U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,854 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North Carolina and moved to new york for a job about 20 years ago and now I am back looking for home near Cary or Apex and everyone has a northern accent some worse then parts of New York. Then I thought maybe its only in the city so we went to the rural town of Pittsboro and everyone had a northern accent. I have only been gone for 20 years and the southern way of life is gone. Thats the reason I came back to North Carolina was for the southern way life I grew up in.

Last edited by newguy38; 04-26-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Cary, Apex and Pittsboro have become suburbs of the greater Triangle area. If you want to find a southern town you need to go a little more than an hour from a metro.
We are out here.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,854 times
Ok good, thanks for the post. I am thinking about going to Siler City to look for a home, is Siler City still southern

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Siler City definitely is, but remote and that can be good or bad. You probably find good price of home in that area since it not transplant infested.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM

983 posts, read 3,523,129 times
Come further south...down towards Smithfield, Fayetteville, lower Cumberland counties..you'll hear our southern accent. I live in southeastern Cumberland county about 30 minutes from Fayetteville...have been here my entire life. And I have such a southern accent, I've even been accused of being from Alabama!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM

386 posts, read 550,679 times
The culture is getting watered down like VA and MD. Comes with the territory of having a good job market sadly. Hell Im hard pressed to find southern accents near my central maryland home (other then family) and usually have to drive an hour east or west to get back to my way of life. Sorry but its just the way of things in MD/VA/NC in the metro areas.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM

21,980 posts, read 27,263,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
The culture is getting watered down like VA and MD. Comes with the territory of having a good job market sadly. Hell Im hard pressed to find southern accents near my central maryland home (other then family) and usually have to drive an hour east or west to get back to my way of life. Sorry but its just the way of things in MD/VA/NC in the metro areas.
I know where the southern accents are in MD, DE, & South Jersey. What surprised me a little was that there is an accent in Gastonia & Charlotte that is very similar to one of the Philadelphia accents. It's not like it's over-run with Philadelphians.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I know where the southern accents are in MD, DE, & South Jersey. What surprised me a little was that there is an accent in Gastonia & Charlotte that is very similar to one of the Philadelphia accents. It's not like it's over-run with Philadelphians.
Never heard southern accents in NJ, must have been transplants. As for deleware seems to be the southern half, but I dont spend much time in northern deleware.

Sadly the lack of an accent and culture is common with high occupation population areas. While its great that places like the triangle, NOVA/DC/Baltimore brings jobs to our states, it also opens the flood gates of yankees to populate our states. MD has had the worse occupation off and on since 1861.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

21,980 posts, read 27,263,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Never heard southern accents in NJ, must have been transplants. As for deleware seems to be the southern half, but I dont spend much time in northern deleware.

Sadly the lack of an accent and culture is common with high occupation population areas. While its great that places like the triangle, NOVA/DC/Baltimore brings jobs to our states, it also opens the flood gates of yankees to populate our states. MD has had the worse occupation off and on since 1861.
There's a decidedly southern accent South Jersey, near Delaware Bay. {f you go there, make a stop around Woodstown & you'll hear it. Yhey are natives. If you don't hear it, they're transplants.

I understand your comment about 1861, but what happened in 1864 when Maryland went for Lincoln, unlike KY, DE, & NJ?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's a decidedly southern accent South Jersey, near Delaware Bay. {f you go there, make a stop around Woodstown & you'll hear it. Yhey are natives. If you don't hear it, they're transplants.

I understand your comment about 1861, but what happened in 1864 when Maryland went for Lincoln, unlike KY, DE, & NJ?
In MD anyone who opposed him was thrown in jail do not pass go do not collect $200. No trial. Plus there was alot of yankee muscle to push whatever was needed or else. I doubt the state being pro Breckenridge in 1860 magically changed the true feelings after nearly 4 years of martial law and civil rights being non existent in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina