U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 648 times
Default Checking out NC soon. questions....

OK. Life long Ohio resident (located near Fort Wayne Indiana). I'm sick of the grey skies, ugliness and boredom of the midwest. I'm mid 30s & I have a 7 year old son I have shared custody of with my ex wife. So obviously those things need worked out first along with a job. I'm currently attending school and working in a manufacturing environment which I hate but pays the bills for now. I'd also need to find a school for me that would allow me to continue my Information Systems degree.

This coming week I'll be staying with friends outside Wilmington NC so that I can check out the areas of Wilmington, Asheville, Charlotte & Raleigh. I want to see the cities but also want to see the suburbs of the areas as that's probably where I'll want to live with my son. Areas with parks and running/biking trails would be great, also safe neighborhoods and schools.

With all that said, what areas should I check out while down in NC?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,571,913 times
The areas that would possibly be hiring people with Information Systems degrees. Really no need looking at a place that will not have any job prospects.

Unread 04-22-2012, 06:31 AM

16,032 posts, read 16,370,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds650 View Post
This coming week I'll be staying with friends outside Wilmington NC so that I can check out the areas of Wilmington, Asheville, Charlotte & Raleigh.
Wilmington is more than 300 rather boring I-40 miles to Asheville.
And you left Greensboro and Winston off your list...

Quote:
With all that said, what areas should I check out while down in NC?
With all that said... I'll say none of them.

Or at least none until you FIRST have some real work prospects sorted out.
THEN, and based on THAT you can look around where those jobs are located.

When you do get more serious about looking for a good job... the "cut to the chase" info
is that after the dust settles and if you're lucky enough to find a job you'll end up somewhere
in the center of the state and not to far from I-40 (Raleigh to Winston is about 100 miles)

...unless the job is in Charlotte but that is really part of the (Greenville/Spartanburg)
SOUTH Carolina job market (another 100 mile stretch of road)

hth

Unread 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
LLN

3,126 posts, read 3,502,114 times
As I have posted a million times, NC has 100 counties. It is so much more than Raleigh, Charlotte and Ashville and Wilmington.

Use the internet, look for jobs, look for jobs in smaller areas, say within 45 minutes or larger, more metro areas.

If I had to pick one larger city to move to, it would be Winston Salem...and did not even make your list.

I expect if you go to Wilmington, on coast, you wil have difficult time checking out other cities. North Caorlina is L O N G. The drives on interstates, though most efficient, are B O R I N G. You would be better off, to make three or four trips. Check out coast, piedmont, and then mountains. If you are serious.

There is SO MUCH infor on the internet. Use it. Good Luck.

Unread 04-23-2012, 05:59 AM

3,114 posts, read 3,061,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds650 View Post
OK. Life long Ohio resident (located near Fort Wayne Indiana). I'm sick of the grey skies, ugliness and boredom of the midwest. I'm mid 30s & I have a 7 year old son I have shared custody of with my ex wife.

Thanks
You said you'd work these things out first. I guess that means you'll be moving in about 11 years, so you have plenty of time to plan.

Seriously, put the kid first and deal with life where you are.

Unread 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

5,265 posts, read 9,483,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You said you'd work these things out first. I guess that means you'll be moving in about 11 years, so you have plenty of time to plan.

Seriously, put the kid first and deal with life where you are.
Agreed...your son should be your priority. Unless you think that your ex-wife will also be willing to relocate, away from her family and support system, to a new state where she knows nobody just because you want to escape Ohio. That seems unlikely. NC is a very diverse state with a wide variety of cities and towns that could be nice places to live, and someday maybe it will be pertinent for you to move to one of them. But from one dad to another, it'll be much easier to live the lifestyle you want down in NC after your son is grown than it will be to get those 11 years back that you spend living several hundred miles away from him.

Unread 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM

66 posts, read 79,310 times
NC is a very diverse state. I would def try and find a job before moving down here and also to second everyone... driving from wilmington to asheville is a LONG drive. I thought driving from raleigh to Boone was long but that drive would just be killer! Here are some things I would point out if you dont already know them.

Wilmington -
its your typical beach city. Very touristy. It is home to UNC Wilmington. UNC Wilmington has a stereotype for attracting preps and beach bums which is to be expected so I assume the atmosphere of the college goes along with it. The city is big enough you might find a job idk. I think there are also some community colleges around. Your friend probably knows a lot more about it than me though. I have never lived there.

Asheville -
Asheville is considered "the portland of the east coast". It is also very touristy being in the mountains. Most of the tourists are from florida and georgia to escape the hot summers. The town is known as being very liberal and very much a hippy town. It is said to be ranked #2 in the US for local breweries (#1 is portland). The town is the smallest on your list and idk how many IS jobs there are. The town has UNC Asheville which is def a hippy college. Appalachian state (located in boone, also in the mountains, just graduated from there) is also a hippy college but its more of the affluent wannabe hippy type. UNC Asheville has more of the down to earth hippies it seems like. I have visited the areas of Black Mountain and Montreat (there is a presbyterian college there) which I believe are suburbs to the east of asheville and they are nice areas. I LOVE the mountains so I would def recommend there. The mountains of NC are very outdoor friendly. Tons of hiking but was surprised on how few mountain biking trails there were at least in the boone area there were ZERO. I think I remember the same being for asheville but idk, never lived there. There are a number of Ski resorts in NC too. One near Asheville and the rest near boone (a 2 hour drive). The Ski resorts in my opinion are horrible but they get the job done when you wanna ski just for the afternoon or something. I have never been to the Ski resort next to Asheville so idk much about it but I assume its not any better than the ones in boone or else people would of gone there a lot. Asheville also has a very vibrant local music scene.

Charlotte -
Charlotte is definitely the biggest city in NC and has that vibe. I will say that all cities in NC dont really feel like a big city like NYC or Atlanta will but Charlotte is the closest thing to that. Charlotte is also in my opinion more southern in culture compared to Raleigh. Charlotte is home to UNC Charlotte and is a pretty descent school and does a lot with engineering so I am sure they have something in IS. One thing my brother has noticed as a difference between raleigh and charlotte (he goes to UNC Charlotte), is when people go downtown for a night of fun, they just seem to spends hundreds of dollars. In Raleigh there is not as much of that. Now I will let you know there is a pretty big rivalry between Raleigh and Charlotte. In general people will say charlotte is better for young single people and Raleigh is better for families but it all depends on where you live in those cities. People can spend hours arguing about this so I would not even listen to it and go off personal experiences of each place. I have had a couple of friends from the Huntersville area (suburb north of Charlotte) and they love it. Its near Lake Norman were you can get a lake house! I have not spent much time there but have not heard a bad thing about it.

The Triangle (raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) -
I live in Cary which is a suburb of Raleigh so I know more about this area. Raleigh to me seems more like an overgrown suburb than an actual city. We are known for being one of the smartest metros in the US. I think Cary has the biggest percentage of PhD people compared to cities of its size. Cary used to also be one of the safest cities in the US. The Cary-Apex area is an affluent suburb of Raleigh and is know for its snobby rich people. With that said I love cary and as with all cities and towns I have talked about, im sure most do not live up to the stereotype. Downtown raleigh is pretty small. I find the triangle as being more liberal than Charlotte and is not as traditionally southern. If you want more of a hippy vibe I would check out Chapel Hill. The raleigh area is also the fastest growing metro area in the US so things can change quickly around here. All of north Carolina is actually growing like weeds so no matter where you land you will notice it. At least in cary it seems like once something gets to be 10 years old they tear it down and build something else. In the triangle, there are 3 main universities, NCSU, UNC Chapel Hill, and Duke. I would say these three universities (with the exception of some others) are the most prestigious in NC and are harder to get into because of it. NCSU (located in Raleigh) is geared towards Engineering so it might be better for IS. UNC is more geared towards liberal arts degrees but still does do science stuff. Duke (located in Durham) is a private university up there with harvard and the likes and I assume you would not be interested in going there (I personally dont see why people pay that much money but just my opinion). There are also a number of smaller colleges: St. Augustines, Shaw, NCCU, Meredith (all girls), Peace (used to be all girls until last year or something), etc. Durham stereotypically has more crime and people a lot of people who do not live in Durham will tell you that. I have never lived in Durham but will say that it all depends on the area. There are nice areas and there are not so nice areas so dont rule it out completely because people tell horror stories about the crime.

The place you end up choosing should definitely be based on where you get a job. I dont now how much you have left in finishing your degree or what not and dont know how important the specific college is to you or if the prestigiousness of the college matters or whatever. I know tis was kind of a long answer and kinda scratches the surface and may contain a lot of info you do not need / already know. More details would be appreciated to give more detail like the importance of the school you are looking to go to and what not. I know when my parent moved here from ohio in 1989 (they were getting out of the military and I was 1 year old) they decided on Wake county (raleigh and cary) because at the time Wake had the best school system and better colleges/universities. Also, Cary has been ranked as one of the best places to live in america. Since then I think there are numerous counties with exceptional school systems. That was just their personal choice and I am not trying to sway you to Cary or anything. Just going off what I know. One thing to note is North Carolina school systems are done on a county wide basis so every county has only one school system.

Last edited by redhawk87; 04-24-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina