I had a humbling moment while walking back towards the office from the cafeteria. I asked a colleague of mine why the flags were at half mast today. I keep a loose eye on the news throughout the day and wasn't aware of any specific reason. So as is common, I turned to Google.
I was ashamed to be told that today is the day set aside to remember those Peace Officers that have given their lives in the line of duty. My shame comes not only from failing to realize the significance of the day but also, and more personally, because last August a friend of mine from PA was among those killed in the line of duty.
So, if you will indulge me for a moment and remember those from NC that lost their lives last year and all those that have sacrificed before them:
- Colonroche Elieser, NC 07/05/11 Sanford Police Department
- Dawson III David, NC 08/01/11 Greene County Sheriff's Office
- Lewis III Warren, NC 06/09/11 Nash County Sheriff's Office
- Rhyne Richard, NC 12/08/11 Moore County Sheriff's Office
- Settle Jeffrey, NC 08/04/11 NC Department of Correction
- Thornton Fred, NC 02/25/11 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
- Willingham Jr Russell, NC 07/30/11 Winston-Salem Police Department
And though not from NC,
- Lasso Robert, PA 08/11/11 Freemansburg Borough Police Department
Source: National Police Week 2012