U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,271 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently been transferred to the northern area of SC. WE could potenially live in either SC or NC. Im looking for schools as my daughter will be a junior in HS. Most important to her is Marching Band/Concert and a volleyball team. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM

351 posts, read 589,552 times
Fort Mill! Top rated schools in the state of South Carolina. My son goes to Nation Ford High School. If you're looking for a quiet little town that's very close to Charlotte and Rock Hill with cheaper taxes, this is the place for you. There's some really nice subdivisions here as well.

ETA: Nation Ford High School's marching band has won many awards. They were on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade last year.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,080,240 times
If you are planning to work in one state and live in the other state, you might want to check on the income tax rules. We live in North Carolina and for a while my husband worked in South Carolina and just for the record, I am so happy we have someone else doing our taxes. Each state has its rules. If I remember correctly, we paid taxes to both states but got credit off the North Carolina taxes for what we paid in South Carolina. I don't think this would be a deal breaker, but it is something to consider.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 AM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,080,240 times
Also, check the crime rates in the place you are planning to live. That might change your mind. We could really help more if we knew where your husband will be working. Have you noticed that little line of Lancaster County running up between Union County, North Carolina and I believe it is York County, South Carolina. That can be a very nice place to live. Any place outside of Charlotte would be better than Charlotte in my opinion. We left Charlotte many years ago. Charlotte has a way of helping big business at the expense of its residents. Right now they are talking about helping build a ball field and residents that will never go to the ball game and will get absolutely no benefit for the field being uptown are going to get to help pay for it. And with some of the other things like this they have done, they may tear it down a few years down the road.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,271 times
NCN....good point on the taxes, will definitely check it out. My hubby is a district manager so he will be traveling from Mrytle Beach to Greenville/Spartanberg. Thats why we were thinking maybe the northern middle part of the state with appox a 2 hr commute each way

Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM

34,651 posts, read 32,012,210 times
Yeah, I'd recommend the Fort Mill area myself for the reasons given. Now I will say that if your daughter plans to attend a public college or university, tuition is cheaper in NC which is definitely more important if UNC, the best public university between both states, in particular is an option.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 7,215,175 times
i think living so close to the state line, she would be eligible for in state tuition either by regulation or the Academic Common Market.

Suggest check that if in state tuition is a concern.

SC taxes would be a plus for SC

Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 PM

34,651 posts, read 32,012,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
i think living so close to the state line, she would be eligible for in state tuition either by regulation or the Academic Common Market.

Suggest check that if in state tuition is a concern.

SC taxes would be a plus for SC
I know that's the case for some graduate programs; my alma mater Winthrop offers in-state tuition to grad students who are NC residents living in counties that are part of the Charlotte Regional Partnership. No such program exists for undergrads though; not sure how it's set up with other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina