Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Hi sb! I just came back from voting "against" in Union County. I selected an "Unaffiliated" ballot, where the way it's set up in Union County meant the only thing on the ballot was Amendment One. The voting location for my district was a church of all things. That irony wasn't lost on me. Given my political leanings, I thought the unaffiliated ballot was the most appropriate for me, since I tend to view the Democratic candidates vs. the Republican candidates as a choice between Tweedle Dumbs vs. Tweedle Dumbers!
LOL, I got myself around & will leave in a few, Emissary. LOL, I debated about getting a Republican ballot to vote against McHenry, but decided to do Democrat to vote for an opponent. My number one priority, besides voting against the amendment, is to vote him out. With Asheville added to my district, it's a possiblity. If we had an average representative, I'd go for unaffiliated.

I think that if McHenry wins the primary, a woman will bring votes against him in Gaston County in November.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM

314 posts, read 639,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Wow....

Voting for the amendment takes away the rights of a group of people because they are a minority. Voting against the amendment takes away no one's rights to anything. That is using logic, rational, independent thought to come to a decision. The person basing their decisions solely on a book of mythological fairy tales, instead of logic and rational thought, is the one on a "weak limb".

Come on dude, from day 1 Jesus was in favor of discriminating against minority groups and letting hate be your guide. I think we all remember the verse from Matthew 25:40, "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, make sure you did it with hate and bigotry in your heart because I hate them even more than you do" (well, it was something like that, I'm paraphrasing).

Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet but if this passes it will only be a result of widespread ignorance about what it does.

Quote:
In some sense North Carolinians are voting against their own beliefs. 53% of voters in the
state support either gay marriage or civil unions, yet a majority also support the
amendment that would ban both. The reason for that disconnect is even with just 24 hours
until election day only 46% of voters realize the proposal bans both gay marriage and
civil unions. Those informed voters oppose the amendment by a 61-37 margin but there
may not be enough time left to get the rest of the electorate up to speed.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ase_NC_506.pdf

I guess it's fitting that the hatred bill is only going to pass with the help of widespread ignorance.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Come on dude, from day 1 Jesus was in favor of discriminating against minority groups and letting hate be your guide. I think we all remember the verse from Matthew 25:40, "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, make sure you did it with hate and bigotry in your heart because I hate them even more than you do" (well, it was something like that, I'm paraphrasing).
"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10

You want to throw scripture in here, we can do it. I can give you more.

Although lets be serious enough to realize you probably don't care.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10

You want to throw scripture in here, we can do it. I can give you more.

Although lets be serious enough to realize you probably don't care.

Dude I'm agreeing with you, the bible is full of evidence where Jesus wants us to screw people over. It was like, the whole reason he came here in the first place. God was like "hey, the religious zealots running things now aren't judgemental enough, get down there and show them how it's done!"

Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Although a scripture-off would be a pretty good idea... nothing like cherry-picking quotes from a thousand+ page long book that's been rewritten and re-translated countless times to prove that your interpretation of the will of God is 100% accurate.

We should also touch on how God hates football (leviticus 11:8), haircuts (leviticus 19:27), shellfish (leviticus 11:10) and most of the clothing we wear (leviticus 19:19).

I can't wait until North Carolina drafts a bill to outlaw old school footballs and polyester, since that's obviously the next greatest threat America's salvation. Thanks, scripture!

EDIT: btw Ernest, serious question... have you ever eaten pork or shellfish?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
He's just going to say that all of that went out the window with the New Testament.

But wasn't the New Testament supposed to be a kindler, gentler testament?

WWJD?

(I think he'd vote no)

Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
He's just going to say that all of that went out the window with the New Testament.

But wasn't the New Testament supposed to be a kindler, gentler testament?

WWJD?

(I think he'd vote no)

No way, because then he'd be saying he doesn't believe in the 10 Commandments, and I gotta believe he's a big fan of the relevance of the Ten Commandments as guiding principles for one's life.

And fwiw, what you think jesus would do doesn't matter, what matters is how successful you are at forcing others to comply with what you think jesus would do. THATS what's important. We all know how much jesus hated free will and loved governments enforcing one group's religious beliefs on everyone else.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did you vote in district 10 or 11? I've heard both ways as to if the change would go into effect for the primary or in November.
I voted in the 10th. The change has to be in effect before the primaries.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
To the joy of the majority on this thread, I'm done here. Let's face it, no one here is going to change their mind by tonight. If anything, its just getting more and more heated.

By the end of this day, it will be mostly over with. I feel confident my side will win so I can leave it at that. Good night all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina