Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM

351 posts, read 632,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Too late now--it is part of the constitution.
I agree! Let's quit talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:

Too late now--it is part of the constitution.
Until the SCOUS overturns it. It will take a while, but the ignorance and bigotry of christianity will suffer a similiar defeat, as it did in 1967.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Until the SCOUS overturns it. It will take a while, but the ignorance and bigotry of christianity will suffer a similiar defeat, as it did in 1967.
Even so, it will still technically be a part of the constitution--just not enforceable. Many laws that have been declared unconstitutional are still "on the books".

Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
No it wouldn't affect me at all. I would have gone against my beliefs to voted differently. Can you not repect that?

Voting to deny rights to a certain segment of the population just because their belief system and lifestyle choices (which do not affect you in the least) differs from your own...I actually do have a bit of hard time respecting that.

The dogma of the Christian faith is not in line with my beliefs, yet if there was an initiative to deny certain rights to people just because they are Christians...I would vote in such a way as to defend the right of those individuals to not be treated differently because of their religious beliefs.

Quote:
Sometimes, you just have to believe!

I do not believe anything to be a fact just because someone says it is with no empirical evidence to back it up.

Quote:
Can you see air, no but you breath it. Can you see the wind, no but you can feel it's power. Can you see gravity, no but step off a tall building. Just because I cannot see all forces around me, does not mean they do not affect me.

That is correct, I cannot "see air" with the naked eye, but there is plenty of empirical evidence to demonstrate the existence of oxygen, carbon dioxide and other gasses in the air around me. Same with gravity - it may be invisible to the naked eye, but gravitational pull is a force that can be measured using principles of physics. There is a plethora of empirical evidence to demonstrate the existence of air, wind and gravity.

Quote:
Quote:
People are born two ways, male and female. I cannot explain the cause of their decision. However it is a decision.

Leaving aside for a moment that gender is not the same as sexual orientation...your claim is that homosexuality is a decision? Do you have proof of this, or is this simply a faith-based opinion that you choose to believe as fact?

Quote:
I do find comfort in, if he doesn't exist, it will just be lights out.

And I can respect that. Again, I am all for everyone choosing to believe in what they believe. But I do have a problem when others attempt to force everyone to live within the parameteres of their own belief system.

Quote:
What I do mind is, putting it in front of my kids.

Maybe some people mind a naked man nailed to a cross being put in front of their kids.

Quote:
Why do I have to be forced to explain this to them?

Because you are a parent and that is part of your job.

You cannot keep your children in a bubble and simply eradicate everything from view in the world that you may not want them to see.

One could ask the question, why should I be forced to explain to my kids why some people believe the world was created by an invisible man in the sky?

Quote:
In a way, you are forcing alternative ideals on a majority of people that may not want it in the mainstream!

There was a time when a majority of people in parts of this country may have said the same thing about interracial couples.

Quote:
It is undoubtably an alternative lifestyle, and should be considered in an alternative way.
To a homosexual couple, a heterosexual union is considered an alternative lifestyle. More to the point, there are many types (alternative) lifestyles, many of which have nothing to do with sexuality at all.

Quote:
I am saying that as a minority they must adhere to the majorities wishes.
If that was always the case, we might still have "separate but equal"...women may not have the right to vote, etc. Living in a democratic republic does not always equate to majority rule.

I would ask what if a majority of people in the state (or the country) voted to outlaw Christianity and forbid its practice...would you be ok with that because that is the will of the majority? I'm sure your response is that this would never happen...that's not my point. My point is that it is easy to say that, "the minority must adhere to the majority's wishes" when one is a part of the majority to begin with.

Quote:
This country has bent over backwards to make sure the little man's feelings are not hurt with all the political correctness, but i think the people have had enough. I truly believe a backlash is brewing (again, do not read too much into this), against all the BS that average person has to deal with just to satisfy the chest beating minority groups.
To an extent...we agree here. I am not a very PC type of person myself. But this isn't about hurting feelings or satisfying chest-beating minority groups...if you really think that is the crux of this argument then you are way off base and being extremely over-simplistic.

Quote:
In today's America, we all are free to be what we want to be, to do what we want to do and the only limiting factor is themselves. If someone today claims that they are being held back. It's their own fault and nothing more than an excuse for their own shortcomings!

Again, there is a part of this I agree with. But in the current context, this line of reasoning does not apply. In NC, if a homosexual couple is unable to obtain the same rights granted to a heterosexual couple, it is not due to any shortcomings on their part...it is due to legislation enacted to prevent that from happening. This is not the same as achiving success in the business world.

Quote:
Come on, really? Want me to make a case that the world is flat? I'm really weighing logic. These questions are purely in a quest for insight. You'll have to make a better case than that.

That dodges the question - and I think it is a legitimate one. If the argument is that homosexual unions are inferior based solely on the fact that they cannot "reproduce and repopulate the world" then it is fair to ask if heterosexual couples who cannot reproduce are also felt to be inferior as well. Are they? Or is it just way to divert from the fact that one thinks that homosexuals are just icky?

Many heterosexual couples with no biological offspring can still do a lot to raise the next generation of the country. Maybe it is through adoption, or teaching, or supporting local youth groups of one form or another.

You have Catholic priests who do not get married and reproduce, yet I doubt members of that organization would claim that they (priests) do not contribute to our society's future because they don't have children of their own.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,412,272 times
Quote:
I would have gone against my beliefs to voted differently. Can you not repect that?
[/color]
I understand your right to have those beliefs, but I don't respect beliefs that are bigoted, ignorant, primitive, and oppress others. So, no I don't respect your beliefs.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Even so, it will still technically be a part of the constitution--just not enforceable. Many laws that have been declared unconstitutional are still "on the books".
Yes, everlasting documentation of the ignorance and bigotry that thrives so in the buy bull belt.

Society only learns from mistakes of the past if they remember them. Now this one is chiseled into the constitution, as are racism and gender bias.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 AM

451 posts, read 1,564,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I understand your right to have those beliefs, but I don't respect beliefs that are bigoted, ignorant, primitive, and oppress others. So, no I don't respect your beliefs.
I have family and friends that are gay and this was not some decision they lightly made one day. This is how GOD made these wonderful people. It would be a huge surprise to some of these ignorant bigots, if they really knew how many of their family members or friends were really gay.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Until the SCOUS overturns it. It will take a while, but the ignorance and bigotry of christianity will suffer a similiar defeat, as it did in 1967
Quote:
Perhaps soon

Quote:
BOSTON — A battle over a federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman appears headed for the Supreme Court after an appeals court ruled Thursday that denying benefits to married gay couples is unconstitutional.
DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Appeals Court

Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,745 times
Quote:
So basically you don't respect anyone that disagrees with your view of the world. You can't just live and let live, you have to bend everyone to your way of thinking by demeaning them.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So basically you don't respect anyone that disagrees with your view of the world. You can't just live and let live, you have to bend everyone to your way of thinking by demeaning them.

I'll take Irony for $1000, Alex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina