U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM

3,421 posts, read 9,215,040 times

Advertisements

I need a handicap parking placard. I know, you're thinking "OK, so get one". Well, it's not quite that easy. Here's the deal:

It's not for me. I'm the sole responsible party and acting power of attorney for a family member. I have her current placard, but it's expiring soon and it's really worn out. I'm solely responsible for providing all of her non-medical transportation on a regular basis. I need to be able to park with room to get her in and out of her wheelchair.

The state requires a doctor's written order for a placard. The DMV will not issue one without the order regardless of the circumstances. Her doctor won't issue the written order. I don't know why specifically since I have no direct access to her. I can only work through nurses, PA's and Social Workers from the state. My doctor won't place the order for me because I'm not the one who needs it.

So, once again, it looks like I'll need to hire an attorney to find a way to get something done. Why does it always have to be this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM

28,358 posts, read 61,566,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I need a handicap parking placard. Here's the deal: It's not for me.
Then YOU don't need a placard... do you?
That family member needs the placard...
and can use it for whatever car they may be driving in that day.

Quote:
The state requires a doctor's written order for a placard.
Her doctor won't issue the written order. I don't know why...
Probably something to do with how you're explaining it.
Try again and be clear that it's all in the other person's name.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,768,375 times
I know some states allow doctors to write one for family members who transport immediate family that is disabled. It might be doctor preference?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 3,346,157 times
If you are the power of attorney (I assume for health care?), then call any one of her doctors and ask for assistance in obtaining one. Why are you not speaking with the doctor? You say you have legal permission to speak on her behalf.

Something doesn't sound right.... this is not rocket science.

How to Obtain a Disabled Parking Permit in North Carolina | eHow.com

Of course your own personal doctor cannot request one! You have to speak with HER doctor and request one, if they approve.

If her doctor refuses to write for one, there must be a reason. You have to have severe disability to be eligible for a parking permit. If she no longer has such a disability, maybe her doctor realizes she is no longer eligible. They are not for convenience, but they are for people with advanced heart failure, paralysis, end stage lung cancer etc... when you can barely walk short distances without much assistance/oxygen etc... There is much abuse of parking permits, so doctors are being more closely monitored to be sure they are not giving them out too freely.

Print out the form online, fill it out except for the doctor part. Call the doctor and ask if you can mail it/fax it to them - so they can fill out their part. Mail it back to you.

Of course you don't need to hire a lawyer for this.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,860,040 times
There is a form (please look on the DMV website or visit a DMV office).

Then give the form to the person that needs the placard and tell them their doctor must complete the form.

Then take the person with completed form to a DMV office and obtain the placard, it will be registered to the person that requires it. (think there is a small fee, maybe $5).

The person that requires the placard should maintain possession, but it can be used by anyone she is actually riding with.

My MIL had one for years, though she didn't own a car or drive (thankfully)

Old 05-17-2012, 05:42 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,860,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Of course you don't need to hire a lawyer for this.
But there are lawyers that would take their money to do this

Old 05-18-2012, 06:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 3,346,157 times
I just read at an earlier thread that you are assisting someone with Huntington's disease.

I am very sorry to hear about this.

Just call her neurologist's office, and ask who can assist you with this. I would be shocked if some person wasn't decent enough to lend a hand. Just make it easy for them by providing the filled out form.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM

3,421 posts, read 9,215,040 times
Just an FYI, here it is August, and still no placard. I pulled the form from the DMV website, filled it in as best I could, and then dropped it off at the nursing home in an envelope labeled with the doctor's name, and left instructions that they have the doctor fill in and sign where needed and send it to the DMV.

They neglected to include the payment for the fee, so DMV rejected it. No one has seen it since.

So, I re-did the form and once again left it for the doctor to fill in and sign, only this time I asked that it be returned to me so I can personally deliver it to the DMV. That was three weeks ago, and now no one knows where the form is and whether or not the doctor has filled it in and signed it.

So, once again, I'll bring over a copy of the form tomorrow and ask for it to be passed on to the doctor.

I did mention this to my attorney. He was stumped as to why this is so difficult and why DMV is being such a ball-buster on this.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,049,862 times
I don't understand why you're blaming the DMV. You haven't yet submitted a properly completed form with payment--they're just following the rules.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,928,139 times
Superk: I would find out how to mail this directly to the physician and send it via certified mail, with a cover letter, explaining that you have POA and need this so you can transport your family member when she is in your charge.

Include a self addressed, stamped envelope for the doctor to return the form directly to you.

In addition, once you get the signed form back from the physician, you might consider making a copy of it and asking the Administrator of the facility to have it placed in your family members records.

There is one thing that I am wondering about . . . is it possible someone else in the family has already secured a handicapped parking permit for your family member and thus, the physician is not willing to give his permission to issue another one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or