U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Scotch-Irish or Ulster-Scots refers to the Scottish people the British government sent to the Ulster region of Scotland in the 17th C to confiscate Catholic lands and settle the region with Protestants. Irish are different folk and a different accent.

NC has far fewer people of Irish descent. In fact, I have read that there are more people of Scottish descent in NC than anywhere in the world including Scotland.
Most of the Scots who went to Ulster Province were lowland Scots. Highlanders were banned, but some got there anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM

451 posts, read 1,387,782 times
My father's ancestors were Ulster Scots from the northern region of Scotland while my husbands ancestors came from southern Ireland, County Cork, and have been in the highland region of NC, since the early 1700's and many of these same folks descendants fought in the Revolutionary war. There were Germans that started to settle in these mountains as well but I think came later. I have been told that the term, Scotch-Irish, was maintained because they were proud of their Scottish heritage. You would not believe the difference in accents in this part of the country. The people in the Piedmont, the foothills, and the folks on the coast, have completely different accents, more like S.C. low country. The accents are all beautiful to me. Just across the Tenn. line, the accents are different as well.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 AM

1,092 posts, read 627,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy38 View Post
I grew up in North Carolina and moved to new york for a job about 20 years ago and now I am back looking for home near Cary or Apex and everyone has a northern accent some worse then parts of New York. Then I thought maybe its only in the city so we went to the rural town of Pittsboro and everyone had a northern accent. I have only been gone for 20 years and the southern way of life is gone. Thats the reason I came back to North Carolina was for the southern way life I grew up in.

Blind post:
I think it just depends on where you go. I do agree that in the area you're talking that it's started to sound northern but the more west you go it gets more southern. Up in the NC mountains it's regular southern people.

I think though that people in general are loosing their accent. It's rare I come across someone and think to myself "wow that's a thick accent", which use to be all the time now is just once in a blue moon.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM

10,677 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
My father's ancestors were Ulster Scots from the northern region of Scotland while my husbands ancestors came from southern Ireland, County Cork, and have been in the highland region of NC, since the early 1700's and many of these same folks descendants fought in the Revolutionary war. There were Germans that started to settle in these mountains as well but I think came later. I have been told that the term, Scotch-Irish, was maintained because they were proud of their Scottish heritage. You would not believe the difference in accents in this part of the country. The people in the Piedmont, the foothills, and the folks on the coast, have completely different accents, more like S.C. low country. The accents are all beautiful to me. Just across the Tenn. line, the accents are different as well.
Hey Catbirds, my mountain relatives (Mom's side) are of Scotch-Irish and German and English descent. My Dad's side of the family is Scottish and English. Both sides of the family have been in NC and SW Va since pre-revolutionary days. I think the German strain came over in the 1800s.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,387,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Hey Catbirds, my mountain relatives (Mom's side) are of Scotch-Irish and German and English descent. My Dad's side of the family is Scottish and English. Both sides of the family have been in NC and SW Va since pre-revolutionary days. I think the German strain came over in the 1800s.
we need to drink some sweet tea this summer and chat. I love the history stories

Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,048 times
It's not gone anywhere here in my house!
And the reason your not finding it is because those you came across undoubtedly were not true North Carolinians or Southern. They were most likely one of the many many many Northern/Yankees who come to NC then complain about it! I don't get it? If you love "They way we do it up North" then why the hello did you move down South? If you love it so much then stay North! If you love the change then come join us! not move here and try to change us!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,904 times
[quote=andrew_s;24046660]Never heard southern accents in NJ, must have been transplants. As for deleware seems to be the southern half, but I dont spend much time in northern deleware. We raised our children in Southern, NJ, where all the Locals had deep Southern accents. West Creek (krik not Creek), Tuckerton. Heck, they even had their own designated bar stools. Home of the "Jersey Devil" & the Jersey Pinelands. There is a distinction between Southern & Northern NJ--(they are still fighting the War too & back in the 70's So. NJ tried to succeed from the State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylime5 View Post
It's not gone anywhere here in my house!
And the reason your not finding it is because those you came across undoubtedly were not true North Carolinians or Southern. They were most likely one of the many many many Northern/Yankees who come to NC then complain about it! I don't get it? If you love "They way we do it up North" then why the hello did you move down South? If you love it so much then stay North! If you love the change then come join us! not move here and try to change us!
Great post! I could not have said it better. We moved down to E. NC after 911, when people from No. NJ, NY and Philly started invading So. NJ & the first thing they would say is "you don't have Pizza like we have up North". That is when we moved for the quality of life we have down here.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM

[quote=kelsie;29029491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Never heard southern accents in NJ, must have been transplants. As for deleware seems to be the southern half, but I dont spend much time in northern deleware. We raised our children in Southern, NJ, where all the Locals had deep Southern accents. West Creek (krik not Creek), Tuckerton. Heck, they even had their own designated bar stools. Home of the "Jersey Devil" & the Jersey Pinelands. There is a distinction between Southern & Northern NJ--(they are still fighting the War too & back in the 70's So. NJ tried to succeed from the State.

Great post! I could not have said it better. We moved down to E. NC after 911, when people from No. NJ, NY and Philly started invading So. NJ & the first thing they would say is "you don't have Pizza like we have up North". That is when we moved for the quality of life we have down here.
Hey Kelsie, we tried to secede from the state in 1980.

The South Jersey accent along with Philly, Delaware, & down to & including Baltimore are variants of an accent that is within the southern relm of accents, but people in some areas of Delaware & in Deep South Jersey (near Delaware Bay) have true southern accents.)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM

3,114 posts, read 4,144,898 times

Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM

William Labov at U of P is considered to be the authority. Here's a link to one of his maps. South Regional Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina