Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM

230 posts, read 578,718 times

Advertisements

I bought a car this year, new, I paid $380 Highway Use Tax. Thanx....the roads still s..k and you only can drive about 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runhao_hu View Post
How about leasing? Will they charge the same 3% of market value?

To tell you the truth, if you are new to NC, as I do, you will find that tax burden here is higher than a lot of states, including MA. The only tax that is cheaper is the real estate tax per sq. feet. Other than that NC might give some tax incentives to Corporations if they can create local job opportunites.

Let's face the truth. NC is not a heaven, but it is a very nice place to raise family, because you will need larger house ...

Of cause, the whether (except summer) is nice.
Are you suggesting that we should give tax incentives to Corporations so they can create more jobs so more people will move here. Why would we want to do that? Companies come here on their own without incentives.

Life is a little more fair when everyone pays his own way. That's called taxes. If you want a free ride you will have to go to another state.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM

353 posts, read 995,670 times
People are confusing the Highway Use Tax (one-time tax) and the Annual Property Tax.

To the original poster: You will pay the HUT ONCE, and you will pay Property Tax on your vehicle(S) annually -- this includes boats, trailers, jet skis, cars, motorcycles, etc.. Each is billed, and each is based on the state's "blue book" value of your vehicle(S).

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Are you suggesting that we should give tax incentives to Corporations so they can create more jobs so more people will move here. Why would we want to do that? Companies come here on their own without incentives.
But some companies do come here due to tax incentives

Dell

That new Google Server Farm

Honda Jets

edit
crap I got pulled in lol um on topic. Dont forget the annual property tax on any registered vechicle.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
I bought a car this year, new, I paid $380 Highway Use Tax. Thanx....the roads still s..k and you only can drive about 70.
Were you a NC resident at the time of purchase?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM

230 posts, read 578,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Were you a NC resident at the time of purchase?
Yes I was.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
NC politicians have never seen a tax or fee they didn't like, even cities.

I pay my annual property tax on my vehicles, for both the county, and the city, then the city has the nerve to tack an additional $10 vehicle fee onto the same tax bill. NC also has one of the highest gas taxes in the country, plus the $30 OBD inspection, for revenue of course, and the annual renewal for license plates.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
People are confusing the Highway Use Tax (one-time tax) and the Annual Property Tax.

To the original poster: You will pay the HUT ONCE, and you will pay Property Tax on your vehicle(S) annually -- this includes boats, trailers, jet skis, cars, motorcycles, etc.. Each is billed, and each is based on the state's "blue book" value of your vehicle(S).
Exactly. You will only pay this tax at the point of title transfer, which was whenever you got the title. AFter that, you have to pay annual property tax which is a %age of the current value, not the purchase price. You should have already paid the HUT when you got the car.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
.... you have to pay annual property tax which is a %age of the current value, not the purchase price.
Property tax on vehicles which decreases due to depreciation. I keep a spreadsheet that lists those numbers for the last 5 years. It gets a little ridiculous; it probably cost as much to send me the bill and process the return for the $2 property tax I owe on an old hauling trailer as the tax itself

Anyway, keep those statements. They become a deduction on your income taxes.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Default how about state sales tax - also deductible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Anyway, keep those statements. They become a deduction on your income taxes.
a bit OT - but, is the general sales tax also deductible on the federal income taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina