U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,447,438 times

Advertisements

dude im not a huge rocky mount fan either but come on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM

807 posts, read 1,096,508 times
Two dead in Rocky Mount restaurant shooting :: WRAL.com

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that Rocky Mount has indeed become an extremely dangerous city. The most? Not sure as I don't have the facts to back that up but I do know I will not go anywhere near Rocky Mount any longer and I've felt that way for several years now.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:28 AM

203 posts, read 169,351 times
Dangerous???

My family has been contemplating a move to the Rocky Mount (or perhaps Wilson) area for the last year or so, as an escape from the colder weather and higher crime rate of the Washington DC area. During that time, the crime reports and statistics we've been reading in the Rocky Mount Telegram, and also in the weekly e-bulletins we've been getting from the Rocky Mount Police Dept., have been minuscule compared to what we read about on a daily basis in the Washington Post and watched on our local TV stations for almost every urban or suburban neighborhood in or around our Nation's Capital!

Every urban area is going to have its share of crime. And I'm sure Rocky Mount is no exception. But much of the crime that seems to get reported extensively in the Rocky Mount media would barely rate a few paragraphs in the DC-area newspapers (or a 30-second mention on a DC-area TV news broadcast) -- unless there was some sort of bizarre twist that a crime reporter could use to spin a real news story, thereby making it more "interesting" to an otherwise jaded public vicariously feeding on fictionalized TV drama.

Think Rocky Mount is dangerous? Maybe you've been watching too much TV.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM

2,045 posts, read 2,447,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Dangerous???

My family has been contemplating a move to the Rocky Mount (or perhaps Wilson) area for the last year or so, as an escape from the colder weather and higher crime rate of the Washington DC area. During that time, the crime reports and statistics we've been reading in the Rocky Mount Telegram, and also in the weekly e-bulletins we've been getting from the Rocky Mount Police Dept., have been minuscule compared to what we read about on a daily basis in the Washington Post and watched on our local TV stations for almost every urban or suburban neighborhood in or around our Nation's Capital!

Every urban area is going to have its share of crime. And I'm sure Rocky Mount is no exception. But much of the crime that seems to get reported extensively in the Rocky Mount media would barely rate a few paragraphs in the DC-area newspapers (or a 30-second mention on a DC-area TV news broadcast) -- unless there was some sort of bizarre twist that a crime reporter could use to spin a real news story, thereby making it more "interesting" to an otherwise jaded public vicariously feeding on fictionalized TV drama.

rocky mount is hardly an urban area.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,450,810 times
Quote:
Dangerous???

How can you compare DC (metro 5.58 million) to Rocky Mount (metro 145,596)? You can't. But if you want to move there, more power to ya.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM

203 posts, read 169,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
rocky mount is hardly an urban area.
Although it's definitely not a "major" city, and it's obviously smaller than most "major" cities, Rocky Mount is still defined as a city ... hence, RM and its suburbs would be defined as an "urban area" by most of those concerned with such things.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM

110 posts, read 143,921 times
good luck if you move there. Honestly you mentioned Wilson, which is about 20 minutes down the road. I would look there if you are set on the area. RM and maybe a couple of other places are on my list of no way to live there. Grew up in eastern NC, moved away and have lived in some big Cities (Atlanta, Oklahoma City etc.) and percentage wise based on population Rocky Mount has become much worse.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,480,058 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Rocky-...-Carolina.html

Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,080,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
I'd be more scared of Fayetteville or Durham.
Hope Valley area of Durham is very nice and very safe!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 PM

91 posts, read 112,774 times
Quote:
Dangerous???

I agree with you, I lived in Silver Spring for a few years, and Rocky Mount seems to be nothing to that, nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina