Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Like most states, there are better places to be than others. As a resident of both NC and FL, I know that that's the truth for both states! As for being bum&%$#, I can attest that FL's has plenty as well. Don't move somewhere without checking it out first. There's a wide variance across states and things that appeal to some will be a turn off to others. Do your research and VISIT an area before deciding to make an elective move anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM

102 posts, read 312,291 times
Not all schools here go year round. One of my close friends moved to Raleigh and she ended up going to three different year round schools (that was her choice, not a matter which she had no control over). There are schools in Raleigh that go year round, and there are schools that follow conventional schedules. Around here, school usually starts sometime in the middle of August, and it is out sometime in the first or second week of June.

As for the comments about how NC is such a terrible place to live, that isn't true. Crime in our state isn't incredibly high (crime in Charlotte is pretty high, but that's one city). Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and Chapel Hill are all pretty safe (Raleigh is extremely safe for a city it's size). Charlotte is a great place, and crime only occurs in the bad neighborhoods for the most part. You aren't going to get randomly shot on Trade Street downtown is the point I'm trying to make.

It is true that teachers in our state don't make as much as teachers in some states, but the cost of living is lower here. You're in the south, and things cost less. You don't need as much money to live well here as you do when compared to living in Boston, New York City, or Philadelphia. Of course Raleigh and Charlotte are more expensive than some areas, but I think you will find them to be cheaper than your cost of living in PA.

On August 5th, 2010, NC Public Schools released a study that stated that the current high school graduation rate in NC was 74.2%. This rate had climbed from 63% in 2001. The study said that NC was above the national average, and that gains were expected to continue.

NC Public Schools released their salary schedule. Here is the link to the site. Salary Guides

Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljordan View Post
My wife and I are planning on moving, so she can pursue her teaching career as their have been a lot of cuts here recently. We currently live out in the coutry outside of the small town of Middleburg, PA. She is a math teacher and I am in the IT field. We are in our late 20's. We enjoy living in the country and being in the outdoors. We both really enjoy hunting and fishing. We also enjoy going to metal concerts, so it would be nice to be within a hour or 2 away from a major city for such events. We would like to get away from some of the arrogant people in this area and get a taste of that southern hospitality.
The number 1 question is: why NC versus another state? How much research have you done? What specifically has made you ask about this state, compared to others (or are you posting this in every state's C-D forum? ). And how much research have you done on the specific industries you're looking fro jobs in? Don't go by a magazine article.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM

71 posts, read 111,555 times
Whip where did u move too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina