Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM

164 posts, read 357,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusisnotpleased View Post
Oh yes. You can vote in either the Democratic or Republican primary OR you can skip the primaries and just ask for an "unaffiliated" ballot. The Constitutional Amendment is on all ballots for registered voters over 17 years of age. Please be sure to vote, every one counts! Thank YOU!

Thank you. I will certainly be voting NO.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 30,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Thank you. I will certainly be voting NO.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
So out of 80 voters here, 70 oppose. Obviously not a telling picture of what the results will be tomorrow but good to see nonetheless.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
So out of 80 voters here, 70 oppose. Obviously not a telling picture of what the results will be tomorrow but good to see nonetheless.
Thus the phrase "The silent majority".

Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I had planned to vote against the amendment anyway, but I was not aware of the potential harm to unmarried, straight relationships. This aspect deserves more publicity.
Yeh, if it only harmed same sex relationships it would be cool...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then there are those raised in the ignorance of fundy religions and are taught that thinking and questioning what they are told is a sin in its self, and are merely taught "what" to think.
Well it's more than that, as another poster has shown on the previous page when asked about decoupling his religious beliefs from his social beliefs. To them, there's no separation between religious ideology and government or society.

Incidentally this is exactly how fundamentalist Islam functions- religion and the state are one and the same.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
I'm a firm believer in traditional marriage. I'm against any type of recognition of homosexuals. I'm thankful that the majority of folks in NC feel the same way.
It's really amazing how somebody can be so proud to hate. And why be so against those who have the misfortune of being homosexual? Because if they are oppressed enough, they will just go away?

As far as believing in "traditional" marriage. If you truly a supporter of heterosexual marriage, then you should be against divorce, and laws that enable divorce to exist. Divorce is entirely against the bible, not to mention the amount of pain, and damage it causes the children. Divorce rates are so high because heterosexuals have treated marriage so frivolously.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your fine with your belief but there is no need for an amendment when gay's cannot get married in this state already.

The country had reached an ignoble milestone: more than half of births to American women under 30 happen outside marriage. I doubt that a significant fraction of those babies’ parents are gay men or lesbians forbidden to wed. No doubt the huge majority are straight people who haven’t bothered to.

Also estimate that between 40 and 50 percent of first marriages won’t last. And practice doesn’t make perfect: the divorce rate apparently rises for second and third unions.

Bottom-line gay marriage does not exist in this state, there is no need for amendment on what is already declared.
Our focus should be on the economy of this state. Vote against to let politicians know North Carolinians know what is important than some social issue of a redundant law.
One rationale for jusififying anti-gay attitudes is that same sex marriage does not lead to procreation. But people do not necessarily have sex because they want to procreate, but rather because they are aroused or are horny, to put it bluntly. You are trying to justify voting against this ammendment by specifying that it specifically hurts heterosexual couples, when in reality the ammendment itself is wrong; period. It feeds off the hysteria the anti-gay groups work to promote, by perpetuating missinformation about gay people in general, such as that legitimizing same sex relationships will promote homosexuality, which is absurd. A sexual orientation cannot be promoted. If you are straight, you will always be straight, and if one is gay, they are stuck being gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Children being raised by unmarried parents will lose health insurance coverage offered by municipalities that provide domestic partner benefits. The amendment will jeopardize other laws that recognize legal relationships between unmarried couples.

U.S. Census Bureau survey estimates that there are more than 198,000 households in North Carolina where partners are unmarried. More than 91 percent of those households are heterosexual couples living together.

I wish the Amendment title would describe everything it is against.
You seem to want to justify that the ammendment is wrong, only because it will hurt opposite sex relationships, even though they can get married.

Again, the hyperbole of the ammendment is evidenced in its redundancy of already having laws in place that prevent same sex marriage. Your focus should be that the ammendment is based on maintaining the hysteria that the radical right works to promote, by keeping homosexuals as oppressed as possible. Your position seems to be that you are more concerned about straight domestic partnerships rather than focusing on the more direct and oppressive discrimination same sex couples continue to endure.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM

26 posts, read 30,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
It's really amazing how somebody can be so proud to hate. And why be so against those who have the misfortune of being homosexual? Because if they are oppressed enough, they will just go away?

As far as believing in "traditional" marriage. If you truly a supporter of heterosexual marriage, then you should be against divorce, and laws that enable divorce to exist. Divorce is entirely against the bible, not to mention the amount of pain, and damage it causes the children. Divorce rates are so high because heterosexuals have treated marriage so frivolously.
Yes, I want to see the Republicans in NC's General Assembly pass a constitutional amendment bill to ban all divorce, since it, too, is against God's word. God whispered to me last night and told me so.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Sounds like it is all over but the shouting!

I wonder how many folks will move out of state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina