Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM

475 posts, read 507,757 times

Advertisements

How sad ! I dont want to offend anyone but this is NC, its the SOUTH people !!! What did you expect ?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Forget my vacation dollars. And I'm sure I'll not be the only one.
Assuming you're planning to vacation on the coast, the coastal areas of NC are major gay retirement destinations and have many gay-owned businesses. Dare county for example votes overwhelmingly conservative overall but the amendment just barely passed due to the large number of LGBT residents and their friends and family.

Non-specific boycotts just makes things worse for those who don't deserve it and drives already reactionary and bigoted people further into their collective delusions.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
How sad ! I dont want to offend anyone but this is NC, its the SOUTH people !!! What did you expect ?
To an outsider, I suppose it's because we always hear so much about your progressive universities and your Research Triangle and that you went Dem in the 08 election (although barely). All of those things give an impression that your state is more progressive than most other southern states. Kind of like the way the Californians see our Austin as the ONLY livable place in Texas. Of course, there are a whole lot of other less enlightened towns that dot the states that we live in. Maybe we'll have better luck in Maine & Minnesota?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
This is some bull----.

I read somewhere else the U.S. Supreme Court can overrule this, is that true?
That's eventually where this is all headed, but probably not for a long time.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
To an outsider, I suppose it's because we always hear so much about your progressive universities and your Research Triangle and that you went Dem in the 08 election (although barely). All of those things give an impression that your state is more progressive than most other southern states. Kind of like the way the Californians see our Austin as the ONLY livable place in Texas. Of course, there are a whole lot of other less enlightened towns that dot the states that we live in. Maybe we'll have better luck in Maine & Minnesota?
Charlotte, Boone, Asheville, Raleigh, Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Chatham County all voted against. New Hanover County (Wilmington) was extremely close.

These are really the only places worth a darn in NC (aside from maybe Greensboro or Winston-Salem which surprised me as voting for). These are the places that are growing, where people are moving.

Remember that solidly blue California has a similar amendment. Unfortunately, one segment of the Democratic Party can't get past "OMG teh gay. that's nasty."

Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I wouldn't say this a Southern thing considering North Carolina has become the 31st state to add an amendment on marriage to its constitution.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I wouldn't say this a Southern thing considering North Carolina has become the 31st state to add an amendment on marriage to its constitution.
Unfortunately, it looks that way to the rest of the country. Very few people outside of North Carolina know anything about the state's reputation for being more progressive than other southern states.

The comments on news articles announcing the passage of the amendment are "I hear dueling banjos" and stuff like that. I was watching TV when a guy announced it, and a lady on the show said "Did you know they allow cousins to marry in North Carolina?"

North Carolina is being bashed for being a backward state now.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLLVR View Post
Madison wrote of this in "Federalist No. 10" - he prophesied what would happen when the majority is allowed to vote on, as you put it, the fate of a minority, it will always be to deprive freedom from the minority.

When our court system, which is meant to be insulated from the passions of the populace, find no legal reason to deny a minority rights and thus grant them, they are lambasted as "activist judges" when in actuality they are simply doing what they are meant to do, ensure that all citizens are treated equally under the law.
Amen.

The minute I hear someone use the term "activist judge", I know they don't have the slightest concept of how our court system is supposed to work.

Nor do they have a grasp on the Bill of Rights.

You'll always see these people wearing red, white, and blue on the Fourth of July, waving flags and celebrating "freedom". But the Bill of Rights means nothing to them if it supports the civil rights of people they don't agree with.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
To be fair prop 8 had millions in tax-exempt Mormon bucks behind it. And it still got overturned, albeit with a stay on further marriages.
Polls show today there is no way it would pass. Its time to start taxing churches since they insist on being political lobbyists.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
The following counties voted against:
  • Buncombe (Asheville)
  • Watauga (Boone and App State)
  • Mecklenburg (Charlotte)
  • Chatum (Pittsboro)
  • Wake (Raleigh and NC State)
  • Orange (Chapel Hill and UNC)
  • Durham (Durham)

I'm sure that when the results by precinct are analyzed that the city vs. county areas will show a huge variance, at least for Asheville/Buncombe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina