U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times

Advertisements

Where did the Southern accent come from? Since the original settlers were from Europe being mostly Scottish and Irish I doubt they sounded like Andy Griffith.
Could it be that the Southern plantation owners who had " hired help" raising their children and "hired help" working in the fields that all came from Africa that those children all learned their accents from being around the "help" who were also trying to learn how to speak English.
Those people who grew up in the North never had the African language influence their way of speaking so their accent is more natural to the original settlers than the Southern accent. What you have up North is a lot of early 20th century immigrants from Italy, Germany, Poland that has influenced their language.
Those Southerners from Louisiana have the French influence in their accents.

Like an earlier poster said you adapt the accent of those who you live and work around.
If your proud of your adopted accent, thank your ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

202 posts, read 300,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Where did the Southern accent come from? Since the original settlers were from Europe being mostly Scottish and Irish I doubt they sounded like Andy Griffith.
Could it be that the Southern plantation owners who had " hired help" raising their children and "hired help" working in the fields that all came from Africa that those children all learned their accents from being around the "help" who were also trying to learn how to speak English.
Those people who grew up in the North never had the African language influence their way of speaking so their accent is more natural to the original settlers than the Southern accent. What you have up North is a lot of early 20th century immigrants from Italy, Germany, Poland that has influenced their language.
Those Southerners from Louisiana have the French influence in their accents.

Like an earlier poster said you adapt the accent of those who you live and work around.
If your proud of your adopted accent, thank your ancestors.
Nice try, but there were slaves in the North, too. Also, the planter class represented a very, very small percentage of the overall population of the antebellum South.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,786,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a northerner living in eastern NC and the southern accent here is really strong. My child goes to daycare with an older woman who's accent sounds like caramel dripping out of her mouth. Long story short, my child has a southern accent.
Well tell your child not to be braggin too much about it to his friends,,No one likes a bragger you know

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Nice try, but there were slaves in the North, too. Also, the planter class represented a very, very small percentage of the overall population of the antebellum South.
Nice try for what? You learn your accents from those around you, it's as simple as that.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,422,969 times
Quote:
Nice try for what? You learn your accents from those around you, it's as simple as that.
In fact it is the Scottish influence, not African, that is most responsible for most of the phonemes that distinguish the Southern dialect.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In fact it is the Scottish influence, not African, that is most responsible for most of the phonemes that distinguish the Southern dialect.
If you say so, but I'm not hearing any Scottish accents from my neighbors down here. What I do hear is the white guy with the same accent as the black guy.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM

10,686 posts, read 11,307,496 times
Well there are different accents in the South, but it's pretty well documented that the Southern accents stem from the English, Scottish and Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) who emigrated to this region. That's why you can currently hear both Southerners and British using similar words and phrases like "reckon".

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Southern | PBS
Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well there are different accents in the South, but it's pretty well documented that the Southern accents stem from the English, Scottish and Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) who emigrated to this region. That's why you can currently hear both Southerners and British using similar words and phrases like "reckon".

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Southern | PBS
Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe those Scotch/ Irish like my ancesters who settled in NY came from Northern Ireland and those Scotch/ Irish who settled in Virginia came from Southern Ireland, thus the Southern accent.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM

10,686 posts, read 11,307,496 times
Scotch-Irish or Ulster-Scots refers to the Scottish people the British government sent to the Ulster region of Scotland in the 17th C to confiscate Catholic lands and settle the region with Protestants. Irish are different folk and a different accent.

NC has far fewer people of Irish descent. In fact, I have read that there are more people of Scottish descent in NC than anywhere in the world including Scotland.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM

21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Quote:
Maybe those Scotch/ Irish like my ancesters who settled in NY came from Northern Ireland and those Scotch/ Irish who settled in Virginia came from Southern Ireland, thus the Southern accent.
Nah, The Scotch-Irish were all the same, sort of. The majority of them entered the port of Philadelphia & a lot of them ended up in the Piedmont of NC, within a generation or two, thus the strong ties between the accents in Fluffya & Balmer with the Piedmont. There are weakened accents in both areas where it is difficult to discern a difference. In my opinion, they are merging. Many of the Highland Scots ended up in the mountains, along with Scotch-Irish & Germans.

Studying 18th century settlements & migrations goes a long way to explaining the base of regional accents on the east coast, which then underwent changes in the 19th & 20th centuries for the same reasons. The non-rhotic thing happened in the 19th century, on the east coast, except in Philadelphia & Baltimore. They held onto most of their Rs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina