Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,644 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on moving, so she can pursue her teaching career as their have been a lot of cuts here recently. We currently live out in the coutry outside of the small town of Middleburg, PA. She is a math teacher and I am in the IT field. We are in our late 20's. We enjoy living in the country and being in the outdoors. We both really enjoy hunting and fishing. We also enjoy going to metal concerts, so it would be nice to be within a hour or 2 away from a major city for such events. We would like to get away from some of the arrogant people in this area and get a taste of that southern hospitality.

Could someone please offer us some suggestions to what areas we may be interested in that would fit us? Could someone also fill us in on how the schools work here? I know some of them go year round and that is not something she is interested in. Are the majority like this or is it completly independant upon the district?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Lots of cuts here and more to come. You might have luck looking in Guliford County and some more rural areas. It is best to find a position (if there are any) and move there. Chance are you will not be able to pick an area and find a job. IT will probably be found in the Triangle, and Charlotte more readily than elsewheres.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I second the PP's comments. Do some reading through the forum about teaching jobs. If you have certain IT skills, there are many jobs posted in Raleigh, Durham and other Triangle towns, although some are "pro-forma" postings by the state and duplicates.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 30,142 times
We were in a similar situation sometime ago and decided to make a move from Northeast to NC. Wake county worked out best for us. RTP has more IT jobs than other areas and schools are fairly decent in Wake county. There are traditional and year round schools. You can get the information from WCPSS site.

You might not be able to live way out in country if you want to take benefit of better schools and proximity to RTP. Overall this region has better potential and quality of life.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,072 times
It is best to find a position (if there are any) and move there. Chance are you will not be able to pick an area and find a job. http://www.filii.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM

49 posts, read 114,597 times
My experience comes from western NC but it seems like they are cutting teaching jobs like crazy in NC too. Two teachers will retire and they'll replace them with one. I don't know why everyone thinks there are teaching jobs in NC. In my experience, if a position is open, there are 100 applicants and 10 interviewees. If I didn't already live here, I would not move here for a teaching job. It's pretty hard but not impossible to find a teaching job. Luckily your wife teaches math which is highly sought after. A lot of the time they'll hire someone who worked as a TA for a few years with a bachelor's degree and a teaching license or somebody's son or somebody who knows somebody else too. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,987 times
In addition to teaching jobs being hard to find and land, don't expect a great salary once you can get the job - at least from what I know of the Char-Meck system.

If you want teaching and IT, you will need to be close to a larger city. That will make having a country / rural type home very difficult. The large cities have been suffering from years of out of control urban sprawl. If you can find a place in a country type setting within good proximity of the city, you'll experience either paying a very pretty penny for it or have to deal with terrible traffic congestion during rush hours. Otherwise, expect a significant commute for one of you.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
In addition to teaching jobs being hard to find and land, don't expect a great salary once you can get the job - at least from what I know of the Char-Meck system.

If you want teaching and IT, you will need to be close to a larger city. That will make having a country / rural type home very difficult. The large cities have been suffering from years of out of control urban sprawl. If you can find a place in a country type setting within good proximity of the city, you'll experience either paying a very pretty penny for it or have to deal with terrible traffic congestion during rush hours. Otherwise, expect a significant commute for one of you.

Teacher salaries are the same state wide for the years experience---which has not increased in 4 years. The 2011-2012 scale is on the web site and the salaries are still frozen. The counties all offer a different "supplement" that is paid 2X annually.

SALARY & SUPPLEMENT

Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,971 times
DO NOT move to NC!!!. Made the mistake of moving from FL to Bumblef**k, NC only to find the lowest wages in the U.S. Not to mention the crime, and lets not forget the taxes, Apparently, Facebook is opening a (?) center 20 miles from me, but not until 2014. As for teaching, the pay is never enough, kids only go to school here so the parents can have a free babysitter. Half don't graduate, and those that do never seem to go to college.

Use the old carpenter's adage, measure twice, cut once.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplashalley View Post
DO NOT move to NC!!!. Made the mistake of moving from FL to Bumblef**k, NC only to find the lowest wages in the U.S. Not to mention the crime, and lets not forget the taxes, Apparently, Facebook is opening a (?) center 20 miles from me, but not until 2014. As for teaching, the pay is never enough, kids only go to school here so the parents can have a free babysitter. Half don't graduate, and those that do never seem to go to college.

Use the old carpenter's adage, measure twice, cut once.
I'm not even a resident of NC (yet), but that's a load of BS. Please offer links to solid sources that verify that information - especially that half the kids in school don't graduate, don't go to college, and that the wages are half the national average.

If YOU made the mistake of moving to such a terrible place, you should blame yourself for not doing your own research ahead of time. Maybe you should tell us where YOU went to school as a warning as a warning to others. Evidently, they don't produce graduates who are well prepared for adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina