U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,826 times

Advertisements

For nearly 35 years of my life I've been living in Virginia and I'm so over it. It sucks here. I'm 34 recently married with 2 active boys and would like to move to N.C. Problem is I don't know where to start my seach. I know I don't want big country living or fast city living, but some excitement will do. And I perfer to not have to drive 20 to 30 miles to go shopping. I would like to give my boys something better than this so called commonwealth. I'm way pass my timeline on moving and will give Va. one more year of my life and I'm outta here. So if anyone from the Tar Heel state can help me out that will be awsome. Just let me know what will be a good fit for a family of 4 who needs somewhere new to call home. Can't wait to see what yall come up with.

Sincrerely,
Fran B
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,059,884 times
where do you live in va? i read somewhere that the richmond-petersburg area has the highest retail square footage per person and i definitely believe it...i can get to 20 wal-marts within a half hour :/. parts of nc suck (like greenville) and other parts are awesome (like chapel hill) and the same goes for va so its hard to say.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM

49 posts, read 102,150 times
I like living in Catawba County, but there are no jobs. It's close enough to Charlotte, mountains, 4-5 hours from beaches. Oh, and it was listed in some magazine as one of the places where people are the least satisfied. Hmmm...maybe you shouldn't come here

Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

804 posts, read 1,797,653 times
you haven't given much to go on. what part of VA are you in now & what do you dislike about it?

the best advice we can give is find job(s) & then move. once you have a better idea of job location & housing price, we could give you some direction.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 PM

11 posts, read 38,349 times
Default raleigh or charlotte

I am from NC. I would try Raleigh or Charlotte, both are great places to live.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 38,349 times
both raleigh and charlotte have a great job market. I have been here for 30 something years. I am relocating to DC, but try these two areas....

Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM

85 posts, read 160,750 times
So VA sucks and somewhere in NC will be the promised land. OK,

You might like the coastal areas with lots of bridges!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,414,647 times
You'e the one who is thinking of moving, so you are the one who should be coming up with the "why", as well as the "where", based on the "why". All you've told us is that you hate Virginia--maybe NC isn't the place for you at all, as it is quite a bit like Va. You may want to get somewhere farther from this area of the country. Actually I can't think of another state more like Va overall than NC.

But, I don't know how you can expect us to tell you why you should move, since you are the one who has decided that.

Quote:
Just let me know what will be a good fit for a family of 4 who needs somewhere new to call home.
This provides almost zero information. All you say is you want to get out of Va, not why you picked NC over the other 48 "not Virginia" states.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 AM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
I can't help but comment that your post did not mention what your new husband and kids want to do. Not even once. Perhaps that omission says more about your current dissatisfaction than your perception that the entire state of VA "sucjs".

Is your family equally miserable? Why? Are your kids attending lousy schools? Are you living in an area where they are easily exposed to drugs, gangs or other bad things for rearing kids? Will you or your husband be leaving good, stable jobs with good employers for less money and unknown employers? Will you guys even be able to find jobs? Do you own your home in VA? Can you sell it for what you owe on the mortgage and still be able to buy a new one?

Not to be rude, but those are the REAL questions you should be asking yourself AND your family, long before post a very vague request for guidance to strangers on some Internet forum.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,356,656 times
VA is just as geographically and culturally diverse as NC. If you can't find a suitable place to live in VA, I doubt your issues will be magically solved by crossing the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina