U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,389 posts, read 19,350,719 times
Reputation: 11266

Advertisements

And yes, I now realize that this thread is 3 years old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 741 times
Reputation: 10
I moved from NJ to Charlotte, NC with a job and I love the city. It is very affordable to live here, however the school system is terrible especially when you are coming from a less crowded schools system with hands on teachers. It took so long for my son to get this school system. The teachers let the students teach themselves and language arts pretty much dont exist. My son started the 5th grade in Charlotte. This is a gateway year so I have him in tutoring to make sure he passes the EOGs. He is going back to NJ for his middle school 6th grade year. i can't afford for him to be behind in school. I am in the process of looking for a house outside of Charlotte with better school systems. Matthews in Union county looks promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan52 View Post
Charlotte was recently ranked as one of the most miserable cities to live in.
Not if you have a good job and short commute. Subjective rankings of any kind seem silly and nonsensical. For me, any big city located near I-95 north of Richmond seems very miserable to live in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan52 View Post
Charlottes downtown is really nice, but the rest of the city is awful urban sprawl. Raleigh is far superior in terms of getting around and being less stressful.
I've lived in both cities for extended periods and find such blanket statements to be laughably vague and subjective. I've also noted, from direct observation, that Raleigh folks tend to talk much more about Charlotte than vice versa.

I think they are both fine cities, and can't quite determine why Raleighites so often feel compelled to disparage the other great city in their state.

Perhaps Raleigh is easier to get around... It is quite evident that Raleigh has contributed far greater financial resources to their own highways and infrastructure than to those of Charlotte, even though Charlotte is the larger city and generates quite a bit of revenue for the entire state to benefit from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I've lived in both cities for extended periods and find such blanket statements to be laughably vague and subjective. I've also noted, from direct observation, that Raleigh folks tend to talk much more about Charlotte than vice versa.

I think they are both fine cities, and can't quite determine why Raleighites so often feel compelled to disparage the other great city in their state.

Perhaps Raleigh is easier to get around... It is quite evident that Raleigh has contributed far greater financial resources to their own highways and infrastructure than to those of Charlotte, even though Charlotte is the larger city and generates quite a bit of revenue for the entire state to benefit from.

I've rarely, if ever seen that. "Raleighites" don't much ever think about Charlotte. Now if substituted in "dismiss" I might be able to agree with that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I've rarely, if ever seen that. "Raleighites" don't much ever think about Charlotte. Now if substituted in "dismiss" I might be able to agree with that statement.
your comment is certainly disparaging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
 
29,699 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I've rarely, if ever seen that. "Raleighites" don't much ever think about Charlotte. Now if substituted in "dismiss" I might be able to agree with that statement.
Raleigh uses Charlotte as a barometer of progress in terms of urban growth and development. It's natural for a smaller city to use a relatively close larger city for such a purpose (like Charlotte does with Atlanta at times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan52 View Post
Charlottes downtown is really nice, but the rest of the city is awful urban sprawl. Raleigh is far superior in terms of getting around and being less stressful.
That's because it's smaller. And outside of downtown Raleigh the rest of the city is also awful urban sprawl. Hell, it even has a suburb with a six-figure population which is basically nothing but sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan52 View Post
Charlotte was recently ranked as one of the most miserable cities to live in.
I didn't see it listed: America's Most Miserable Cities - Kurt Badenhausen - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top