U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM

21,885 posts, read 27,151,555 times

Advertisements

I'm very disappointed. I knew that it would pass in my county, but not by the percentage that it did. It could not have passed here, with such a high percentage, without an overwhelming black vote for it.

As a female who is old enough to remember segregated want ads, being denied jobs because of my gender, etc., I can not fathom why older blacks & older females of any race, would vote for this.

It's like we used to say in the 60s & 70s, Karma is a b*tch.

I hope that someone files a lawsuit ASAP.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,192,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Poll judges had best be extremely nonpartisan and fair, no matter what they are registered! There shoudl be no "quotas" of which party they are registered in. And I happen to know a precinct judge in Durham county, no less--the Bluest county in the state, who is not just a Republican but a very conservative one. Still, he is unwaveringly fair and would not allow his own politics to influence a "call" at the polls. I certainly hoep every precinct judge, regardless of registration, would be vetted for the same! (If they really chose judges by party, all anyone would have to do is change their party registration which takes less than a minute).
Again, in Wake County, all Chief Judges are Democrat. And I agree with you, they should not be influenced by party affiliation.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,521,714 times
You people are incredible. Reading through this forum, you'd think Hitler was back from the dead and on the rampage in North Carolina.

Despite this media driven blitzkrieg, the gay marriage movement remains the minority.....a fact supported time and again at the polls through the democratic process that made this country great to begin with. In addition, I find it conveniently ironic that the faction who continually cry "inotolerance" to a proven majority of American citizens seem to be the same faction who are perpetually unaccepting of these completely fair and lawful election results.

Stop and consider, gay marriage proponents: There are millions of good people across America that simply do not subscribe to your lifestyle. They don't want their kids growing up thinking it's ok to marry a person of the same sex, because to them it is against the laws of nature, and yes.....against the teachings of their religious affiliations. Most of them do not bear you any ill will, they simply choose to resist your efforts based upon the above mentioned. They are certainly no more intolerant of you than you are of them, judging from the things I'm reading in here.

BTW, If gay people want to marry, there are currently 6 states, one district, and at least two Indian Nations in America where it is legal, not to mention Canada and most of Europe are gay paradises. If the rest of America is such a pit of backwardness to you, then I suggest you high tail it to one of those spots, pronto, so as to be free of the supposed oppression that has befallen you.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,992,399 times
This thread makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,271,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Stop and consider, gay marriage proponents: There are millions of good people across America that simply do not subscribe to your lifestyle. They don't want their kids growing up thinking it's ok to marry a person of the same sex, because to them it is against the laws of nature, and yes.....against the teachings of their religious affiliations. Most of them do not bear you any ill will, they simply choose to resist your efforts based upon the above mentioned. They are certainly no more intolerant of you than you are of them, judging from the things I'm reading in here.
If you bear no ill will toward gays, why are you attempting to limit their right to marry. It does no harm to you or to your family. The idea that it will somehow hurt your kids is a canard. Keep your religion in the church.

Tolerance does not extend to the intolerant. If people want to mount a campaign to hold a vote to strip people of rights that do no harm to anyone else, it is not intolerant to oppose them.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,734,522 times
Quote:
You people are incredible. Reading through this forum, you'd think Hitler was back from the dead and on the rampage in North Carolina.

Despite this media driven blitzkrieg, the gay marriage movement remains the minority.....a fact supported time and again at the polls through the democratic process that made this country great to begin with. In addition, I find it conveniently ironic that the faction who continually cry "inotolerance" to a proven majority of American citizens seem to be the same faction who are perpetually unaccepting of these completely fair and lawful election results.

BTW, If gay people want to marry, there are currently 6 states, one district, and at least two Indian Nations in America where it is legal, not to mention Canada and most of Europe are gay paradises. If the rest of America is such a pit of backwardness to you, then I suggest you high tail it to one of those spots, pronto, so as to be free of the supposed oppression that has befallen you.
With all due respect, this country was not made great by using the democratic process and our constitutions to limit civil rights from minority classes and those without power.

Regarding your assertion that gay people should hightail it to a place where gay marriage is legal is like asking others to move to a theocracy if they desire to shape all laws by their religious beliefs.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM

164 posts, read 312,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, it is true *in general*, folks who have relocated here for work are likely to be of the 'educated' camp, and in general, vote more progressively...
I agree

Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,041,660 times
i am not opposed to gay marriage nor would i have voted for the amendment, but i do find it refreshing to finally read another viewpoint amid all of the "kicking and screaming".

Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,897,384 times
Wow...a lot of haters calling it kicking and screaming because the majority got to vote on the rights of a minority. How is that ever right.

People like to say the democratic process is what makes us great, which is true in most instances... yet how long do you think it would have taken african americans to get their rights if it wasn't for the courts to get involved?

If the judges repeal this it is not because they're 'activists' it is because you can not write hate and inequality into your constitution. Yes christians, this is 'hate'...you contradicted yourselves...again...for like the quadtrillionth time.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM

9,407 posts, read 18,247,604 times
Quote:

What gives you the impression the gay lifestyle is something the gay community wants others to subscribe to? We don't go out and convert people. That's what religious folk do. You would probably say its a choice. How earth on earth would you know that unless you had walked in those shoes? You don't. Laws against nature? Those are just simply theocraticly imposed laws, which is in violation of the separation between church and state. A law the US still hasn't adapted to two centuries later. It's natural for me to be in love with my partner. You have no right to decide upon who I love and what is deemed right. It's as logical as somebody telling you whom to love. And furthermore if somebody grows up in NC and is close to their family (and many are) why should they make an exodus to somewhere else just because you said so? Nobody made you God or gave you the authority to do so.

And another thing there was already a gay marriage law on the books in NC. Marriage is a debate that is a worthy without having it be a closed ended discussion. This draconian law that was passed took it a step further to outright discrimination and doesn't even acknowledge any type of legal rights within a union of two people who are genuinely in love in terms of civil unions. If one of them were to come upon a serious illness or death, the most important companion in that persons life is completely cut off. Imagine that sort of thing happening to yourself. That's just downright cruel and it is ill will.

This is not a closed ended discussion and this issue will not be going away. Itís not your business nor is it anyone elseís to decide what kind of unions are appropriate for gays and lesbians in North Carolina. In a logical sense it doesn't affect or threaten your life, your marriage, or your family under any terms at all. Those who proclaim majority rules or label a relevant debate as whining are just not equipped to have a rational discussion regarding something they know very little about. They won't understand it simply because they willingly don't want to, rooted in fear and hatred. It doesn't make them bad people in the judgmental sense, but for them to vote in favor of a draconian law like this if they truly understood what it means is indeed an act of ill will. I won't even ask you to try to understand what its like to be gay, I just say mind your own business and focus on your own family.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-09-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or