Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:16 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,005,722 times

Advertisements

Harry Anderson, of the 90s series "Night Court", is relocating from New Orleans to Asheville. I wonder if fellow actor and Asheville resident Andie McDowell will help him settle?

Here is a clip of him on the Bill Maher show, discussing his reasons for leaving NO, with a brief comment/compliment on Asheville, along with a quip about looking for the "heterosexual subculture" once he gets there

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2A-rSWIOmk

[frankly, I kinda had a hard time recognizing the guy. he has kind of ... puffed ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 AM

957 posts, read 2,610,474 times
I've run into Andie McDowell twice at grocery stores here in Asheville. The first time I actually had to politely ask her to move, she was standing right in front of the produce section I needed to get something from, while talking on her cell phone. Second time wasn't quite so good. We had just been hit with the remnants of Hurricane Frances in 2004 and the city was heavily flooded and the area she lives in (Biltmore Forest) was without power for days. She was loudly berating the seafood clerk at Harris Teeter because they were out of the fish she wanted. Must have been all that built up frustration from having no power.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:31 AM

180 posts, read 732,068 times
Let's recap: he doesn't think the mayor of new orleans is in touch with his "100 day plan"
He equates Iraq with New Orleans
Yet he is giving up on his city to move to a place where he's looking for a heterosexual subculture and three guy's in a bowling alley...
EVS!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,388,268 times
I'm sure the comments about "heterosexual subculture and three guys in a bowling alley" were all just-for-fun jokes. Anyone who's spent a good amount of time in Asheville, especially downtown, will know exactly what he's poking fun at.
It's obvious he is moving to Asheville because he likes the culture there. Good for him. Hope he enjoys it there.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,590,798 times
roxors, actually the hard news item here would be that a size 2 actress/model like McDowell was seen planning to eat something.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,005,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Yet he is giving up on his city to move to a place where he's looking for a heterosexual subculture and three guy's in a bowling alley...
EVS!
As another poster remarked, I think he was using that as a punchline.

I've followed the postings of a NO resident for .. oh.. about 10 years. Once he left a favorite message board and began to blog, I kept up with him there. He lived in that city a big part of his life, evacuated each time a hurricane blew in, then moved back. He loved the city too much to ever want to leave, yet Katrina was just too much. He tried post-Katrina life for about 6 months, then was forced to leave. Anyway, he had such a finger on the life of the city, I respect his comments about it. On Harry Anderson leaving, this blogger wrote:

Quote:
Some locals are giving him cr*p for leaving, but he put in 4 years in town, opening a really cool curio shop and a magic club, and generally not behaving like a spoiled Hollywood carpetbagger (hello, Nic Cage).

City Hall d*cked him around tremendously when he tried to open his club, costing him tens of thousands over budget and delaying the opening by months. Nagin's dopes even decided that the entrance to the club couldn't be on the corner where it had been for decades, but suddenly had to be on a side street. You had to go down an alley to get to the front door, and the original corner entrance being blocked off made it look like the club was closed to passersby.

After the storm, when there was no business, he turned the club into a town-hall clubhouse, where people could go and plan and talk and b*tch. He took a bath on the place, and the reelection of C-Ray was the last straw. From what I've heard, he really didn't want to leave, but he also didn't want to go broke, and didn't see the city getting better for him soon.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM
EJ1

1 posts, read 10,550 times
For more perspective on Anderson's move from N.O., check out today's (10/13) Times-Picayune column by Chris Rose. Here's the link:

NO ENERGY TO FIGHT
Harry Anderson turns out the light and closes the door on New Orleans
http://snipurl.com/yxmh

I almost moved to N.O. two months before the storm. Ever since, I've been working in various recovery efforts. But yipes, any plans I once had to move there are pretty much on hold.

Nagin has proven himself to be a useless tool, sorry to say. I was expecting much more of him. Thousands of homes still need volunteers to help gut them: http://snipurl.com/yxm2 . It's a difficult daily struggle, and recently one of my old pals died from what his sister says was "Katrina-related stress."

It's going to take a long time to rebuild the city, but time is about all some New Orleans residents have these days.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,360 times
See Harry and Leslie on YouTube here
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMY5RguBWnk]YouTube - Harry Anderson Magic Act[/url]

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I've run into Andie McDowell twice at grocery stores here in Asheville. The first time I actually had to politely ask her to move, she was standing right in front of the produce section I needed to get something from, while talking on her cell phone. Second time wasn't quite so good. We had just been hit with the remnants of Hurricane Frances in 2004 and the city was heavily flooded and the area she lives in (Biltmore Forest) was without power for days. She was loudly berating the seafood clerk at Harris Teeter because they were out of the fish she wanted. Must have been all that built up frustration from having no power.

LOL, of course it was frustration from the hurricane. It wouldn't be that she thought she was better than anyone else would it, lol? How dare a grocery store run out of fish on her!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 16,399 times
Can't blame him. We moved here this year and everyday we meet people from NY, NE, Chicago, LA, Florida. It's a city of only 70,000, but it has music, theater, art -- and restaurants -- like a much bigger place.Moderator cut: tosviolation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-20-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina