U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 AM
 
475 posts, read 406,042 times
Reputation: 257

Advertisements

I am looking for a place in NC that is withing 30 minutes of foothills but not so close that icy roads are an issue. I am interested in a mid size town(min of 50,000 max of 100,000) or city . I have learned that nice small towns cover the entire state so I know it's likely there will be one of those nearby for visiting. I would like a college of any size within 30 minutes as well. I am not interested in Asheville . Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
2,140 posts, read 763,836 times
Reputation: 892
Salisbury may fit the bill. Alot of people dont realize the Uharrie range is east of town going out 52 to 49. 4 colleges in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 AM
 
475 posts, read 406,042 times
Reputation: 257
Thanks Boss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Status: "NO MORE TURNING AWAY" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Heart of TEA country--Livingston County, MI
7,709 posts, read 10,517,811 times
Reputation: 5318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Salisbury may fit the bill. Alot of people dont realize the Uharrie range is east of town going out 52 to 49. 4 colleges in town.
Salisbury would be a great place to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
 
2,694 posts, read 2,126,779 times
Reputation: 3677
salisbury has a beautiful old down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,132 posts, read 57,055,127 times
Reputation: 38368
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I am looking for a place in NC that is withing 30 minutes of foothills but not so close that icy roads are an issue. I am interested in a mid size town(min of 50,000 max of 100,000) or city . I have learned that nice small towns cover the entire state so I know it's likely there will be one of those nearby for visiting. I would like a college of any size within 30 minutes as well. I am not interested in Asheville . Any help would be appreciated.
Look at Wilkesboro - it has everything on your list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,660 posts, read 18,340,449 times
Reputation: 3548
The NC foothill counties, those counties that are in both the Piedmont and Mountain Regions:

Surry
Wilkes
Caldwell
Burke
McDowell
Rutherford
Polk

I don't know of any cities with populations between 50,000 and 100,000 within a 30 minute drive of those areas.

However, resistant knobs and hills, called monadnocks, which occur in the Piedmont Region, include the Sauratown, South, and Uwharrie Mountains may be a substitute for the foothills.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-01-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,172 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Reputation: 4407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The NC foothill counties, those counties that are in both the Piedmont and Mountain Regions:

Surry
Wilkes
Caldwell
Burke
McDowell
Rutherford
Polk

I don't know of any cities with populations between 50,000 and 100,000 within a 30 minute drive of those areas.

However, Resistant knobs and hills, called monadnocks, which occur in the Piedmont Region, include the Sauratown, South, and Uwharrie Mountains may be a substitute for the foothills.
The Kings Mountain range falls in the monadnock category & Gastonia is right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM
 
475 posts, read 406,042 times
Reputation: 257
Wow! Thanks everyone! So many great places to choose from. I would like this to be my final move so I want to get it just right. I will only me able to visit a few times from my latest home in Sarasota so the research is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,132 posts, read 57,055,127 times
Reputation: 38368
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Wow! Thanks everyone! So many great places to choose from. I would like this to be my final move so I want to get it just right. I will only me able to visit a few times from my latest home in Sarasota so the research is important.
Let us know if there are other questions we can answer for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top