U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,060 posts, read 12,937,993 times
Reputation: 4331

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
And a few thousand people from the liquor guzzling North moving in.

The day legal liquor sales started in Wilkes County, three drunk teens were killed in a horrible car accident. Yes, that was a definite change and I think if one would check the statistics there are more accidents involving liquor now then there were before the liquor by the drink passed.
This may surprise you, hon, but not every Yankee drinks booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 AM
 
2,978 posts, read 2,403,738 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The day legal liquor sales started in Wilkes County, three drunk teens were killed in a horrible car accident. Yes, that was a definite change and I think if one would check the statistics there are more accidents involving liquor now then there were before the liquor by the drink passed.
First of all, teens are not allowed to buy alcohol.

If those teens were foolish enough to buy alcohol illegally, don't you think they would have found a way to get it somehow whether it was sold in their county or not?

It's a coincidence they happened to do it on the day liquor-by-the-drink was passed. On the day it passed, there would not yet have been any liquor available to buy. Once it passes, businesses still have to wait quite a while to get their liquor licenses.

And have you checked the statistics to prove there are now more accidents? There are studies that show that dry counties have more drunk driving accidents than wet counties. That is because people in dry counties have to travel longer distances to get alcohol and some of them start drinking on the road instead of waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,060 posts, read 12,937,993 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, the governor said the same thing too, but you are both wrong. The law we had could be overturned by one gay couple going to court and winning a law suit. The amendment is stronger than that.
Really? You really think that? Was anyone doing anything?

Well, be proud of yourself. A group of gays got arrested today for demanding marriage licenses. The court case has begun. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Chicago
36,374 posts, read 57,184,856 times
Reputation: 25270
I'll give her credit for being honest enough to share her contempt for her own constituents with them. No doubt they're primed to return the favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,060 posts, read 12,937,993 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'll give her credit for being honest enough to share her contempt for her own constituents with them. No doubt they're primed to return the favor.
She's not running again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Chicago
36,374 posts, read 57,184,856 times
Reputation: 25270
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
She's not running again.
Spoilsport. That's like a death row inmate committing suicide a month before the state is scheduled to do the job, denying them the pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 AM
 
2,580 posts, read 2,408,034 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
She's not running again.
Imagine the honesty we could get out of our politicians if we limited them to one term. Maybe we could extend it to 6 years for governors and presidents. At this rate it's just one long campaign at all levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 AM
NCN
 
14,085 posts, read 12,314,739 times
Reputation: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
First of all, teens are not allowed to buy alcohol.

If those teens were foolish enough to buy alcohol illegally, don't you think they would have found a way to get it somehow whether it was sold in their county or not?

It's a coincidence they happened to do it on the day liquor-by-the-drink was passed. On the day it passed, there would not yet have been any liquor available to buy. Once it passes, businesses still have to wait quite a while to get their liquor licenses.

And have you checked the statistics to prove there are now more accidents? There are studies that show that dry counties have more drunk driving accidents than wet counties. That is because people in dry counties have to travel longer distances to get alcohol and some of them start drinking on the road instead of waiting.
Well, it was Saturday night when the accident happened and it certainly was the subject of discussion at church the next day. A friend probably bought the liquor for them, but it was the first time people in that county could buy not liquor by the drink, but liquor at the ABC store.

If all the counties were dry, then there would be no drunk drivers. Liquor by the drink is consumed before driving anywhere. It is consumed at the bar or dinner table.

And yes those liquor guzzlers would not stop until they have a right to fill their brains with booze. Looks like we have another bunch about like them that insist on having their poison. Have you read the statistics lately on what percentage of gay couples have aids. I saw the statistics lately and I can't remember exactly what it was, but the percentage was high. You would think the governor would be for keeping down health costs. Some people have said that the health plan and aids will be the combination that bankrupts our nation.

Last edited by NCN; 05-12-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,060 posts, read 12,937,993 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Imagine the honesty we could get out of our politicians if we limited them to one term. Maybe we could extend it to 6 years for governors and presidents. At this rate it's just one long campaign at all levels.
I have to say, I've liked Bev. She's been a refreshing change from my last female governor, Christie Todd Whitman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,060 posts, read 12,937,993 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Well, it was Saturday night when the accident happened and it certainly was the subject of discussion at church the next day.

If all the counties were dry, then there would be no drunk drivers. Liquor by the drink is consumed before driving anywhere. It is consumed at the bar or dinner table.
Really? You think that? Wasn't the whole country dry during Prohibition?

My Scotch-Irish grandfather ran a still. He & my German grandfather both brewed beer, & that was in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top