Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 AM

164 posts, read 357,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post

Now NC is viewed as yet another backwards Southern state.
Sad, but true. I thought NC was a bit more progressive. But to be honest, sometimes I see posts on this very board that make me cringe.

Often times posters will say things like "Stay out of our state" or "We don't need no Yankees livin' in our state" etc. Truth be told, many people in NC are still just that: Backwards Southerners.

I hope an educated, open minded NC is just one more generation away. This will happen with more transplants.

NOTE: For all of you that have children in the AG and HAG programs at your public schools. Here is an interesting project for you. Do an informal survey. You will be surprised that the majority of the children that qualify for these highly educated programs are NOT originally from the South. They either are transplants or have parents that transplanted.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,003,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Also, I can assure you, this was not strictly a "southern", political party, or even an evangelical Christian issue.
It was a combination of all three. If the black churches (most of an evangelical bent) hadn't broken with the Democrats on this, it would have had a hard time passing.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,864,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The following counties voted against:
  • Buncombe (Asheville)
  • Watauga (Boone and App State)
  • Mecklenburg (Charlotte)
  • Chatum (Pittsboro)
  • Wake (Raleigh and NC State)
  • Orange (Chapel Hill and UNC)
  • Durham (Durham)

I'm sure that when the results by precinct are analyzed that the city vs. county areas will show a huge variance, at least for Asheville/Buncombe.

The inference here is that only counties dominated by transplants and/or seats of higher education voted against. Sounds about right.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,882,195 times
In general and anedoctaly, from Facebook and the forums I frequent, people who are active online are overwhelmingly against the amendment

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM

787 posts, read 1,410,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Charlotte, Boone, Asheville, Raleigh, Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Chatham County all voted against. New Hanover County (Wilmington) was extremely close.

These are really the only places worth a darn in NC (aside from maybe Greensboro or Winston-Salem which surprised me as voting for). These are the places that are growing, where people are moving.

Remember that solidly blue California has a similar amendment. Unfortunately, one segment of the Democratic Party can't get past "OMG teh gay. that's nasty."
No, California does not have a similar amendment. This is NC amendment went way further than most other marriage equality bans because it bans any kind of legal recognition or licensure between any two adults besides a marriage license, which was already only obtainable between one man and one woman who are unrelated to each other.

California still has domestic partnerships, state employees still can obtain domestic partnership benefits for their domestically partnered spouses. Same sex couples can still adopt kids together, etc., etc. Prop 8 in CA rescinded the right to marry between same sex couples.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM

327 posts, read 599,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Forget my vacation dollars. And I'm sure I'll not be the only one.
I hear Fire Island is nice place to vacation.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Sad, but true. I thought NC was a bit more progressive. But to be honest, sometimes I see posts on this very board that make me cringe.

Often times posters will say things like "Stay out of our state" or "We don't need no Yankees livin' in our state" etc. Truth be told, many people in NC are still just that: Backwards Southerners.

I hope an educated, open minded NC is just one more generation away. This will happen with more transplants.

NOTE: For all of you that have children in the AG and HAG programs at your public schools. Here is an interesting project for you. Do an informal survey. You will be surprised that the majority of the children that qualify for these highly educated programs are NOT originally from the South. They either are transplants or have parents that transplanted.
While I (a native of NC) voted against this ridiculous amendment, I disagree with your assertion that the children of transplants are somehow more intelligent than the children of native citizens. Seriously? It's comments like that that get you negativity from the locals.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,998 times
this is not an issue i care too much about, but is anyone really surprised?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
In general and anedoctaly, from Facebook and the forums I frequent, people who are active online are overwhelmingly against the amendment
And people from the counties/metro areas that were against it are more likely to be regular Internet users.

And that has very little to do with transplants.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM

164 posts, read 357,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
While I (a native of NC) voted against this ridiculous amendment, I disagree with your assertion that the children of transplants are somehow more intelligent than the children of native citizens. Seriously? It's comments like that that get you negativity from the locals.
Then why are there more "outsiders" in the HAG programs? Please do the informal study. You will be surprised. My statement is 100% true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.