U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,140,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
No political party has a monopoly on ignorance .....
True, but many church's do.

The fact the congregation didn't get up in the middle of his hate filled rant and walk out in disgust proves that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,352,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
True, but many church's do.

The fact the congregation didn't get up in the middle of his hate filled rant and walk out in disgust proves that.
Not only did the congregation not walk out -- many of the members encouraged him to continue. It was appalling.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM

8,921 posts, read 6,350,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques95 View Post
- the amendment did not explicitly say anything about hating gay people or "banning" any type of civil unions. If you poll North Carolina, more than 55% of voters support civil unions or gay marriage. But the amendment was worded in such a way that people that are not dedicated viewers of the local news would not know that it bans civil unions.

So, basically what you're saying is the people who voted for Amendment 1 do not hate homosexuals, but are instead just complete idiots who fail at reading comprehension?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,308,074 times
Quote:
Not only did the congregation not walk out -- many of the members encouraged him to continue. It was appalling.
Some people are just very dark on the inside.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM

272 posts, read 136,484 times
Mississippi, here we come!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 9 days ago)

21,921 posts, read 38,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Awesome a Klan Rally, kinda ironic to choose a town called Harmony.
The caucasion makeup is 84% of that hamlet.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM

4,886 posts, read 5,324,375 times
Quote:
What about the members who are now going on camera to support him?
Church member defends pastor Worley Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

It is now being reported that this church is a "30 minutes drive" from Charlotte.
KTH: Pastor preaches about eliminating gays Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Though the drive time from Charlotte is actually 45 mins to an hour, it really doesn't matter. Clearly, the media will use this as a wake up call to the DNC for choosing Charlotte as a host city for their convention. 2012 is certainly the year that each and every dirty little secret of NC (secrets that have long been accepted truths) will get exposed. This state is by no means a "Mississippi"; but we will know what it's like to be portrayed as such in the National media.

We have a choice within this state; open up our hearts and minds to acceptance and change; or suffer the economic consequences that come with being thought of as a backwards 1950s throwback to the old days of Jim Crowism and "down south" politics.

Obviously, homosexual intolerance is not exactly the same as racist politics.... But are they really all that different from each other? Hate is hate; inequality is inequality. Though we are dealing with two totally different targets; the same dart is being thrown.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM

1,052 posts, read 984,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What about the members who are now going on camera to support him?
Church member defends pastor Worley – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

It is now being reported that this church is a "30 minutes drive" from Charlotte.
KTH: Pastor preaches about eliminating gays – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Though the drive time from Charlotte is actually 45 mins to an hour, it really doesn't matter. Clearly, the media will use this as a wake up call to the DNC for choosing Charlotte as a host city for their convention. 2012 is certainly the year that each and every dirty little secret of NC (secrets that have long been accepted truths) will get exposed. This state is by no means a "Mississippi"; but we will know what it's like to be portrayed as such in the National media.

We have a choice within this state; open up our hearts and minds to acceptance and change; or suffer the economic consequences that come with being thought of as a backwards 1950s throwback to the old days of Jim Crowism and "down south" politics.

Obviously, homosexual intolerance is not exactly the same as racist politics.... But are they really all that different from each other? Hate is hate; inequality is inequality. Though we are dealing with two totally different targets; the same dart is being thrown.
Couldn't agree with you more UC! This IS the consequence of supporting Amendment One w/o fully understanding what you were really voting for! Amendment One goes way beyond banning gay marriage, which btw, was already banned in this state! This piece of legislation also targeted common-law marriage, children who are raised by single parents or by their grandparents will also be affected by this legislation, but people on here like Ernest T. Bass won't tell you that, they want to rub in that their side won and quote the Bible about how gay marriage was a threat against traditional marriage, but lack the humility to not be boastful as well, the Bible also teaches against that, apparently he overlooked that part! I may not agree with gay marriage myself, however, I thought all along that Amendment One was a waste of time when we have more things to worry about, yes I'm talking to you politicians who thought this issue was more important than getting North Carolinians back to work, I'm looking to vote each one of them out of office in November as possible!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM

2,229 posts, read 3,082,139 times
Agreed, prw. Even if you are against gay marriage, it should seem obvious that the language of this amendment is bad. I could understand "Marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman", even though I still would have opposed it. I can't understand "marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state". How does this even make any sense? But instead of considering whether this was a good or bad amendment, people fixated on "voting against gay marriage".

Even if you are against gay marriage, you should be able to recognize how badly worded this is. I wish someone with a brain could have convinced these people of that.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM

1,052 posts, read 984,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Agreed, prw. Even if you are against gay marriage, it should seem obvious that the language of this amendment is bad. I could understand "Marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman", even though I still would have opposed it. I can't understand "marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state". How does this even make any sense? But instead of considering whether this was a good or bad amendment, people fixated on "voting against gay marriage".

Even if you are against gay marriage, you should be able to recognize how badly worded this is. I wish someone with a brain could have convinced these people of that.
Here's the hypocracyin all of this, as an African American, it doesn't matter if you go to church or don't go to church, we've been conditioned as a community that gays are not accecpted, however, common law marriage or unwed couples living together has been okay in our community b/c the majority of young unwed couples living together is higher in the black community than other ethnic groups! Unfortunately, not only did African Americans drive up the Yes vote for Amendment One, but they also voted to do away with common law marriage, something that has been accepted in our community for a long time! Over time as this law is still in place, we will learn to regret the decision that we made b/c of our zeal to make sure that gays were denied their rights as citizens! In the end, the black community, IMO, was really suckered b/c we didn't fully understand what was really at stake b/c the majority of us blindly voted against gay marriage! Futhermore, I feel for the single moms out there, b/c as an African American, I fully understand the reality that a lot of our young children are raised by single mothers and they will be affected by this amendment! Once this sinks in, we will realize the error of our ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina