U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 7 days ago)

21,915 posts, read 38,841,671 times
Default Tomorrow (4/13) is the last day to register to vote before primary

April 13 is the final day you can register to vote in the May 8 primary.*

Don't miss your chance to vote AGAINST Amendment One and protect all NC families!

• Visit your county Board of Elections during regular business hours to register.
  • Obtain a voter registration form at any public library and return it to your local Board of Elections (must be postmarked April 13, 2012).
  • If you are a student, be aware that high schools are required under state law to have registration forms for you to use.
  • Obtain a registration form at your local Department of Social Services, DMV, or public health office and return it to your local Board of Elections.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 AM

295 posts, read 277,309 times
It's a great idea to go ahead and register, but if you miss this deadline you can also register at one-stop voting sites during the early voting period.

From the NCBOE:
Individuals who miss the registration deadline may register in person and then vote at One-stop voting sites in the person’s county of residence during the one-stop absentee voting period (Early Voting). In order to register during a one-stop period, the applicant must show acceptable proof of name and residence in the county.

I did this when I moved from Buncombe to Wake a few years ago and needed to change my county-of-residence and it was easy as pie. Just had to show my new drivers liscense and I was off to vote!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 7 days ago)

21,915 posts, read 38,841,671 times
I know someone who needs to Absentee vote due to he works out of town.
Does anyone know the exact date the Absentee vote can be submitted for the primary?
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 17,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I know someone who needs to Absentee vote due to he works out of town.
Does anyone know the exact date the Absentee vote can be submitted for the primary?
Thanks.
Absentee voters must return their voted ballot to the board of elections in enough time for the ballot to be received by 5:00 p.m. on the day before the election.

If mailed, the ballot is timely as long as the container-return envelope is postmarked by election day and received no later than three days after the election, by 5:00 p.m. If balloting materials are returned in person, only the voter or a near relative may deliver the ballot.

NC Board of Elections - http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=133

Last edited by mm34b; 04-13-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,690,291 times
And if you want to vote for Ron Paul but aren't a Republican, you need to register R for this election - we don't have open primaries in NC.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 17,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
And if you want to vote for Ron Paul but aren't a Republican, you need to register R for this election - we don't have open primaries in NC.
Unaffiliated voters may vote in any recognized party’s primary, but they may only participate in one. Just ask for the specific party ballot you want when you sign in at your polling place. There are three recognized political parties in North Carolina: Democratic, Republican and Libertarian.

North Carolina State Board of Elections

Last edited by mm34b; 04-13-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM

7,944 posts, read 10,310,339 times
Quote:
Incorrect--we have "semi-open" and Unaffiliated voters can request EITHER a Republican OR a Democratic ballot in the primaries. For this reason, I don't know why everyone isn't "Unaffiliated" as it greatly enhances one's choices in the Primary.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Incorrect--we have "semi-open" and Unaffiliated voters can request EITHER a Republican OR a Democratic ballot in the primaries. For this reason, I don't know why everyone isn't "Unaffiliated" as it greatly enhances one's choices in the Primary.
It certainly makes it more convenient for those of us who like voting joke candidates in primaries.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,690,291 times
I should have checked more than one site - the list I saw didn't have NC listed for semi-open. Thanks. So it's only the D's that can't vote in R primaries.
(I just checked a second source, which also says its closed. But the newsobserver site has an article saying it's semi-open, and you can't argue with the State Board of Elections site.)

Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM

3,271 posts, read 868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Unaffiliated voters may vote in any recognized party’s primary, but they may only participate in one. Just ask for the specific party ballot you want when you sign in at your polling place. There are three recognized political parties in North Carolina: Democratic, Republican and Libertarian.

North Carolina State Board of Elections
Unfortunately the national libertarian party's holding their presidential nominating convention a few days before the NC primary. I don't think there's enough candidates in state-level races for them to have a downticket primary.

Quote:
I should have checked more than one site - the list I saw didn't have NC listed for semi-open. Thanks. So it's only the D's that can't vote in R primaries.
Registered republicans can't vote in democratic or libertarian primaries either. Voters affiliated with a particular party are only allowed to vote in that party's primary. Only unaffiliated voters get a choice of ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina