U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,174,428 times

Advertisements

We need to be more focused on getting our economy back on track.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,179,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would like to vote for a ban on gay MARRIAGE. But as usual the numb-nuts have gone "a bridge to far" and put all domestic relationships in the amendment. I can understand preserving marriage as the historically accepted union between male and female, but that is about it. If same sex folks want to live in some sort of union, why should I care. And why should they be denied.

Like the ol' joke about the guy living next to the lesbian couple, "I wanna watch. And I don't mean no Rolex!"
Why do we need to make marriage a government tool? In its most basic essence, the only thing a marriage is, is a contract between two parties. The contract gives the two partners Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Christians can still receive a Marriage License as well from a church. So can any other religious ceremony. OR if you don't want a religious ceremony, you can go to the courthouse, like you can now, and receive the "marriage contract".

This also will make government smaller, which is always good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
We need to be more focused on getting our economy back on track.
One thing I don't get. No one, except for those certain groups were whining about this. WTF cares right now? We have better things to worry about.

When we start focusing in on social issues, it better be because we are fiscally safe, and military-fit, etc.

Sometimes I don't get people who are social conservatives only.....

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Why do we need to make marriage a government tool? In its most basic essence, the only thing a marriage is, is a contract between two parties. The contract gives the two partners Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Christians can still receive a Marriage License as well from a church. So can any other religious ceremony. OR if you don't want a religious ceremony, you can go to the courthouse, like you can now, and receive the "marriage contract".

This also will make government smaller, which is always good.....

One thing I don't get. No one, except for those certain groups were whining about this. WTF cares right now? We have better things to worry about.

When we start focusing in on social issues, it better be because we are fiscally safe, and military-fit, etc.

Sometimes I don't get people who are social conservatives only.....

Agreed-
social issues do not fix our state officials overspending, does not create an damn jobs, nor does it fix our pathetic school system. Me, I am voting agianst this foolish bill as soon as I walk into the precinct.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,179,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Agreed-
social issues do not fix our state officials overspending, does not create an damn jobs, nor does it fix our pathetic school system. Me, I am voting agianst this foolish bill as soon as I walk into the precinct.
Not only that, now we, the general public, and the politicians have to exert energy to vote against a stupid amendment. As opposed to having a discussion/debate on how to PROGRESS North Carolina.

First time in how many years there is a Republican majority in Raleigh. I wonder if it will last after November? Sure as hell didn't do anything positive or noteworthy.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Not only that, now we, the general public, and the politicians have to exert energy to vote against a stupid amendment. As opposed to having a discussion/debate on how to PROGRESS North Carolina.

First time in how many years there is a Republican majority in Raleigh. I wonder if it will last after November? Sure as hell didn't do anything positive or noteworthy.
I think it was the first time in more than a hundred years and this is what they do....It's no surprise to me given the the Republican party in the last decade.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Aren't we supposed to love thy neighbor?
Yes we are.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:

You are correct. Exert and "Divert" energy away from the Core problems our state has, is simply pathetic. Passing this stupid amendment solves absolutely nothing for the majority. It does not reverse the damage
that our elected officials have created to our state.

It's all flack.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,840,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
From Texas to Virginia, the South has spoken with almost one voice on same-sex marriage, amending state constitutions to ban the practice in hopes of blocking court decisions that would allow gays and lesbians to marry.

It's "almost" one voice because there's a discordant note in the Southern choir.

North Carolina, which likes to distinguish itself as a "vale of humility" surrounded by more bombastic neighbors, is the last state in the region without such an amendment.
I have always admired the fact that North Carolina isn't nearly as intellect-deprived as other southern states. I'd hate to think the only reason North Carolina was the lone southern holdout with a marriage amendment, was only because the state just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

No matter how much an individual is turned off by gay marriage, it is sheer gall to attempt to run other adult's private lives.

Marriage licenses have not always existed in this country. Historically, marriage license restrictions have often been enacted to deny rights to one minority or another, depending on who was out of favor at the time.

As long as you are not marrying a minor, there should be zero need for any governmental authority to issue a marriage license in the first place. We should not need permission from big government to dictate one of the most private decisions we will ever make.

The reason that these amendments are often overturned by judges, is because they fly in the face of personal liberty. They are unconstitutional.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM

183 posts, read 331,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
I'm a firm believer in traditional marriage. I'm against any type of recognition of homosexuals. I'm thankful that the majority of folks in NC feel the same way.
How fitting of a screen name. People like you are exactly why Southern states get the reputation of being ignorant and close minded. For the record, I know that there are tons of people who don't feel the same way.. but the stereotype is unfortunately there and people like this guy are why.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times
I wouldn't surprise me if this passes it gets overturned by the courts like Act 1 in Arkansas did. Banning gay marriage is one thing but this goes way farther than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or