U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

545 posts, read 459,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I am a NC native, and am told by non-North Carolinians that I lack an accent or sound like someone from the Midwest.
Same here. Born and raised in NC (grew up in Salisbury) and I have been asked if I was from Ohio! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM

4,157 posts, read 2,781,610 times
This thread is bogus. Nothing happened to the southern accent in NC. While you certainly will find natives from urban and rural areas like with a Mid-Atlantic type accent, they are NOT the majority, and anyone who says otherwise are lying like hell. The MAJORITY of North Carolinians have an NC southern accent, which is different from the surrounding states. SC has a raw, thorough Southern accent, and Tennessee's is thicker. But the Mountains and the Coast have the most common of southern accents. Charlotte people are very southern. The Triad and Triangle regions (Central NC) seem to have the highest concentration of a non-Southern accent there, but that is still a minority of the population. Anybody who's spent extensive time out and about anywhere in NC, be it rural or urban, will back up what I'm saying...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM

102 posts, read 279,503 times
I live about 40 minutes west of Charlotte on the NC/SC border, and the southern accent is still alive and well here.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 AM

21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRNStudent View Post
I live about 40 minutes west of Charlotte on the NC/SC border, and the southern accent is still alive and well here.
You don't live far from me. I've found 4 distinct native accents in my town. One is the same mild accent that is in Charlotte & Gastonia. There is also an accent with the beginning of the mountain twang, in elderly whites a very mild more traditionally southern accent, while elderly blacks have the same accent that is spoken in Philadelphia, by blacks who trace back to NC.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM

40 posts, read 71,273 times
I think it's quite possible that many of the folks you have come in contact with are move-ins from up north.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,204,862 times
Interesting thread. I speak fluent "country", but like Francois I come and go depending on who I'm talking to. We always said, "she has a real country accent" to differentiate from that Charleston kinda sound.

I think really what has changed the accent is not necessarily picking up other accents from TV or northern neighbors, but from trying to distance ourselves from a bumbling "dumb hick" stereotype that was played up on TV. Y'know, the fat bumbling racist sheriff in all those movies, or the Beverly Hillbillies, or Green Acres, etc, etc. As kids in the golden age of network TV in the 60s and 70s we didn't want to be cast as "dumb hicks" so we practiced our Dan Rather and Peter Jennings and Walter Cronkites; our Diane Sawyers (maybe not our Barbara Walters), our Donny and Maries.

Also, we had some of that rebellious teenagers stuff going on and really did not want to sound like Southern Church Ladies (or gentlemen). We wanted to distance ourselves from that "propah" sound and be cool, so I think the "generation gap" played a part, too.

On the Hoi Toiders, the Lumbee Indians also have that "oi" sound. We called that the Tidewater accent when you said "hoose" instead of "howse" for house. I think the Lumbees do that too and of course it goes all the way up to Canada.

In SE NC you used to hear people say "carry" as in "Can you carry me to the store. I need to get some milk", meaning give me a ride in your car. Also, folks said "low" to mean short. "Aunt Beulah takes after Mama's side of the family. They're all "low" like that." Land sakes alive, there's lots more of that stuff, too.

Anyway, I'm in the triangle, but I still hear plenty of "country" accents among young people. Not as many Charleston/Church Lady accents, but I do still hear them in older folks.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,638 times
Lumberton, Fayetteville, Wilmington and the NC/SC state line between Calabash and Little River SC still has alot of the southern accent left. Small towns like Longwood, Ash, Waccamaw and the areas surrounding those places have a serious southern accent and is where most of the farming happens which means most farms are handed down for generations and I think the the accent gets handed down with the farm....Ha Ha..... mostly the accent sticks cause the family is born and raised on the farm.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,638 times
Lumberton, Fayetteville, Wilmington and the NC/SC state line between Calabash and Little River SC still has alot of the southern accent left. Small towns like Longwood, Ash, Waccamaw and the areas surrounding those places have a serious southern accent and is where most of the farming happens which means most farms are handed down for generations and I think the the accent gets handed down with the farm....Ha Ha..... mostly the accent sticks cause the family is born and raised on the farm and the land and homes in the small towns can be very cheap.... We are also located only 20-30 minutes (depending on the area) from 3 local beaches which is why we are getting alot of people moving to this area to get away from the city.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM

202 posts, read 299,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwollff View Post
Lumberton, Fayetteville, Wilmington and the NC/SC state line between Calabash and Little River SC still has alot of the southern accent left. Small towns like Longwood, Ash, Waccamaw and the areas surrounding those places have a serious southern accent and is where most of the farming happens which means most farms are handed down for generations and I think the the accent gets handed down with the farm....Ha Ha..... mostly the accent sticks cause the family is born and raised on the farm and the land and homes in the small towns can be very cheap.... We are also located only 20-30 minutes (depending on the area) from 3 local beaches which is why we are getting alot of people moving to this area to get away from the city.
Agreed. Southeastern NC has plenty of thick, southern accents. Visit the counties of Duplin, Pender, Sampson, Wayne, Bladen, etc. and you'll hear plenty of great accents and meet plenty of friendly people.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM

16 posts, read 19,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
I think it's quite possible that many of the folks you have come in contact with are move-ins from up north.
yeah I agree with you , WTH is goin' on? NC accent is southern; sounds nothing like a person from Philly unless they are native to somewhere in the south and have moved up there. I have never heard none of the sort until the past 10 some odd years when all the transplants arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina