U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2006, 08:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,123,743 times

Advertisements

If my question is too inflammatory, please feel free to ignore it, but I ask it in all sincerity.

Western NC is still at the top of our list of relocation spots from our home for the last half century, the ghastly Los Angeles. We are decent, ethical people who do not happen to be religiously inclined at all; we are not militant atheists, just not joiners of organized religion.

How little or greatly will this affect our job opportunities or even social interaction in NC when it becomes apparent that we are not what everyone else is in this aspect of the overall social fabric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
What part of Western NC?

Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,123,743 times
Uh, Asheville and environs? Any place near there that still allows dogs and horses.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
I'm 25 minutes SE of Asheville. No one cares what your religious beliefs or lack thereof are, as long as you keep them to yourself. If this was the 1960s, my answer would be different.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 AM

23 posts, read 95,652 times
Default religion

With the artist communities in the mountain areas, your religion or lack thereof isn't going to be an issue. We are all pretty laid back hear. We are in the bible belt and our legislators like to portray us as been super christians, but with so many people coming from so many different areas, most folks just don't care. As long as you aren't burning crosses and dancing around it naked on a fool moon, I don't think people will even ask.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 AM

58 posts, read 317,857 times
I agree with everyone else. But you should expect some people trying to get you to come to their church. This doesn't happen as often anymore, but it still does happen and some are persistant.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:12 PM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
You will have less problems with this if you move to a larger place like Asheville, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston Salem. If you were to move where I live, the people would know whether you wore boxers or briefs within the first 24 hours that you landed here. I am accustomed to it and it does make for a tight knit community. But somethings I would just prefer to stay in my home. I have lived where I am now practically all my life and it is really hard for "outsiders" and by that most people don't come here on purpose. They are usually born here or marry someone that was born here which is my case. My husband was from Kenly and we lived there the first 7 years we were married. In 1992, we moved back to Greene County. And he had a little cultural shock at first. But once he started working for the Town of Snow Hill, I swear the man knows more people than I do. Good luck. Just stay out of the really small town like that have the "Mayberry" feel to them if you want any privacy.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
Western NC is still at the top of our list of relocation spots from our home for the last half century, the ghastly Los Angeles. We are decent, ethical people who do not happen to be religiously inclined at all; we are not militant atheists, just not joiners of organized religion.

How little or greatly will this affect our job opportunities or even social interaction in NC when it becomes apparent that we are not what everyone else is in this aspect of the overall social fabric?
Asheville, as I understand, is the last place you'd need to worry about this! I believe it has an extremely high concentration of "New Age" type folks, artists, etc. I have heard that the area is supposedly in a big "energy field" according to some earth religions (etc).

And, don't let Hollywood's portrayal of NC, or the South in general, as The Bible Belt scare you--yes, a lot of people are churchgoers, but NC is also much more live-and-let-live than the movies would have you believe. Most people are not "Bible Thumpers" per se, though they might be the type with religious quotes on their screen-saver, for example. Not that you won't encounter ANY strife, but any metro area such as Asheville, and especially the Triangle area, and you'll find plenty of compatriots

Please move here, we NEED more folks to dilute the "Bible Belt" stereotype!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina