Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM

127 posts, read 309,323 times

Advertisements

So I just moved to NC. I am in the process of car-shopping. I have asked DMV, insurance agent and car dealer the proper order of things and I have gotten many different answers but I think it comes down to this

1. Purchase car
2. Get insurance (friend of dealer/insurance agent will begin paperwork immediately) in order to get license
3. Show proof of insurance at license office so I can get license (temporary)
4. Return to dealer with temporary license to complete the transaction and get tags/registration etc.

This requires lots of back and forth but is doable in a day, granted I pass the test that day. Am I getting this right and is this the most efficient way to go about this deal? Alternately I could get the non-owner's license but I in all honesty am driving a family members vehicle meanwhile, not a fleet-vehicle as is permissable with the non-owner's license.

If it matters I am in DMV records because I lived here 10 years ago, but I've been told I'm virtually "erased" because I have been licensed in another state since.

Would the process be any simpler if I bought from a private owner? Any and all help appreciated much because I am totally flustered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
Would the process be any simpler if I bought from a private owner?
Any and all help appreciated much because I am totally flustered!
Probably not.
In my own personal experience (of one year ago) I bought a used car at a dealer (Modern in WS)
who did everything for me. At other dealers I was looking to buy from... their staff were as completely perplexed as the folks you seem to be talking to.

Yes, I had to get a NC insurance policy so they could have a binder number
but otherwise all they had was the address that I *asserted* to be where I was moving.
No NC license or proof. In fact I didn't get the NC license until February of this year.

hth

Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM

127 posts, read 309,323 times
Interesting! I wonder how???? Perhaps I should head over to that dealership. I am thinking that I just won't know until I make the buy, but wanted to hear what other carless new arrivals encountered upon moving. Thanks

Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,622 times
We ran into a similar problem today, which is why I'm searching the threads for help! We went to purchase a car, when the salesman told us that we HAD to have a NC license to purchase a vehicle. Ok...and then he said we can't use the temporary one that they give you, it has to be the real deal we get in the mail in about 2 weeks. What the heck? Side note: can we get our NC licenses in a county other than the one we live in?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I can understand a car salesman in this state requiring NC license for securing the purchase to NC resident.

You can go to any county DMV for tags or license. Be sure to take DL 123 form from insurance and other required documents the dmv need.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,311 times
Ok, I'm miffed here. Are you saying that you cannot purchase a car in NC without a NC drivers lisence?
What about all the people a couple of miles across the border in SC?
I would assume you could purchase the car on your out of state lisence, and put it on what ever policy you have and work out the details later. Tag and taxes will be handled by the dealership.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Ok, I'm miffed here. Are you saying that you cannot purchase a car in NC without a NC drivers lisence?
What about all the people a couple of miles across the border in SC?
I would assume you could purchase the car on your out of state lisence, and put it on what ever policy you have and work out the details later. Tag and taxes will be handled by the dealership.
Out-of-state residents can buy in NC and register the vehicle in their home state.

Part-time residents (such as the snowbirds) can buy in NC and register in NC if the vehicle is garaged here for a minimum of 6 months each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina