Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times

Advertisements

I spotted a nice little house just outside of Littleton, N.C.

I've never heard of the town. Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
We researched the area near Lake Gaston as a possible retirement area. Littleton is just south of the lake, and there's not much to it. There's a few stores and a couple restaurants. We also saw some older houses worth restoring. If you can live that far out away from a big city, it could be a nice option.

The traffic might get busy on summer weekends. The only other red flag we saw is there is a dirt-bike track, and they get noisy for up to 2 miles away. You can spot the track in aerial views on Google maps.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM

The older homes I saw on Realtor.com were lacking air-conditioning and needed work, but were good buys. The lovely Craftsman one on Odell-Littleton Road was far from the dirt-bike track.

The area is just too far out in the country for anyone to make a living. That's why they are cheap. But you might also check the water and septic, and whether the wiring would pass inspection.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Default Spot on

Thanks Goldenage1

Real good advice.
I'm retired so having a job doesn't mean much to me. BUT ... I am thinking twice about moving to a location that is remote at my age and doing it alone.
Current advice is it's better to be closer to the things I'll need ...

A college/university
veterans hospital
Home Depot
Farm suppliers... etc...

That sure is a cute house, ain't it?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Current advice is it's better to be closer to the things I'll need ...

A college/university
veterans hospital
Home Depot
Farm suppliers... etc...

That sure is a cute house, ain't it?
The Durham area has all of the above, and there are occasional interesting older farm-houses in the towns north of Durham like Butner, Timberlake, and Person and Granville Counties.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Outside of Lake Gaston, there is nothing around. It was a big event when the Food Lion was built on the north side of the lake a few years back. To do any shopping, you have to go to Roanoke Rapids. It is nice if you have people there, or LOVE the water, or whatever. But I wouldn't move there if I was doing it on my own.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Fayetteville has all you are looking for.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Littleton is nice if you live on the Lake, otherwise I see no point to it. A very sleepy town with virtually nothing to do except for the seafood festival which is a LOT of fun.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Thanks all of you.
You're all, "facets on a diamond."
From each of your comments, I see a slightly different and better perspective.
(That's what this board is for I guess.)

Goldenage1 ... you're a jewel by yourself.

Big thanks everyone.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Have you found a place yet. Please note the elevation for this place. But it sounds wonderful to me. I might be tempted to buy it myself but moving out of North Carolina would complicate my retirement health care.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hillsville-Virginia.html

If you are open to suggestion, I have a friend that is moving from this little town to be closer to relatives. This looks like a safe place beside of Eastern North Carolina. The mountains just don't seem to have as much crime.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Little...-Carolina.html
Compare the temperatures and snow amounts also.

If you haven't found what you want, you may want to let us know what you are looking for. The reason I told you about this is that the lady I know lived there alone and loved it.

Last edited by NCN; 04-29-2012 at 11:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina