Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM

26 posts, read 69,902 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to NC from NY. He's originally from Long Island and im originally from VT. I want to be close to mountians, water (even lakes) trees, a town with charm but still be accessible to the city. Does such a perfect balance exist? I personally think asheville is beautiful but it seems like it may be too secluded for my husband. I also worry it may be too far west, Tennessee is a little too country for us north easterner's, that's not the vibe were looking for. Raliegh would be ideal for us location wise. We know as newcomers wed have a lot of options being close to the city and although wed choose a suburb of raliegh wed be right in the middle of the mountians and beach but still so far away. Is there a small town outside of raliegh with that natural beauty I'm looking for? I also have 2 young children so saftey & family friendly are also priorities. Am I asking too much or does our dream town exist???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Pinehurst Video Tour - YouTube

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Whatever is considered the country today near Raleigh or Charlotte or whatever, will be suburbs in 10 years. The city creep is strong here.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Any small towns anywhere near Raleigh will be swallowed up by the thunderous growth in this area (grew 40% in just 10 years, 2000-2010!). Do you have any specific criteria or know anything about the area? When moving to another state and not knowing what city you want, it's really best to plan a visit and see everything firsthand. What job industry would you be looking for work in? NC has the 7th ot 8th highest unemployment rate right now, FYI.

How big a "city" do you want? Charlotte is the most urban area between DC and Atlanta, and also very close to the mountains. Atlanta itself is closer to the mountains than Raleigh. You also might look at Knoxville, TN which is pretty much IN the mountains but also a city.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalba2807 View Post
Is there a small town outside of Raleigh with that natural beauty I'm looking for?
Pinehurst may have the beauty you are looking for, but it is probably too far to commute to Raleigh on a daily basis. I also suggest Pittsboro for a quaint southern small town, and it is closer to Raleigh and Durham.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Raleigh isn't close to any mountains that I know of; maybe some nice Lakes though. If you want to remain in NC, then the Charlotte area is for you but may I suggest Greenville, SC as well. It has mountains (it's not in the mountains but a huge portion of its county is), it's between both Charlotte and Atlanta and has small towns surrounding it that aren't too expensive but are very nice. Give it a quick lookup to see how you like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville,_South_Carolina

http://www.realestatebook.com/homes/USA/SC/Greenville

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
If you think Asheville is too secluded/small I would not recommend pinehurst. It's a far distance from Raleigh and is really for retirees who only want to golf. Have you looked into Chapel Hill? Chapel Hill is hilly where Raleigh is flat and CH will have alot more of the views you are seeking. There are a few beautiful neighborhoods including the Preserve at Jordan Lake. Chatham county has a beautiful neighborhood with amazing views called Chapel Ridge. It may be too rural for you. You have two children so are schools a priority? Chapel Hill has top ranking schools. I would also look into Clayton. It has a rural feel but less than 30 minutes to Raleigh.

Here are a few links.

Chapel Ridge
Golf Course Community Land | Chapel Ridge - Pittsboro, Chapel Hill, NC

Preserve at Jordan Lake
Moving to Raleigh Durham NC? Looking for new homes for sale in Raleigh NC area? The Preserve at Jordan Lake a premier golf community Raleigh NC style is for you!

Last edited by escapenc; 02-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM

26 posts, read 69,902 times
Default in search of charming little town

Hello, we'll be visiting NC next weekend to explore and decide if this is where we want to move our family. I'm looking for that small town feel to satisfy my VT roots while still being accessible to the city for my NY native hubby. Willing to commute up to 30min for work. I by no means want to live in the city! We have two small children so being close to parks, libraries, schools ext is a plus. Any ideas on what stops we should be making during our visit?!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM

107 posts, read 143,836 times
Depending on where you will work you should consider in alphabetical order

Apex - Small town feel but will be the first to become the next Cary. Cary was a small town and now it's HUGE.

Fuquay-Varina - Small town feel but will be the second to become the next Cary.

Holly Springs- May be too small of a town for you.

Wake Forest - Small town, but growing. This may be your top choice.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM

162 posts, read 460,876 times
Check out Hillsborough. It's a very cute town with a good school system and not far off the highway so you can commute to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill very reasonably. They have a farmer's market, festivals etc. Very much a small town feel while not being too far to the "big" cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina