Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,765 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to the Vass,NC area from Northern AZ. I have a great job prospect and will know within a month or so if I got the job.My concern/question is what is the mosquito situation? We have them here, but have heard rumor(?) that they are horrendous there. Also, my understanding is that there is an overabundance of snakes in the area? Is it safe to let your kids play out in the yard? Can you swim in the bodies of water in the area? I have 6 children who love the outdoors so this will be a big factor in our decision. Thanks for any answers you can send my way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,024 times
I'm trying hard not to laugh at your question, as I'm sure you must be concerned for your family since you've heard such bad things. So I'll just say no, the rumors you've heard are way overblown to the point of being ridiculous. There are snakes and mosquitoes in NC, including Vass, but rarely does anyone give them a second thought. A little bug spray and education about snakes is all you'll need. Those two things would be somewhere around 1,000,000th on a list of things to worry about when moving to NC.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarrill View Post
Is it safe to let your kids play out in the yard?
At least as safe as in Arizona, but you need to be aware of ticks and redbugs. They are annoying in the summer, and you have to pull the ticks off by hand.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
No self-respecting snake thread should be without this website. Amphibians and Reptiles of North Carolina - Davidson Herpetology Laboratory Hope it helps.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,060 times
If the snakes don't get you, the religious fanatics will. If you are unlucky, you will come across religious fanatics with snakes. At that point, bend over and.......

You will be fine.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,765 times
So arbyunc you stated it would be like the 1,000,000th thing to worry over can you maybe tell me what you think would be of much more concern moving into that area? Anyone with advice/comments please let me know. It's a big move and we just want to be educated on the area.THANKS

Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
what you think would be of much more concern moving into that area? Anyone with advice/comments please let me know. It's a big move and we just want to be educated on the area.THANKS
The humidity in the summer will be much harder to take than in Arizona.

People are generally very family oriented and many are involved in church activities.

There are also many military folks in the area. If you are already familiar with military towns, it should not be a shock that Fayetteville has some ugly areas.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,024 times
Quote:
So arbyunc you stated it would be like the 1,000,000th thing to worry over can you maybe tell me what you think would be of much more concern moving into that area? Anyone with advice/comments please let me know. It's a big move and we just want to be educated on the area.THANKS
Can't really think of anything particular to worry about that's unique to the area. Sounds like you already have the job figured out, so that would be the main thing. It's a nice area, and a great place for kids to grow up. They'll find lots of things to do outdoors.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,882 times
TCarrill, you haven't been to the area yet? I would personally want to visit the area before committing to a job there. It's a big move you want to make certain its the right step. People are very helpful on this forum but there's nothing like seeing the place for yourself. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina