U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM

164 posts, read 202,915 times

Advertisements

Interesting study:

Commentary: Which Came First, Poor Service or Bad Tipping? | News | BET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM

3,271 posts, read 931,248 times
I wonder if the researchers controlled for religious affiliation. Bible thumpers are the worst tippers bar none.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,656,410 times
What I want to know is Who the heck pays for this stuff? Is this why college tuition fees have skyrocketed, along with taxpayer supported student loans?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM

5,007 posts, read 2,977,526 times
jkgourmet I couldn't agree with your statement more--what a waste of time and money.

An interesting thing happened this past Sunday when we were in a Sports Bar Restaurant in Greenville. It was pouring rain and a table of 6 were dressed to the nines in Designer clothes, shoes & bags. Our server told us (who we know personally) that their bill was over $400 & they tried to pay with Wic cards & Food Stamps. When told that they could not they took out a stack of $100 bills, paid & did not leave a tip.

My rule of thumb for tips is %20 for servers, hair dressers, etc. for good service.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:18 PM

232 posts, read 223,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
jkgourmet I couldn't agree with your statement more--what a waste of time and money.

An interesting thing happened this past Sunday when we were in a Sports Bar Restaurant in Greenville. It was pouring rain and a table of 6 were dressed to the nines in Designer clothes, shoes & bags. Our server told us (who we know personally) that their bill was over $400 & they tried to pay with Wic cards & Food Stamps. When told that they could not they took out a stack of $100 bills, paid & did not leave a tip.

My rule of thumb for tips is %20 for servers, hair dressers, etc. for good service.
wow that just makes me angry. even as a college student, I tip very well

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM

602 posts, read 879,816 times
Default Dosen't matter ...

"Let ye who is without sin..."

My pops was a dining car waiter on the Southern Pacific Rail Road.
He worked during a time where he had to endure all kinds of insults.

But his rule of thumb was:
"If you're going to eat out, then be prepared to tip -- no matter what."

Just because someone is having a bad day doesn't mean that they suddenly are in control of my ethics and values.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,190,493 times
Many years ago and during my few years as a Bartender/Student at a high profile Hotel in Charlotte, the only black persons that left me a tip was the Four Seasons Band. Otherwise, the other 99.9% Nothing. I never refused or shown behaviors any different whether I served a white, black or other race.

I still see and witness how the lack of giving a "decent tip" (more than a dollar) continues with the black race. It's a shame as it seems they can't recognize the fact that servers are working for tips.
It riles me to the infinite degree when I see a server busting arse running all over the placce to make sure the customer is getting everything and then some - to get stiffed in the end.

Today, I tip 20-50% depending on service - regardless of race. Yes, I will terminate the server if
I feel I am not getting served correctly. I will ask for a manager and request a different table or a server.

Conducting a servey in college seems like wasting time & money over something that is factual.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,190,493 times
Here's a fantastic video from a waiter that got pissed over what some females did in a restaurant.
R rated
Re: This Is Why You Better Tip Your Waiter, *****! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina