U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,924 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I have read through the threads but do not really see any that are asking the questions I want opinions on. I am a 32 year old single mother currently living in Northern California. I work in law enforcement and have a great job. I have wanted to move to NC for years and there is no reason not to really. I have read other threads that say I will be bored coming from CA to NC within a year and will miss the quickness of CA, but I by no means like the business of CA, or want to continue living here. I know they are two different worlds, and will have culture shock, but I think what people are assuming by reading the other threads about moving from CA to NC or SC, is that everyone in CA drives convertibles at 100mph and live a fast pace life. I actually live in a very small farming community which is quiet and slow. I want to move to NC because I truly feel that I could provide a better life(cost of living, economy etc) there for my 5 year old son, than I can here. I love it there, and have always felt like I should have been born there rather than here. I have a friend who lives in SC and she said NC is the way to go. So, any suggestions for someone in my situation, such as areas to stay away from, gravitate to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 AM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferyan3565 View Post
currently living in Northern California.
The whole of North Carolina, 560mi x 150 mi (58,000 sq mi), is almost as big and geographically diverse as Northern California with everything to chose among from coastal beach towns through central valley like farming to mountains and forests with a few good sized cities sprinkled around as well.
It's all very nice... but it's just not anywhere near as much of anything as NorCal.

Quote:
I have read through the threads but do not really see any that are asking the questions I want opinions on.
Really? Ok... but you have to do your part and actually tell us what your special questions are.
I don't see anything in your post describing anything but the very generic stuff (provide a better life, cost of living, economy etc) that every other "thinking about moving to X thread is filled with.

Cutting to the chase... it all starts with work and income.
Whether X is the ideal town for you is immaterial if you can't find a job there.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

10,637 posts, read 11,239,796 times
Yeah, could you give us some more specifics about what you want out of a city/town/community?

NC is a pretty diverse state. The middle of the state, the piedmont, is where many people live and work and is where most newcomers settle. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (and Cary, Garner, Clayton, etc) make up the Triangle. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point make up the Triad. Charlotte is the biggest city in NC and closer to SC. There are innumerable "very small farming communities" in NC. Couldn't begin to count them, but I have no idea if you could find a job there.

The coast is not quite a long as the California coast, but if you count the sound communities as well as the beach communities you've got a whole lot of places.

Tons of small towns as well as a few small cities in the mountain region. Asheville is a great town, but again I don't know what you're looking for.

Come back with some more specifics and we can take another stab at it.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 PM

6 posts, read 15,924 times
Well, I've decided to just go see for myself next week, but thank you all for your answers.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM

10,392 posts, read 19,377,218 times
Quote:
Hey all. I have read through the threads but do not really see any that are asking the questions I want opinions on. I am a 32 year old single mother currently living in Northern California. I work in law enforcement and have a great job. I have wanted to move to NC for years and there is no reason not to really. I have read other threads that say I will be bored coming from CA to NC within a year and will miss the quickness of CA, but I by no means like the business of CA, or want to continue living here. I know they are two different worlds, and will have culture shock, but I think what people are assuming by reading the other threads about moving from CA to NC or SC, is that everyone in CA drives convertibles at 100mph and live a fast pace life. I actually live in a very small farming community which is quiet and slow. I want to move to NC because I truly feel that I could provide a better life(cost of living, economy etc) there for my 5 year old son, than I can here. I love it there, and have always felt like I should have been born there rather than here. I have a friend who lives in SC and she said NC is the way to go. So, any suggestions for someone in my situation, such as areas to stay away from, gravitate to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
This whole long post doesn't really have much in the way of a "question", except what areas to avoid? As others say, it is a VERY large and diverse state; we would need to know whether you wanted mountains, coast, or in between; city, rural or in between, liberal conservative, or in between...asking "where should I avoid in NC?" is like asking "Where should I avoid in California"--it's just way too general a question to answer without more specifics.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM

3,931 posts, read 7,500,607 times
Quote:
Well, I've decided to just go see for myself next week, but thank you all for your answers.
This is the best thing to do. You've chosen a good time, too, because you'll feel a little heat. Of course, it's just the beginning: July-August is much worse. Be sure to spend a lot of time outdoors doing active things.

For me the biggest shock from CA to NC was not culture shock but climate shock. Some people can take it, and some can't. I can't, and we're heading west as soon as the house sells.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM

676 posts, read 2,798,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This is the best thing to do. You've chosen a good time, too, because you'll feel a little heat. Of course, it's just the beginning: July-August is much worse. Be sure to spend a lot of time outdoors doing active things.

For me the biggest shock from CA to NC was not culture shock but climate shock. Some people can take it, and some can't. I can't, and we're heading west as soon as the house sells.
I personally found the culture shock to be equal to the climate shock! I always feel like such a wimp complaining about the weather too since the majority transplants seem to be from the north east and love this weather.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM

3,931 posts, read 7,500,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I personally found the culture shock to be equal to the climate shock! I always feel like such a wimp complaining about the weather too since the majority transplants seem to be from the north east and love this weather.
A lot of people just go from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned building. Those people tend to do fine here.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 PM

964 posts, read 2,042,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
LOL! I am born-and-raised in NC - roots so deep there's a documentary about my last name. I have a LOT of family in CA as well however, mostly within a 100-mile-radius of the Bay Area, and I've had the opportunity to move out on more than one occasion - I know some people, I know the climate, and can sorta-kinda find my way around.

But there are soooo many things about NC I love, and climate is one of the biggies: cold but not severely cold winters (excepting the Appalachian end of the state, which is whole 'nother conversation), thunderstorms (which I LOVE) in the spring, nice tropical summers, crisp and breezy autum. I would miss the climate so severely. Did I mention I love thunderstorms?: - really the whoppers that would have most people heading for a basement usually will have me wanting to watch from the windows, or crack the windows and take a power nap, or grab the camera and wait for lightning.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
...and climate is one of the biggies:
cold but not severely cold winters
thunderstorms (which I LOVE) in the spring,
nice tropical summers,
crisp and breezy autum.
Nice Adj : Pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory: "we had a nice time".

Tropical Adj : 1) Of, typical of, or peculiar to the tropics: "tropical countries"; "a tropical rain forest"
2) Resembling the tropics, esp. in being very hot and humid: "last year's tropical summer heat".

Oxymoron N. A figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction
(e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina