U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM

905 posts, read 3,063,080 times

Advertisements

I have yet to see a single anti-amendment one commercial. Why is that?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I have yet to see a single anti-amendment one commercial. Why is that?
I have seen it but they are not as frequent due to the other side has Super Pacs. I seen one about a lady concern over domestic abuse.

Here latest by Senator Kagan

U.S. Senator Kay Hagan Speaks Out Against Amendment One - YouTube

Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADARob View Post
Without fanning the flames, I will say that I am not in favor of it. I believe it will do more harm than good.
That is the purpose of hate, to harm, and that is exactly what the preachers that support this are doing, preaching their hate based on bronze age ignorance. Some focus not on the love and tolerance that religion is supposed to be, but on the irrational hate of anyone that dare be different in any way.

We have been accosted by these people preaching their hate on the evening news (WLOS Asheville), but fortunately there are also other religious leaders that oppose the knee jerk hate demonstrated by the fundy sects.

This is just the new racism, which is now illegal and politically incorrect.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times
Many of us may think that we don’t have a dog in this fight, for the simple reason we are not in a gay relationship, nor is a loved one or a family member. You may not even know a gay couple.

That is the most dangerous trait that many exhibit, the trait of willful and deliberate ignorance, which is the greatest danger in society. For this amendment does much to harm many others, while doing nothing to offer any additional protection to a heterosexual marriage. Many will believe, and have been “told” from the pulpits of many churches they are protecting marriage by voting only against same sex marriages, but willful ignore the harm done to many others not even contemplating a same sex marriage.

Real threats to marriage exist: substance abuse, financial stress, abuse and infidelity. Thoughtful citizens of NC know that LGBT couples in committed relationships pose no real threat to the institution of marriage. The only real threat that exists in this discussion lies with the many consequences that come with institutionalizing discrimination by amending our state’s constitution.

Proponents of this discriminatory amendment are quick to gloss over its numerous and severe impacts. While my family would not be directly negatively impacted by this amendment, we have scores of friends and constituents who would be and we are committed to standing up for them.

Every woman, and anyone with daughters should be outraged at Amendment One’s impact on violence against women. Amendment One has the power to leave open for question how North Carolina’s domestic violence laws are applied — threatening our state’s victims of domestic violence. Our community is experiencing a rise in domestic violence and we are seeing its deadly consequences in the headlines of our local papers. Why are we seeing on our ballots a proposed amendment that would, by all expert accounts, undermine the protection of victims?

If passed, domestic violence protections may only apply to married couples, leaving thousands of women without life-saving recourse. This week our Attorney General, Roy Cooper, weighed in on the Amendment’s dangerous consequences and urged citizens to vote “No”.

In Ohio, where a similar amendment passed, this loophole allowed convictions to be overturned. Based on these real experiences in other states, local advocates for domestic violence victims here in Buncombe County are preparing for an increase in violence. Attorneys across the state are now preparing for increased caseloads, representing countless new domestic violence victims, with the possibility of dangerous results.

• If you insist on practicing willful ignorance, stay home.
  • If you just hate LGBT peoples, leave your hate at home, and show that you're better than you hate and that your intelligence (awareness of the harm to non-LGBT people) rules how you vote.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
Even The New York Times is weighing in on this.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
One of the original sponsors of the bill has changed his mind (the other is dead)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-01-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM

351 posts, read 550,557 times
My wife and I both will be voting "yes" for this.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
This will be my FIRST time voting in NC (registered R btw).
I'm pleased that I arrived just in time to help shut down this piece of ignorant and hateful nonsense.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
My wife and I will both be voting "No" on this. It's an indefensible amendment on all levels.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

26 posts, read 25,630 times
Strong emotions make bad law. I'm no Biblical scholar, but I researched "marriage" in the Bible via Bible websites. Nowhere does the Bible say that God's plan is for one man, one woman marriage. To the contrary, in the Old Testament, God is just fine with polygamy, not monogamy. If you want to defend marriage, make sure other people who live together can have their PRIVATE agreements and contract rights upheld in court. This Amendment gives judges discretion to invalidate the enforcement of those contracts when they go before a judge. As one church billboard puts it, "Bigotry wrapped in prayer is still bigotry." Vote AGAINST Amendment One!

Last edited by Jesusisnotpleased; 05-02-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or