U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 36,335 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are relocating from New York (Long Island). I will be attending school in Raleigh and she will be working full time in Tarboro.

We may be relocating as soon as two weeks from now so urgent help is needed!

I previously lived near Fayetteville but am completely unfamiliar with the Raleigh/Tarboro area/commute.

My girlfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are looking for a town that is safe (low crime) but also has stuff to do (e.g some sort of night life like a bar, a coffee shop or some place to hang out in town), maybe some ppl near our age range, and preferably a walkable town.

We were thinking some place in between Tarboro and Raleigh to cut down on both of our commutes but are pretty open in general. Preferably not overbearingly religious or republican, we are fairly moderate in our views on both issues, but we understand that may be a sacrifice.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,047,212 times
im pretty sure any town between raleigh and tarboro is going to be the exact opposite of what you're looking for. there's not a long going on in that stretch. most people go to raleigh for something to do.

Last edited by brocco; 04-02-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sure we won't be able to find exactly what we're looking for, but figured I'd supply some background to help with answers. Any feedback is helpful, even about safety.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,464,447 times
US 64 is the best route between Tarboro and Raleigh. The halfway point would be somewhere around Nashville. It's very rural and, like what's already been said, not a lot of do. You'll probably find yourself going to Rocky Mount (about 15-20 mins east) or Raleigh (about 45 mins west) for stuff to do.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Thank you very much, I'm going to look into Nashville.

I've also read some good things about Greenville in terms of people in our age range and nightlife if you know the areas to avoid (I've read to stay away from the northwest?).

How is the commute from Greenville to Tarboro?

And what about Tarboro itself?

safety is also very important, considering my girlfriend may be there alone for extended periods of time.

Thank you

Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM

10,395 posts, read 19,379,925 times
Wilson is somewhere to look into, too. She can prepare for a HUGE culture shock from Long Island to Tarboro, HUGE.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM

524 posts, read 1,139,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer5685 View Post

I've also read some good things about Greenville in terms of people in our age range and nightlife if you know the areas to avoid (I've read to stay away from the northwest?).

safety is also very important, considering my girlfriend may be there alone for extended periods of time.

Thank you
The commute from Greenville to Tarboro is a little over 25 miles, but you do realize that it is SOUTHEAST of Tarboro, and not between Raleigh and Tarboro? It would be about 90 miles one way to Raleigh from Greenville, and that's not a drive you would want to make to go to school every day. If you wanted something a little more central for the commute, maybe Wilson? It's still about 50 miles to Raleigh, though.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,047,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer5685 View Post

Thank you
yea as someone else mentioned greenville is in the other direction- not between raleigh and tarboro. i would never willingly live in greenville but that is a rant for another day. personally i think you should either live in raleigh where you'll have what you're looking for or suck it up and live in a rural area like wilson/nashville/whatever.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM

We grew up in eastern Long Island and are from small towns, each with like 2-4 bars, a supermarket, some small stores, a deli, and a pizza place. We're used to driving 20-30 min to the movies or a mall. Don't neccessarily need the big city, could probably deal with something "rural" if it at least had a food store, bar, and coffee shop/ place to eat.

I understand Greenville is east. I'd love to hear more about Greenville or Wilson?

Also, Could anyone elaborate on what some of these small towns like Nashville are like? (or any similar ones off 64 area)?

Thank you!

Last edited by Golfer5685; 04-02-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM

502 posts, read 1,464,447 times
I grew up just northeast of Tarboro. There was nothing to do when I left about 15 years ago and even less to do now.

The commute from Wilson/Greenville to Raleigh is doable, but will get old rather quickly IMO, largely because there really isn't anything other than trees along US 264, the road you'd be traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina