U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,860,277 times
Default Best area in NC for a bicyclist.

I enjoy biking and am considering to move to an area where you can bike right from your home and bike somewhere that's biker friendly. Rural roads, flat terrain, places people hike or walk like a state forest with a multi-purpose trail, etc. I assume those areas are more found in the coastal region where its flat and unpopulated because I lived in that kind of area. Do any areas or towns come to mind for a bicyclist?

Where in NC do you have uncrouded roads with shoulders and forests in a flat terrain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 AM

2,453 posts, read 5,229,137 times
I think you're looking for Colorado or California! Areas like that generally aren't abundant in NC, though I can say I've found Durham to be a pretty bike-friendly town. It is hilly in some spots, though, and with narrow shoulders, but it has a pretty decent network of bike lanes/greenways/American Tobacco Trail. There's a pretty active group of bike commuters in Durham, too.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM

6,658 posts, read 6,202,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Where in NC do you have uncrouded roads with shoulders and forests in a flat terrain?
The stretch of Highway 50 between Holly Ridge and Maple Hill runs along the Holly Ridge Game Shelter, so there are woods on one side. Also the stretch of Highway 210 between Hampstead and I-40 is more interesting IMHO because there are scattered houses on large lots, and a few horse and cow pastures. I can't recall how wide the shoulders are. Both these routes are a short distance from Wilmington.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
LLN

3,507 posts, read 4,052,158 times
There are some potentially great bike routes in eastern NC. A lot of people ride Pamlico and Beaufort Counties, include ferry trips in their rides. There are numerous bike routes down here too.

There is a great bike shop in New Bern and they ride all the time, up to 50 milers and they generally go 25 at 25..way outside my league.

AtOmic Cycles Bicycle Shop - Retail Bicycle Shop - New Bern, NC | Facebook

The problem is the pitiful condition of the roads.

Even roads, for the most part, that look smooth, have lots of small cracks and holes. We rode about 15 miles on what appeared to be ideal road, last summer, near water, flat, no traffic, and even though from car trips it seemed in great condition, on the bike, I could have sworn I was on Paris - Roubiax. Terrible. At some point we came to a change in counties or something, and the road smoothed out, at that point it was heaven.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
LLN

3,507 posts, read 4,052,158 times
Oh yeah, check this out: NCDOT: Bike Maps and Routes

Good luck.

LLN

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM

43 posts, read 51,806 times
you actually want north central nc(no one lives there so roads are rural, and are actually mapped for biking) or what you really want is Boone or Asheville or hendersonville or brevard in Western north carolina, huge biking areas so the folks are accustomed to bikers, Lance trained a bit in boone...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,093,385 times
tarheeltrailblazers.com and charlotte mecklenburg greenways

Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,860,277 times
It's good to know there's biking in all directions. Still not set on where to live but I'll take a better look. Durham is a little to townish for
me but I occasionally drive other places to bike because it's all about new scenery and the sun.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,618,857 times
Unfortunately you'll found that people are downright hostile to bikers around here. It is quite unnerving for the avid cyclist... The best place in NC for biking, IMO, is Chapel Hill. Raleigh, Cary, and Charlotte seem to be the most adverse to bikers from my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina