U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,742 times

Advertisements

I am 23 years old and I currently live in Tampa. I will be graduating next summer with a bachelor's degree from USF (GO BULLS!) and moving to North Carolina at the end of next year (Nov) or the very beginning of 2009 (Jan). My boyfriend and I would like to know where we should move, so that we can get an idea of what we're getting into and start saving. We'd like to stay in an apartment for at least two years before we commit to a buying a house. I have been reading some of the threads and I see that it's pretty much a consensus not to move to EASTERN NC. Our requirements:

-Good paying jobs in Accounting or Management
-Fair Weather - not too hot not too cold (Florida is the absolute WORST! I would like to experience actual SEASONS)
-Low Crime
-Good public education for when children come along
-Thriving economy
-Diversity (I am black and my boyfriend is Hispanic. Race is not an issue for us, of course...but it is for others)
-Decent housing - not the slums, ghetto and nothing too pricy (living in FL is expensive enough)

I really don't want to LIVE IN THE CITY, I wouldn't mind living in a neighboring town and commuting to work (1 hr or less) daily. I grew up in the country and the city life isn't my cup of tea. I chose NC because we used to drive through it every year going to New York when I was younger and that place is absolutely beautiful.

Any guidance that you could give us would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
EC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,470 times
The Raleigh or Charlotte areas might be good for y'all. Plenty of smaller towns nearby to live in since you don't want to live in the city.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
The Raleigh or Charlotte areas might be good for y'all. Plenty of smaller towns nearby to live in since you don't want to live in the city.
Ditto! I'd also throw in some of the towns around Winston Salem. My brother-in-law is white and his wife black and they live the area (Kernersville) and love living there. But the Charlotte and Raleigh areas would be really good too. Those are the two strongest economies in NC.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM

23 posts, read 77,542 times
I also live in Tampa but plan on moving to NC within 6-8 months or so. I think I'm leaning towards Charlotte. I've heard that is where the Banking (Finance) industry is strong so it might work for you. I'm still getting advice, but I would suggest Charlotte or Raleigh. The only thing is you might want to look on the outskirts of Charlotte - because Charlotte may be too "City" for your taste. My friend is in an interracial relationship (she's Black and her boyfriend is White) and she lives in Mooresville, I think it's like a little suburb and she likes it. She moved from Tampa too. Can you believe those Bulls beat WV! OMG - everyone in my office is going to the game tomorrow - good luck! Hey and I'm originally from NJ - seasons are over-rated - you'll see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or