Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 PM

65 posts, read 245,393 times

Advertisements

Hiya,

We would be moving from central NJ, and are trying to find a perfect place for us. I also posted in PA (hubby wants to check out PA) And we actually were in TN to look around there because of a job offer, but we decided not to accept the job.

Are there any nice farming / horse farms around any areas near the VA/NC border? We want to keep the drive from NC to central NJ (family is in Jersey) to no more than about 8-9hours.

Looking to all the NC friends, who can offer some advice, so we can take some recommendations, do our research on the areas & then come down & visit to check out the area.

We are not looking for an area that only has one farm every few miles, but instead are looking to be in an area where you drive & drive & see all farmlands, after farmland, after farmland.

Hubby is a trucker, so we would check out jobs after doing some research on the area.

Is cost of living less expensive?

a) 5-10 acres (more if we can afford it), cute house with barn. Priced within $250k or less.
b) In a rural/farming community. We won't be living off the land, and will only have a small farmette for our horses/farm animals on our property, with a small garden of corn, etc,
c) Would like to be surrounded by miles & miles of nothing but farms.
d) small quiet area/town
e) within a 25-30 minute drive to stores
f) nice, clean, safe place to raise family
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphahorse View Post
We are not looking for an area that only has one farm every few miles, but instead are looking to be in an area where you drive & drive & see all farmlands, after farmland, after farmland.
c) Would like to be surrounded by miles & miles of nothing but farms.
d) small quiet area/town
e) within a 25-30 minute drive to stores
f) nice, clean, safe place to raise family
I am familiar with a couple of areas in Eastern NC. One is around route 64 going west from the Outer Banks. It is miles of cotton farms, which are harvested by machine. Another is along route 24 between Richlands, Clinton and Autryville. This area has tobacco, vegetables and turkeys. Most of these are big agribusinesses employing many Latinos laborers. Frankly, I wouldn't think either of these are very attractive areas to raise a family, but your mileage may vary. (Have you ever seen and smelled miles of turkey farms? or hogs farms?)

On a more positive note, you might like Richlands or Beulaville, which are close to Jacksonville and the coast. These are tobacco and soybean areas, and Richlands has a nice town center.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-22-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM

272 posts, read 782,667 times
Surry County and particularly the Mount Airy area might work. I-77 runs through it.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphahorse View Post
Are there any nice farming / horse farms around any areas near the VA/NC border? We want to keep the drive from NC to central NJ (family is in Jersey) to no more than about 8-9hours.
The Virginia border area along highway 158 from I-95 to the Outer Banks is also a farming area, with a lot of cotton, peanuts and hogs. You could certainly find a house with land in your price range in, for example, Gates County.

You would certainly find a quiet life, but it's not free of crime. There are breakin-ins, and you will find drugs even in the small towns.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,004,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
Surry County and particularly the Mount Airy area might work. I-77 runs through it.

Also Yadkin County. It, along with Surry County - around the Dobson area - have taken the interest of vintners. There are several notable vineyards in those counties. Yadkin has 4-lane 421 running through it, which connects you to I-77, but also makes for a straight shot into Winston-Salem. Both of those counties are very pretty as well, known for rolling hills and views of the mountains. But, as JSK note, drugs are an issue, especially meth.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,122,528 times
The places along the NC/VA border that don't meet your criteria would be a much shorter list--there are none!

Looking at an NC map, you could draw a line from Boone to Manteo--most all areas between that line and the VA border are loaded with farmland, and within reasonable driving distance to small town shopping. If you want to be closer to the larger cities in the Triangle or Triad, you can find lots of rural areas within 30 minutes drive (or less). Or you might like the beauty of the mountains, in which case Sparta or West Jefferson might appeal to you. Or you may prefer the foothills north/northwest of Winston-Salem/Greensboro, where you can have great mountain views while having easy access to the Triad cities. Or you might want to live near one of several lakes that lie in the area (Lakes Gaston, Kerr, and Hyco, for example). Or you could choose most anywhere in the eastern part of the state (east of I-95) if you want to escape to the Outer Banks beaches within a couple of hours or less.

And all of the these areas will get you to NJ within a reasonable time via either I-95 or I-77/I-81 (a nice drive through the mountains). Good luck in your search!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM

65 posts, read 245,393 times
Thanks everyone! Now we just have to pick a weekend to check out the areas, which I'm looking forward to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina