Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
That's why I'm glad that we have enough people in this state who are fighting back against the extremism going on in Raleigh! They may be cool with in in SC, but not here!
To be fair, some of the more recent extremes the NC Legislature has gone to haven't flown in SC: SC Lawmakers Kill Abortion Restrictions Bill

And SC has never tried to implement some things NC is doing. For instance, SC never forfeited federal long-term unemployment benefits and there has never been a bill proposing an official state religion, at least to my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 PM

173 posts, read 296,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To be fair, some of the more recent extremes the NC Legislature has gone to haven't flown in SC: SC Lawmakers Kill Abortion Restrictions Bill

And SC has never tried to implement some things NC is doing. For instance, SC never forfeited federal long-term unemployment benefits and there has never been a bill proposing an official state religion, at least to my knowledge.
This should be expected considering the difference between the two states' population.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Another difference: South Carolina does NOT have a batcrap crazy radical legislature and government.

Tarheelhombre first let me say thank you for starting this thread and for resurecting it. If you had not I would never have read some fun and interesting pokes and jabs. Being a fish out of water conservative in one of the most liberal states in this country I am looking at relocating in my retired life to either of the Carolinas. I just got back from visiting the grand city of Charleston, staying in Summerville and traveling up to Charlotte on some very nice highway. We (my wife and I) went to SC with our daughter and her mother to tour and see some new places and do new things. It was too short as all of our vacations seem to be but we had a grand time. We had so much fun in fact that we are planning our next visit down south next year. Our trip will be the the Triangle area of Raleigh, Durham and Cary. I will not say which is better as I have only briefly visited both and actually enjoy both emensly. I am unique in that I can have a great time no matter where I am. I even had a good time in Iraq of all places at a time when there was no fun to be had. It wasnt fun while I was there but stepping back and looking back in time it was not as bad as it seemed. No I dont live there as you can see from my profile but I do love every place I go.

Well really my point here in the post is to say I love the esprite de corps and rivalry both states show. It is reminicent of the rivaly between NY and Boston. When I move there I will miss that and I am glad that I can still have that no matter which location I end up. Thanks to all who contributed to this wonderful and heartfelt thread.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
The fine folks at Nike don't know the difference...

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2...ng?w=339&h=356

http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws...lite-daily.png

Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
This should be expected considering the difference between the two states' population.
None of those things I mentioned have anything to do with population.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I know we like stoking rivalries on here (see Raleigh v Charlotte, No Holds Barred), but in real life, is there much of a rivalry between North Carolina and South Carolina?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I know we like stoking rivalries on here (see Raleigh v Charlotte, No Holds Barred), but in real life, is there much of a rivalry between North Carolina and South Carolina?

Based on what I read here my answer is a resounding yes. The word rivalry in the dictionary

Quote:
Rivalry is the act of competing for the same thing against another person. Your rivalry with your older sister is amusing to the family but very annoying to her.
Rivalry comes from the noun rival, the person you compete against. Often a rivalry starts when people want the same reward — and their talents are just about equal. Your rivalry for the lead in the play at the local theater isn't between you and George Clooney — it's between you and the other guy who also had a great audition.
I think the banter between posters here in both SC and NC show that they are proud of their choice and their states. We all need that so that things grow. Competition is good for both sides.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I think most state-to-state rivalries are either in the area of sports or economic development. There could only be a college sports rivalry and I don't see one, and in terms of economic development, while there are a few projects both states might have gone after (e.g., the Continental tire plant that SC won), NC mostly competes with GA and VA, and SC seems to compete more with AL.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all. I think most state-to-state rivalries are either in the area of sports or economic development. There could only be a college sports rivalry and I don't see one, and in terms of economic development, while there are a few projects both states might have gone after (e.g., the Continental tire plant that SC won), NC mostly competes with GA and VA, and SC seems to compete more with AL.

I like it anyway as long as no one starts throwing punches. Good debate and fun pokes make for a fun read for the rest of us. It is even especially nice when it is between two states that an outsider is contemplating moving to. I just visited Charleston SC and had a wonderful time in that lovely city. Spent some money there and getting there but worth every penny. You only live once and life is too short not to take advantage of time well spent.

Anyway my next trip to the area will be next year to the Raleigh Durham area. It is exploratory and will not be very long. It will though be another fun trip as I never have bad ones except for that all expense paid trip to An Nassaryah Iraq in 2003 to 2004. The area had no running water, electricity, air conditioning, the food was delivered in brown plastic bags and aluminum tray packs with a shelf life of 3 years each. I had to wear body armor and carry an M16 everywhere I went. Other then that the place was heaven.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
In the more rural areas outside Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, etc., North Carolina isn't too different from South Carolina. Overall, NC is a little more similar to Georgia and Virginia while South Carolina is a bit more similar to Alabama and Mississippi. The big difference is that one is Deep South (SC) while the other is Upper South (NC). NC has much larger cities and a larger population. However, they are both still Southern states and always will be. Most areas of NC are very similar to SC, especially the more rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina