Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 425,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaspirit View Post
To Wire120
I absolutely agree with you. You are right and you DO have facts to back up what you say. We moved to RM Jan 1999 and gave it a 100% try. We finally got our house to sell but we even moved out of RM before it was sold. That is how badly we wanted out. We found it a very bad place to live for several reasons. Bad job market, a lot of narrow minded people not open to newcomers especially northerners, insects that I have never seen before in my life, snakes, violent thunderstorms, very hot for at least 8 months of the year, lots of mold and pollen floating around, tornado threats very often and very limited restaurants except for national chains. People seem friendly but are really just full of phony, syrupy sweetness. My daughter lives there with her teenagers for 15 years now and verifies that all the young people leave. The public schools leave a lot to be desired. I have seen notes sent home by teachers with spelling mistakes. She makes a living in a real estate office by evaluating foreclosures which are numerous. I think that it's dangerous for some people to go there and judge to soon by what is just on the surface. If anyone wants to move there, please RENT before entrenching yourself by buying a home.
Yep, what you say is true, especially about the bad job market. Most of the young professionals move to Raleigh or elsewhere. There is no way I would raise a family there with how bad the public schools are. Personally the worst thing I hated about Rocky Mount was the lack of quality restaraunts.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist View Post
What an awesome post!!!!! Thank you. You made my day. I am a dentist from Maryland and I love Rocky Mount. I started this post and one lesson I have learned and know from the Bible is that you can't argue with a fool. (You know what I mean).
Your post brought tears to my eyes. Rocky Mount is a nice city!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for your input. I hope your post encourages others as it did me.
It WAS a nice city, a long long time ago. No offence but some of you guys sound like you dont know what is going on around you.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Also about the locals not accepting Northerners. You are going to have that in a lot of places in North Carolina, not just Rocky Mount. A lot of people are still fighting the Civil War in North Carolina and the south, which is ashame. Though a lot of the locals in Rocky Mount are incredibly closed minded about anything and live in their own little bubble.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 PM

67 posts, read 166,987 times
Default We've been in RM for over a year now

We moved to Rocky Mount in Aug. of 06. I don't have enough history of RM or know enough knowledge about the city in general to be able to point out all it's flaws but we have seen for ourselves some of the cities problems on the OTHER hand though - we have seen it's good also. We won't be staying long enough to get involved in the politics of the city or even long enough to worry about how to solve any of it's problems but we have had nothing but good experiences here. If I listen to what people say - I DO feel discouraged - thinking - did we do the right thing? But when I really look at our lives and what has happened over the last year then I know we made the right choice, have had good experiences, have made great memories, and have seen area (Nags Head, cotton fields, tobacco, soy fields, etc) that I would never have been able to see had we not moved here. Cotton, tobacco, soy, farms, and FLAT land wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but it's an experience that I wouldn't have ever had if we hadn't of lived here.

Our time here will end in another 6 mths or so and I am excited about getting back closer to family but I will not regret living in RM. I have made the best of my life in RM and even though there HAS been terrible crime here that I haven't had back home - oddly I have felt pretty safe. To the original poster - I wish you WELL in your new job and hope RM is an awesome place for you to live, work, and play.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,481 times
Smile Rocky Mount

Well, lets just say that Rocky Mount has the best and worst to offer. I'm sorry but there are some nice independent dinners and restuarants, but you might have to take the time to look for them. I can think of quite a few I've visited in the last month though. There are some really great people who live in Rocky Mount. I'm included in that. LOL. Jokeing aside though, I've met some very amazing personalities here. The job market is pretty fair, depending on your job skills. We do have a nice selection of department stores. We also have alot of individually owned businesses to though, which to me gives Rocky Mount the convenience of a big city and the comforts of a small town. There are some beautiful neighborhoods here and houses I just dream about living in, in the neighborhoods that I would love to watch my son grow up in. I can't afford that now, but maybe one day. The slums of Rocky Top are as bad as the good parts are good. No one wants to go to down town Rocky Mount, It's trashy and rugged looking. I try to avoid that side. Most of the violence is spread from that way. I wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it is. It's almost like the rail road tracks are the line in the ying yang.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
What Planet are you from? Rocky Mount is a disgusting place to live!!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 10,481 times
I've seen much worst. Everyone's a critic.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 AM

8 posts, read 52,107 times
As far as shopping goes, I could not even find a standard rain coat in all of Rocky Mount.
In addition, the job market is NOT very fair as you say. Once they know you are not from the south you are lucky to get a job in Wal-Mart. This is not to say that the locals can find jobs. They have a very difficult time as well. The locals who do have jobs, for the most part, try not to leave them for fear of not finding another one!! This was not my first experience in North Carolina. I was stationed there in 1967 and nothing has changed. They are not receptive to outsiders. Can you name five good restaurants in RM that are not chains? I was there last week to visit my daughter and I couldnt find them. I think that some of the reporters that work for the RM Telegram should take refresher courses in spelling and grammar. Where did you come from that you think RM is such a wonderfule place?

Last edited by ninaspirit; 01-12-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 52,107 times
To Wire120
Just To Let You Know That They Have Civil War Reenactments Where The South Has Won The War!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,196 times
N A-O
Quote:
But that too is changing as evidenced in the churches. God is definitely at work, healing the old wounds of discord and seperation. Just to be able to worship along side people of different races when I come home, is something so precious & significant. The impact of this cultural shift is for the better good of all of Rocky Mount's citizens and hopefully soon, we can all stop seeing Rocky Mount as a town divided along racial lines & rail road tracks. So, instead of spewing a venomous, rancorous attitude, why not harness that passion into helping to build up the city you gleefully vilify. Allow your heart to be opened to the biblical principle of "loving your neighbor as yourself". Because nothing good ever comes out of bitterness & fear.
While your point was conveyed with much elegance and how it's obvious that you attended a prestigious university far, far from here.. I was disappointed to see how such an intelligent person could believe that God could exist. Such is the way we were all raised, I suppose. God is not real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina