehow makes NC "better". To me, this fact is proof that NC's motto (To be, rather than to seem) is just a big front. If anything, SC is doing a better job at living by NC's official motto. Some folks in NC wants this state to be "mid-atlantic south"; you won't find such thinking in SC (and for that, I'm glad that I live near the SC state line).
I don't find this to be true at all. Even with your "some" it is certainly a minority. What I have seen, time and time again on this board, is people of OUTSIDE of NC accuse it of being mid-atlantic only to be told by North Carolinians it's the south. I've also heard North Carolinians, myself included, bemoan the transformation of parts of NC to NYC/DC lite. (Francois' paint analogy pops up in my mind again)

Quote:
My point is that NC can't bash SC without bashing NC in return. Think about it. Outside of NC/SC, most folks still identify this area as "Carolina". Most folks can tell us what a "Carolina city" is, but they can't tell us which Carolina (North or South).
Everybody knows "Carolina" is short hand for "North Carolina" lol

I've heard of it. I was born in Beaufort, SC. Have several frinds that live thier now. I know someone that's a head cook/chef at one of the resorts at HH. Just because the OBX is doesn't mean Hilton Head isn't. HH was a tourist destination way before OBX, and like Cape Cod, it didn't all of of sudden stop being one because OBX is popular right now. In fact, I'd say that is one thing SC has done better than NC is capitalize on tourism in their coastal cities. As I stated earlier in the thread, I vaction there myself and I'm from the NC Coast. Still, I think it's to a detriment of those who live in those areas, and I'm glad NC is behind that "power curve".

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
As us Tar Heels say, "When you say 'Carolina,' say 'North Carolina'....."
"

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Well the recent boondoggle over the Wake school board actually supports that assertion, but that's for another thread.
Considering the two ring leaders of that who operation (Tedesco, and Margiotta) were both from New Jersey I can totally buy that theory.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
N
Everybody knows "Carolina" is short hand for "North Carolina" lol
Yup, especially when discussing the university.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As us Tar Heels say, "When you say 'Carolina,' say 'North Carolina'....."
"
^Pretty much this.

When outsiders refer to Carolina, they're usually talking about NC. Also Carolina Blue=North Carolina. Carolina Panthers=NC. Carolina Hurricanes=NC.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I have also noticed that some non-Carolinians (especially liberal types) will refer to NC as "the good Carolina."

Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yup, especially when discussing the university.
That's typically what people think of when they think of "Carolina" by itself anyway (and while USC goes by "Carolina" too, it's not known nationally as such; it's more of a local usage). When talking about cities in either state, non-Carolinians get them all mixed up. I've seen it time and time again.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's typically what people think of when they think of "Carolina" by itself anyway (and while USC goes by "Carolina" too, it's not known nationally as such; it's more of a local usage). When talking about cities in either state, non-Carolinians get them all mixed up. I've seen it time and time again.

That doesn't surprise, but I believe it has more to do with people being stupid. I also wouldn't be surprised if these people getting them mixed up were not from the eastern US. I also wonder are they thinking NC cities are in SC, SC in NC or both. Back to people being stupid, I've recently heard someone speak about how whiel living in NoCal more than once he has come across peopel thinking his ID was fake becuase it was from Maine. There were unaware of the existence of Maine as a state. One guy even pronounced it "Ma-Ee-Nay". Back to NC, I've nver heard anyone confuse Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte and I haven't met too many that know of any other specfic cities in NC that don't have some affiliation with them or NC.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
That doesn't surprise, but I believe it has more to do with people being stupid. I also wouldn't be surprised if these people getting them mixed up were not from the eastern US. I also wonder are they thinking NC cities are in SC, SC in NC or both. Back to people being stupid, I've recently heard someone speak about how whiel living in NoCal more than once he has come across peopel thinking his ID was fake becuase it was from Maine. There were unaware of the existence of Maine as a state. One guy even pronounced it "Ma-Ee-Nay". Back to NC, I've nver heard anyone confuse Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte and I haven't met too many that know of any other specfic cities in NC that don't have some affiliation with them or NC.
Yes, Americans are notorious for their lack of geographic knowledge. And they typically get them all mixed up, from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina