Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

49 posts, read 106,479 times

Advertisements

Thanks! yeah I know about all the WF in NC and there locations. I've done a lot of research. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the feel is. What the area is like.

I'm not sure I want to raise a family. I'm just looking for a place to meet my future spouse, start my career, and travel within the state.

I've been to Arizona

Many different parts really. I think its too hot for me.

I'm a frugal person, so shopping is not very enjoyable for me. I need an environment that encourages me to be outdoors if that makes sense.

Like Hawaii

I've been to hawaii, new mexico, california, nevada

I just need sun, sun and a clean enviroment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Cheap living, warm weather...rural Mississippi comes to mind.

Good luck.

lln

Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
I've been to Arizona
Many different parts really. I think its too hot for me.
You might have the same problem with NC - especially if you pick somewhere near the coast. Hawaii it's not.

We moved here (from CA, but I'm originally from OR) and bought land. I thought I'd be outside most of the time - riding my horse or working in the garden - but I've found that during the summer (May - Sept.) it's almost too much just to walk to the garden to harvest a few vegetables for dinner. My horses hate summer, too, and just want to stay in the barn where the botflies won't get them. In the spring the thunderstorms and tornado watches also take a bite out of outdoor time. On the bright side, October is usually lovely. This year, January was, too, except for the tornado.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM

49 posts, read 106,479 times
oh geez, that sounds rough. i will continue to research other states. i really like arizona its just so dang hot

Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Please visit first....Can't stress it enough...So many people move here thinking that NC is a Utopia..the land of milk and honey....and its so far from it....If you are settled.. you will enjoy it.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,696 times
Default Seattle to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
I'm looking for a place to live with low cost of living and sunny and warm.

I found a forum recently on this site about someone thinking about relocating to someplace cheap and warm and NC was highly recommended. And that began my many days, and weeks of research on this state.

I've been looking for a place to live that is warmer, sunnier, and cheaper than Washington. I grew up in a Seattle suburb.

I've looked at Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, New Mexico, Georgia, Florida and now North Carolina. Of course I would love to move to CA, but that isn't cheap. I'm looking for a place that has plenty of apartments for $600 (that are nice, not gross), lots of sun, clean city, someplace that is good for a young single girl who doesn't drink or party.

I'm a health conscious girl who works for Whole Foods. So I would need to live in close proximity to a WF.

The reason for me posting this thread is because this evening is the first time in all my research on NC that I've found a lot of negativity. Specifically on taxes. I'm used to taxes taking a huge chunk out of my income, but it might be more difficult in NC because wages are lower, but taxes not so much.

major points are I want SUN, BEACHES, MOUNTAINS, VARIETY, FRIENDLY PEOPLE.

Everyones opinion is so different. Some are all for NC, others Virginia, or Texas. I just won't know until I visit these places I guess.
I lived in Seattle for 10 years and was glad to relocate to out of the grey and rain to the central coast of CA and then Huntington Beach, CA. There's no topping the weather here and I'm a mile from the beach but the expense is high, almost $3,000/mo for a 3 bedroom condo and it is crowded.

I have been heavily researching NC anticipating retirement in 2 years. Huntington Beach would be excellent if I were a Republican in my 20s and enjoyed surfing and bars.

You might look into Chapel Hill. They have the largest Whole Foods I've ever seen. You may want to look at living outside Chapel Hill as it is expensive. Not not close to the beach or mountains but the traffic to get to those areas is much less than SoCal or Seattle. Not looking forward to the hot/humid summers in the central area of NC but might look further into the mountains if I don't have to work. On many visits there, I have found the people to be very friendly. My sister has lived there for over 30 years and agrees.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,214 times
I too have been considering a move to a warmer more cost of living friendly... I am on disability and don't have a bunch of $$ to live on.... looking either to buy a 5th wheel type trailer for year round living somewhere I suppose in a park or something or real reasonable rent. I prefer a quite peaceful living, mountains and beach are nice, I like rural and wild life.. just trying to escape the heating costs of Upstate New York, but love the quiet forest mountain living any input would be wonderful.. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValGayle99 View Post
I too have been considering a move to a warmer more cost of living friendly... I am on disability and don't have a bunch of $$ to live on.... looking either to buy a 5th wheel type trailer for year round living somewhere I suppose in a park or something or real reasonable rent.
North Carolina's COL is not particularly cheap. It is more like the middle range of the states: 24 out of 50. View here: Cost of Living First Quarter 2014

You might try McAllen or Brownsville Texas. Lots of "winter Texans" live there in camping trailers.

A disabled friend also lived in Jackson Mississippi in a mobile home, and she said Jackson was a nice place.

You might also check the city-versus-city forum, in the General USA forum here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/ Please also check the Retirement and Rural, Small-Tow Living forums.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-21-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
So many people that come here due to low taxes and warm weather end up hating NC...and then whining endlessly about it.

If you are used to it, settled, as someone has said, that is different, but it will bear little resemblance to Seattle. Not just fiscally, or thermally, but to a great degree culturally.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM

401 posts, read 656,663 times
I wouldn't consider most of North Carolina to be cheaper then Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina