U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,290 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking about moving to NC from VA in the next few months. My biggest concern is the school system. I would like to concentrate my job search in an area that has a good school system. I have 2 kids in elementary school and one that will be starting in the fall. I don't really have a preference of mountain vs coast. I just want to choose an area that has a good school system and is a good place to raise a family. I prefer to live in a smaller town though. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM

11,256 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH757 View Post
....I would like to concentrate my job search in an area that has a good school system. I have 2 kids in elementary school and one that will be starting in the fall. I don't really have a preference of mountain vs coast. I just want to choose an area that has a good school system and is a good place to raise a family. I prefer to live in a smaller town though. Any suggestions??
For what it is worth, one site claims to rate all the school systems in North Carolina, and here is their top 10:

Name
1 Columbus
2 Beech Mountain
3 Tryon
4 Corolla
5 Boone
6 Carrboro
7 Banner Elk
8 Emerald Isle
9 Mill Spring
10 Atlantic Beach

Here is the link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I will leave it up to you to figure out their criteria. Geographically, they are all over the map, with 6 in the mountains or foothills, 3 on the coast, and one (Carrboro) in the Piedmont. In terms of available jobs, Carrboro is probably the best prospect, as it is near Chapel Hill and the Research Triangle. The coastal areas, Corolla, Emerald Isle, and Atlantic Beach would have mainly seasonal, tourist jobs.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,020,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
For what it is worth, one site claims to rate all the school systems in North Carolina, and here is their top 10:

Name
1 Columbus
2 Beech Mountain
3 Tryon
4 Corolla
5 Boone
6 Carrboro
7 Banner Elk
8 Emerald Isle
9 Mill Spring
10 Atlantic Beach

Here is the link:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I will leave it up to you to figure out their criteria. Geographically, they are all over the map, with 6 in the mountains or foothills, 3 on the coast, and one (Carrboro) in the Piedmont. In terms of available jobs, Carrboro is probably the best prospect, as it is near Chapel Hill and the Research Triangle. The coastal areas, Corolla, Emerald Isle, and Atlantic Beach would have mainly seasonal, tourist jobs.
I would question that site that since "Carrboro" is not a school district. It is a very nice town in a good school district (Chapel Hill/Carrboro city schools), but there is no Carrboro school district.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM

11,256 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would question that site
I was a little skeptical myself, but I wanted to start the discussion. They don't explain their method of rating the best schools. However, it may relate to spending per student, and it correlates a lot with their map of real estate prices.

The OP really needs to refine the criteria to more than good schools and a small town. Nobody can help much when their are 100 counties in the state.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
Chapel Hill/Carrboro is generally regarded as the top performing system. Some of the systems above are for pretty small places that don't have much job prospects. Among the very large systems, Wake County (Raleigh) is the top performer. Overall, the Triangle is probably the best area for opportunity that has higher performing school systems. But, then again, it's probably also about the sort of people who live in the Triangle. It has a very high level of education among its adults.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 46,064 times
Chapel Hill Carrboro is by far the best school system in the state, hands down. Wake County is decent, but it is a mess with overcrowding, redistricting and busing issues. I wouldn't recommend putting your kids through that, much less yourself. One of the other higher ranking districts is Watauga County in the mountains. This is where Boone is located and since ASU is located there, the schools have historically been one of the top districts in the state. Boone is a small town and Chapel Hill is a smallish town. Both would be good places to raise a family. Boone is more isolated than Chapel Hill, but both have good schools none the less.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,638,458 times
There aren't any schools in Corolla.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintarheel View Post
Chapel Hill Carrboro is by far the best school system in the state, hands down. Wake County is decent, but it is a mess with overcrowding, redistricting and busing issues. I wouldn't recommend putting your kids through that, much less yourself. One of the other higher ranking districts is Watauga County in the mountains. This is where Boone is located and since ASU is located there, the schools have historically been one of the top districts in the state. Boone is a small town and Chapel Hill is a smallish town. Both would be good places to raise a family. Boone is more isolated than Chapel Hill, but both have good schools none the less.
Agreed.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM

3,938 posts, read 7,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintarheel View Post
Chapel Hill Carrboro is by far the best school system in the state, hands down.
What math program do they use?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,749,431 times
Here is the NC DPI site that list each system, and in fact, each school. You can apply what your criteria to "best" is and make an informed decision. Don't think VA schools are better than those in NC. Schools within a system vary tremendously. You can get a "good" school in a bad system and vice versa. Good Luck.

NC School Report Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina