U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 AM

3,107 posts, read 4,130,506 times

Advertisements

The Hispanic population of an area is usually much higher than the proportion of the electorate, for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The Hispanic population of an area is usually much higher than the proportion of the electorate, for obvious reasons.
Yep, no telling how many can actually vote legally in federal elections since there's no requirement to prove citizenship or identity.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,001,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yep, no telling how many can actually vote legally in federal elections since there's no requirement to prove citizenship or identity.
Yes there is you have to provide an SSN, or drivers license number when you register. With that said I don't know if there are exit polls for individual counties.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes there is you have to provide an SSN, or drivers license number when you register. With that said I don't know if there are exit polls for individual counties.
Interesting. The only item my county asks for is the last four digits of a SSN, if you don't provide a state-issued ID number to register. When actually voting, all they ask for is a name and nothing else. I guess any name will do as long as it's on the polling site printout.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,001,546 times
Quote:
Interesting. The only item my county asks for is the last four digits of a SSN, if you don't provide a state-issued ID number to register. When actually voting, all they ask for is a name and nothing else. I guess any name will do as long as it's on the polling site printout.
Yes last 4 of your social works where I live as well. In my county the ask name, address, and birthday, which would take some more digging then just picking a name. Either way it is a lot of fraud, and a lot of risk for not that much especially for someone who is an illegal alien, which explains why there were only a few dozen cases nationwide over a span of years.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM

3,314 posts, read 5,165,515 times
Quote:
Oh fun! This false scare tactic. Always fun to recite things that aren't true.

Here is a NYT article stating that "there is widespread but not unanimous agreement that there is little polling place fraud...

Or this widely-cited study that concluded "Voter fraud is extremely rare". at the federal level, records show that only 24 people were convicted of or pleaded guilty to illegal voting between 2002 and 2005, an average of eight people a year.

Or how about this study that went over the 2004 Governor race in Washington State, which found a fraud rate of 0.0009%, or in Ohio in 2004 when the fraud rate was 0.00004%.

Also poll taxes, which requiring IDs are, are against the law. So you would have to spend more taxpayer money to ensure every person have a government-issued ID. No thanks.

So basically you have conservatives screaming this, when in actually it only suppresses and discriminates. I am all for fair elections, but this does NOT do it.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,968,221 times
The rare occasions of voting fraud have been with absentee voting, not voting at polls. All voting laws to stop the fake epidemic of voting fraud is aimed at poll voting.

Hmmm......

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM

3,755 posts, read 3,274,530 times
[quote=LLN;23358038]

Perhaps our growing population centers is the reason for why NC is causing a shift in voting patterns. Similar to Ohio

I'm pretty sure NC has larger and more urban centers than Georgia so urban areas can influence it's neighboring counties where as Georgia is sort of a 1 man show. Georgia's 2nd largest city would be NC's 7th largest city.

So my theory is perhaps since North Carolina has major population centers throughout the state, the more the urban population centers can influence their outlying counties. Since our population centers have been known to be fast growing, and larger urban centers are known to be more moderate, I'm assuming its just our larger cities growing and having more state-wide influence.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-16-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

3,107 posts, read 4,130,506 times
If Romney wins the GOP primary in NC, it will be further evidence that NC is or has become a much more moderate, purple state. Even in VA, Romney only won because Gingrich and Santorum were not on the ballot there.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM

172 posts, read 229,688 times
Transplants in the Triangle, and Charlotte area, as well as from latin ameirca and eastern europe, and a growing number of black vopters, none of these groups support republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or