Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM

26 posts, read 30,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
I'm a firm believer in traditional marriage. I'm against any type of recognition of homosexuals. I'm thankful that the majority of folks in NC feel the same way.
You are wrong! The majority of North Carolinians do NOT want to ban gay marriage. It's up to registered voters tomorrow to uphold the people's will, not the politicians'. Every vote matters, VOTE AGAINST tomorrow!

Poll: Most in N.C. oppose same-sex marriage amendment | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,631,394 times
Votes like this are terrible to see. That said, if Amendment One passes, here's hoping that progressive companies in NC focused on industries such as IT know that they can come to the West Coast and their employees will be treated with dignity. Move your companies West to places such as Seattle where we embrace the future and leave the old South behind.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,444,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
After this amendment passes, I call on all the Christians who supported it to now support amendments that makes divorce illegal, single parenting illegal, childless marriages illegal, etc. Why not use your convictions to address the things that are really "destroying" your religous views on marriage? The small minority of committed gay couples can't possibly do the damage to "traditional marriage" that these other things are already doing.
Why stop at just marriage, go full bore stupid christian Sharia laws.
  • Doing ANY work on the Sabbath - death by stoning
  • Cursing one's parents - death by stoning (brings new meaning to the term "my kid was stoned last night"
  • Disobeying one's parents. - yea, another "rock" party
  • Adultery - death by stoning for both parties
  • Blaspheming the name of the Lord. - yep, death by stoning

Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,349,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why stop at just marriage, go full bore stupid christian Sharia laws.
  • Doing ANY work on the Sabbath - death by stoning
  • Cursing one's parents - death by stoning (brings new meaning to the term "my kid was stoned last night"
  • Disobeying one's parents. - yea, another "rock" party
  • Adultery - death by stoning for both parties
  • Blaspheming the name of the Lord. - yep, death by stoning

Because that would be political suicide. Voter turn out will be way up than previous elections (probably since the one on the ban of interracial marriage which was just made legal in 70's). I feel sorry for the people thinking they are doing God's work by Voting for politicians.

Last month these same people were protesting condoms because Government shouldn't be involved. Now Government should be involved in the bedrooms and private relationships of unmarried couples.

Does this law also mean that Muslims, Atheist, Buddhist, etc. can't get married either? Is this law only for Holy Matrimony in the Lords name?

In the end, Gay people are still going to be gay. So, it's a lot of hoopla for nothing.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-07-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusisnotpleased View Post
You are wrong! The majority of North Carolinians do NOT want to ban gay marriage. It's up to registered voters tomorrow to uphold the people's will, not the politicians'. Every vote matters, VOTE AGAINST tomorrow!

Poll: Most in N.C. oppose same-sex marriage amendment | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
When did this recent poll come out?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
My main reason for voting against this Amendment One was b/c of the fact that as an African American, I felt insulted that the same Tea Party folks who are trying to come up with voter ID laws, which are really voter suppression laws to keep as many minorities, most of whom are black, from voting, while at the same time, they have the arrogance to expect black folks to support their cause! That doesn't fly with this black person!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM

112 posts, read 123,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
In the end, Gay people are still going to be gay. So, it's a lot of hoopla for nothing.
'zactly. It isn't going to stop them from having sex (which is the real issue here, right?) or raising children (the sky is falling!), so call it what it is: punishment for a lifestyle you don't approve of.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,444,060 times
I really hope that this amendment is defeated with numbers like the poll for this thread indicates (87% opposed at this point).

We can't stop people from hating, though education would go a long way toward that goal, but we MUST stop them from imposing their hate by enacting laws.

This amendment serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in North Carolina, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples, and will harm many others that are not gay/lesbian.

How many jobs will not come to this state because we will be seen as backwards think knuckle-dragging bible thumpers.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,631,394 times
Quote:
How many jobs will not come to this state because we will be seen as backwards think knuckle-dragging bible thumpers.
You're right. It's an economic issue too.

We in Washington State will happily drink NC's milkshake and send welcome letters to IT companies in the Triangle. Then you guys can focus all your time on "Man on Dog" laws.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Quote:
I really hope that this amendment is defeated with numbers like the poll for this thread indicates (87% opposed at this point).

We can't stop people from hating, though education would go a long way toward that goal, but we MUST stop them from imposing their hate by enacting laws.

This amendment serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in North Carolina, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples, and will harm many others that are not gay/lesbian.

I can't help but wonder how many unemployed straights in a domestic partnership will be voting yes.

Ya can't fix stupid.

By the way, I forgot to say, welcome to District 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina