Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times

Advertisements

I know folks on C-D have gone round and round on the effectiveness of safety inspections for vehicles here in NC. The CO put together a decent article about it.

Here it is from today's online site:

Inconsistency and cheating weaken vehicle inspections | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Annual safety inspections are a bit much.

At ownership change (used cars)? Absolutely.
After X years of unchanged ownership? (like 10?) OK
Every single vehicle and every single year? Get real.

As to annual emissions equipment tests in the more urban areas...
That's about getting Federal Money for roads.

hth

Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 AM

364 posts, read 635,459 times
It is a big money maker for NC and auto shops. It would be nice if they did away with inspections as those vehicles that year after year do or should not pass they either bribe the shop they go to or have someone that will pass them anyways. Or get this they just drive it anyways. I am sure there is a group of people that fraudulantly make these tags.

I guess what I am saying is those who are by the book are the ones that get taken sometimes with this system or auto shops that lie to them or say you need x,y,z to pass and oh by the way that will be $1000 or whatever. If anything maybe NC could move to having auto inspections every other year? I doubt that will happen though...but I though not all that long ago they talked of getting rid of inspections (maybe I'm cynical, but probably if they implement another tax or road tax for fuel/tolls/etc).

Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM

468 posts, read 826,639 times
Inspections are a joke.

They don't lift the car off the ground and check suspensions and exhaust systems and other compontents.

They don't pull the wheels and check the brake linings/pads as well as shoes/calipers.

Checking the lights and horn that the inspection stations do can be done by any police officer during a traffic stop and probably more effective.

The only thing that might be worth while is the emission test but why do them only on newer vehicles and not the older ones that are more likely to be alterted or have defective systems that exceede emission standards.

It is just a money making racket!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
A car may fail or pass inspection.

That status does not make the driver any better or worse.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Annual safety inspections are a bit much.

At ownership change (used cars)? Absolutely.
After X years of unchanged ownership? (like 10?) OK
Every single vehicle and every single year? Get real.

As to annual emissions equipment tests in the more urban areas...
That's about getting Federal Money for roads.

hth

I agree. Why do I have to have my brand new car inspected a year later or two or three. Could it really be that bad off after a few years???

Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I agree. Why do I have to have my brand new car inspected a year later or two or three. Could it really be that bad off after a few years???
Theoretically, yes, if you failed to repair broken lights, brakes, etc. Certainly that's not likely, and as someone already stated there is little "inspection" to an inspection. The last time I was inspected by someone I didn't know they did find a microscopic crack in the fan belt and suggested I replace it. I said no, and it lasted three more years until I swapped it while replacing the water pump.

I hadn't given it any thought, but it does seem silly to require inspection for vehicles under a certain age.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times
i had a guy say he wouldn't pass me until i bought new wipers...
I have a new guy I go to now lol

Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Well, the truth comes out. NC auto inspections are more about money than safety.

The proposal in Raleigh to eliminate safety inspections for new cars was shelved because the inspections stations need the money!

Car inspection industry squelches bill to end required checks for new cars | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,398 times
I will say, inspections on cars less than 5 years old is excessive, but I'm here to tell you I have seen some pretty scary stuff on the road. Most of you will do a decent job of maintaining you car, but some less fortunate people out there will get by because they cannot afford new tires or brakes.
Cars today get the mileage with the performance they do, primarily because the auto makers were forced to do so after the fuel crunches and smog of the 70s and 80s. On board computers are a direct result of this action. The check engine lamp is an indicator that something is amiss with the fuel management and emissions systems. It would not surprise me, if not in the future, your car will send a message via satellite to some entity reporting the problem and you will be required to make repairs in a certain time frame. Then we'll really be chapped.
As for shops turning heads and passing failing cars. That's a thing of the past. It's not that simple anymore. Not to mention the fines and loss of licenses is not worth the risk. You think it's a pain in the but for you, try owning an inspection facility. Those guys get it up the rear royally. And yes, the DMV sends out undercover agents and will also do surveillance. A lot of shops only do it for the covienence to their customers.
It's truly not the money grab many of you think it is. At least not for shop owners. It boils down to honest and dishonest people. You have to be smart and do your homework when finding a repair facility. It's no different than anything else. I'd be willing to bet most people spend more time researching reviews and reps for cell phones and flat screens than they do on repair shops. Just be a wise educated consumer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina