Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,334,083 times

Advertisements

When you go in you will have to let them know which party you want to vote for. You will only be able to vote for one party.

To answer your question the amendment will be on any party ballot.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,501,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
When you go in you will have to let them know which party you want to vote for. You will only be able to vote for one party.

Thanks, Sunny. This is a terrible law. I saw a video on TV of a minister somewhere around Fayetteville advocating beating & abusing children & telling the people that they'd go to hell if they didn't vote for this awful ammendment.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM

26 posts, read 30,371 times
Wrong, netbrad! 1. Today, May 3, domestic partnership agreements are contracts and can be honored by a NC court. 2. Today, May 3, civil unions from other states are not outlawed in NC. 3. Today, May 3, "living together" contracts and health care advance directives are honored in NC, regardless if they are b/w straights, gays, bisexuals, transgendered or any combination thereof. After May 8, if Amendment One passes, a judge (and institutions deferring to state law) are authorized to invalidate, set aside, or ignore any and all of these. If they only wanted to protect marriage, the amendment would have said Marriage between one man and one woman is the only marriage NC will recognize. Simple. But that's not what the Amendment says. By stating that marriage is the only "domestic legal union" NC will recognize, #s 1-3 above are all up for obliteration in NC. This isn't just a gay issue, and it certainly isn't just about marriage.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a registered independant/unafiliated. I can't vote in the party elections, can I vote against this ammendment?
Yes. You can vote for a couple judges and AGAINST this stupid amendment. I cast my vote yesterday (as an unaffiliated voter)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

You don't have to specify a party. You can abstain from the primaries and just bit on unaffiliated issues.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,334,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Sunny. This is a terrible law. I saw a video on TV of a minister somewhere around Fayetteville advocating beating & abusing children & telling the people that they'd go to hell if they didn't vote for this awful amendment.
It is horrible, since it so volatile topic I posted about it P&OC forum the other day.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nts-crack.html

Here video and transcript of his sermon Video: Amendment 1 pastor gives parents 'special dispensation' to use violence against LGBT kids!!! - Good As You:: Gay and Lesbian Activism With a Sense of Humor
Some of congregation where even saying Amen to what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
You don't have to specify a party. You can abstain from the primaries and just bit on unaffiliated issues.
Thanks for clarification.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

475 posts, read 505,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You mean the LA that's in California, the state that already passed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage? Is that the LA you're talking about? *

* Note that I am completely opposed to NC's proposed amendment. It's just that I often feel compelled to point out comedy when I see it.
He isnt even gay. He just wants to get out from NC because is a backward state. We may not have gay marriage here but LA is a city that welcomes everybody, doesnt matter what they are or where they come from.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Sure you can! Unaffiliated voters have a choice of which ballot they will use, but each one contains the Constitutional Amendment regarding "domestic legal unions." Unaffiliated voters may vote in either the Republican or Democratic primary, or simply request an Unaffiliated ballot. You don't have to vote on everything in the ballot. Just look for the constitutional amendment question. Thank you for asking and caring about rejecting this awful piece of legislation. Every vote is crucial.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM

I disagree. The latest poll shows the lowest approval of this Amendment yet. With continued movement in that direction, we can defeat what one of its leading sponsors conceded was a "discriminatory" amendment that "goes too far." (Jim Crawford - D) The margin of error on the poll is plus/minus 3 percentage points. We can do this if people get out and vote AGAINST.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM

they are screwing with people's existing civil rights, their lives and the lives of their children. What's not to be angry about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina