U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 13 days ago)

7,202 posts, read 8,215,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Ugh, the negative attention for our state keeps going..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,998,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Here's the hypocracyin all of this, as an African American, it doesn't matter if you go to church or don't go to church, we've been conditioned as a community that gays are not accecpted, however, common law marriage or unwed couples living together has been okay in our community b/c the majority of young unwed couples living together is higher in the black community than other ethnic groups! Unfortunately, not only did African Americans drive up the Yes vote for Amendment One, but they also voted to do away with common law marriage, something that has been accepted in our community for a long time! Over time as this law is still in place, we will learn to regret the decision that we made b/c of our zeal to make sure that gays were denied their rights as citizens! In the end, the black community, IMO, was really suckered b/c we didn't fully understand what was really at stake b/c the majority of us blindly voted against gay marriage! Futhermore, I feel for the single moms out there, b/c as an African American, I fully understand the reality that a lot of our young children are raised by single mothers and they will be affected by this amendment! Once this sinks in, we will realize the error of our ways!
I'll add to this by saying that many "black churches" are FULL of gay members (especially the music directors). This being said, it just blows my mind when I see the level of homophobia within the AA community. We are a race of people who have literally turned our backs on our gay cousins, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, children, and grand parents (because most of us have more than just one gay/bisexual relative).

I've seen so called "men/women of the cloth" preach against homosexuality knowing the entire time that their child or grandchild (sitting in the front row of the church) was gay. In many cases, the gay relative was at the church with their partner. It is amazing how something as trivial as sexual behavior can make family turn on each other "in the name of God". How can one give a sermon about gays burning in hell when his/her first born child is at the same church listening with their partner? Where's the humanity and the love? The more and more that I sit back and watch what is going on with theism in this world; the more I am reminded of why I chose to walk away from it. The message of love, equality, fellowship, acceptance of diversity etc are all lacking and it's been that way for quite some time now. Sickening when one sits back and thinks about it...

Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,741,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll add to this by saying that many "black churches" are FULL of gay members (especially the music directors). This being said, it just blows my mind when I see the level of homophobia within the AA community. We are a race of people who have literally turned our backs on our gay cousins, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, children, and grand parents (because most of us have more than just one gay/bisexual relative).

I've seen so called "men/women of the cloth" preach against homosexuality knowing the entire time that their child or grandchild (sitting in the front row of the church) was gay. In many cases, the gay relative was at the church with their partner. It is amazing how something as trivial as sexual behavior can make family turn on each other "in the name of God". How can one give a sermon about gays burning in hell when his/her first born child is at the same church listening with their partner? Where's the humanity and the love? The more and more that I sit back and watch what is going on with theism in this world; the more I am reminded of why I chose to walk away from it. The message of love, equality, fellowship, acceptance of diversity etc are all lacking and it's been that way for quite some time now. Sickening when one sits back and thinks about it...
It's certainly not just AA churches, it's many, many, many churches. That said, I can understand the particular disappointment in AA churches given the history of oppression used against the AA community in the name of God... using the bible to justify discriminatory laws and practices. On a related note and given oppression that they faced at the hands of the Nazis, I'd be very interested to see the breakdown on how NC's Jewish citizens voted.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,902,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Awesome a Klan Rally, kinda ironic to choose a town called Harmony.
The caucasion makeup is 84% of that hamlet.
Has been cancelled, or moved. Local news reported last night that it being relocated to someplace in Virginia, but could not confirm that.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,366,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's certainly not just AA churches, it's many, many, many churches. That said, I can understand the particular disappointment in AA churches given the history of oppression used against the AA community in the name of God... using the bible to justify discriminatory laws and practices. On a related note and given oppression that they faced at the hands of the Nazis, I'd be very interested to see the breakdown on how NC's Jewish citizens voted.
Yes, that's a statistic I have not seen, though Jews (except Orthodox Jews, of which there are few in NC) are traditionally progressive on social justice issues. Actually there were no exit polls done for this election so nobody can really say how any group, including racial groups, voted, except to examine the demographics of various precincts and compare them to to actual vote from those precincts. In fact, a few heavy African-American areas did reject the amendment, even in counties where the rest of the county did not (Scotland Neck in Halifax cty, which has a history of racial injustice, and part of Warren county). This article mentions that the real divide is urban vs rural, not so much racial. Also, though it came after the Amendment One vote, apparently President Obama's declaration that he is not against same-sex marriage has already caused African-Americans to be more likely to support it.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 AM

2,415 posts, read 2,419,793 times
ONE of the oldest cons is BAIT and SWITCH. The Remedy is trust but verify. In school it was DIRECT THEN INSPECT. When the inspectors are not trust worthy the system breaks down. When communication becomes False the System breaks down. as it was written "In the end times there will be FALSE PROPHETS" to me this truism is a natural law, meaning when people can not tell or perceive the truth the end is near, the sign of an ENDING is false communication.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM

964 posts, read 2,041,361 times
Personally, I thought her comment was quite funny. She's not running for re-election because she wouldn't win, BUT that does carry the one advantage in freeing her to shoot from the hip. God forbid a politician actually says what they feel. I can respect that. And when you have a gang of political figures who have run and been elected promoting one platform (which voters actually dared to believe in): fiscal responsibility, only to then backslide into the same old divide-and-conquer social issues-based baiting of the populace, it does tick some other people off.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM

172 posts, read 229,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Governor Perdue said people around the country are watching the state and are confused. She said North Carolina was a progressive and a forward thinking state that stood up for civil rights. The governor said people now are asking what's going on with North Carolina and added, "We look like Mississippi."

read more NC governor: 'We look like Mississippi' after vote | www.wsoctv.com
This is not the first state to outlaw gay marriage, and we are a LOOOOOONG ways away from Mississippi.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,902,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
This is not the first state to outlaw gay marriage, and we are a LOOOOOONG ways away from Mississippi.
Are we? The vote on May 8 and the preacher men spewing their hate before and after is making Mississippi look good.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,127,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
Getting closer to MS every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina