U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,070 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am graduating from college in a few months and am planning on accepting a job in Rocky Mount, NC. From what I have read on this forum, Rocky Mount isn't the most popular place to live. I am looking to live in a college town with a "Main St." that has bars and restaurants for all of the twenty-somethings nearby. I do not mind commuting each day for 45mins - 1 hour, but more than that will be pushing it. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,024,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImFromNewYork View Post
Hi All,

I am graduating from college in a few months and am planning on accepting a job in Rocky Mount, NC. From what I have read on this forum, Rocky Mount isn't the most popular place to live. I am looking to live in a college town with a "Main St." that has bars and restaurants for all of the twenty-somethings nearby. I do not mind commuting each day for 45mins - 1 hour, but more than that will be pushing it. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks for any advice!
Rocky Mount is pretty far out there. The closest places I can think of that actually have sizable colleges are Greenville and Raleigh, and neither of which is a really what you would call a "college town" like say Boone, or Chapel Hill would be. Additionally both Greenville and Raleigh are quite far from Rocky mount.

There is a reason that Rocky Mount isn't the most popular place to live.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,434,121 times
Greenville most certainly IS a college town, home to East Carolina University. Definitely the one and only "college town" close (-ish) to Rocky Mount with what you describe. But yeah, not exactly "nearby".

Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Greenville most certainly IS a college town, home to East Carolina University. Definitely the one and only "college town" close (-ish) to Rocky Mount with what you describe. But yeah, not exactly "nearby".
I suppose you could argue that Greenville is a "college town" in the same way you could argue that Durham is a "college town," or Greensboro is a "college town" because they have large universities. Heck even Raleigh has NC State and a bunch of smaller colleges, but Greenville like those other places is really more of a city then a "college town" since college towns by definition are dominated by the university population.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-11-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I suppose you could argue that Greenville is a "college town" in the same way you could argue that Durham is a "college town," or Greensboro is a "college town" because they have large universities. Heck even Raleigh has NC State and a bunch of smaller colleges, but Greenville like those other places is really more of a city then a "college town" since college towns by definition are dominated by the university population.
Greenville IS dominated by East Carolina and the hospital. They are the reason Greenville isn't Kinston.

You can take NC43 or NC11/US64 to Rocky Mount and be there within an hour, which is acceptable to OP. You can also make it to RM in about the same time from Raleigh, but it is definitely not a college town.

Greenville is approximately 85k, and East Carolina is right under 30k, so around 35% are students.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Greenville IS dominated by East Carolina and the hospital. They are the reason Greenville isn't Kinston.

You can take NC43 or NC11/US64 to Rocky Mount and be there within an hour, which is acceptable to OP. You can also make it to RM in about the same time from Raleigh, but it is definitely not a college town.

Greenville is approximately 85k, and East Carolina is right under 30k, so around 35% are students.
Yeah compare that to Chapel Hill and Boone. Chapel Hill is 57K with 30K students at UNC and Boone has a population of 17K while ASU has 13K students.

That is over 50% in Chapel Hill and Boone a similarly high ratio. The same is true for other colleges towns outside of NC like Ithaca which has 30K residents and a college and university with 26K students, and Charlottesville which is close to 50% student with UVA.

I am sorry, I have been to Greenville many times, and Greenville is not a college town. When I say dominated I mean dominated. There is stuff in Greenville that exists independent of ECU, Chapel Hill has literary nothing that would survive without UNC. Its true Greenville isn't Kinston, but Greensboro isn't High Point either, that doesn't make it a college town. As I said it does have the major university, and if you take a broad definition of "college town" that includes cities then OK, but 1 its not really a town, and 2 the college is not the only thing there. Put simply you wont find any major manufacturing in Ithaca, Charlottesville, or Chapel Hill.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-11-2012 at 07:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,863,450 times
Greenville is your best bet and I would also consider it a college town. Most of the nice things in the city are there as a result of ECU and the hospital just like someone said above.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Last thing I am going to say...The OP is from New York. If by college town he is expecting anything that resembles Binghamton, New Paltz, Ithaca, or Geneseo...Greenville ain't it.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 AM

568 posts, read 850,180 times
Quote:
Last thing I am going to say...The OP is from New York. If by college town he is expecting anything that resembles Binghamton, New Paltz, Ithaca, or Geneseo...Greenville ain't it.
The OP is looking for bars, restaurants and plenty of young people.

Greenville has just that and it's the closest. Maybe it doesn't fit as a college town by spec for "you" but for most it's a college town. Without it, Greenville would be Kinston right now. Dead.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,434,121 times
Quote:
Yeah compare that to Chapel Hill and Boone. Chapel Hill is 57K with 30K students at UNC and Boone has a population of 17K while ASU has 13K students.

That is over 50% in Chapel Hill and Boone a similarly high ratio. The same is true for other colleges towns outside of NC like Ithaca which has 30K residents and a college and university with 26K students, and Charlottesville which is close to 50% student with UVA.
A town doesn't have to have 50% students to be a "college town", at least to people other than you. Greenville is 84K of which 27K are ECU students (not counting faculty, let alone the hospital). Ask around, and somewhere where 1 out of 3 people is a student at a particular university, and where you'll find ECU paraphenalia in just about every store that sells clothing, is a "college town". Unless OP specifically stated that she requires 50% of greater of the locale to be students, I would bet heavily that she would consider Greenville a College Town as per her criteria. Especially when the other criteria is that it needs to be commutable from Rocky Mount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina